Two students in a Francis Drake standard en suite room

Frequently asked questions

Here you can find some of our most frequently asked questions about the Accommodation Portal and life in halls. From lost passwords to TV licences, you'll find lots of useful information to help you access the Portal, make rent payments and familiarise yourself with your new home.
If you have a question that isn't answered here, feel free to contact the Accommodation Team to ask. You can email us at, or contact us on Facebook or Instagram
Student Ambassadors helping new arrivals to move in to Radnor Hall

Questions about applying for a room

When can I apply for accommodation?

Once you have confirmed the University as your firm first choice on UCAS, you will receive an email containing a link to our Accommodation Portal, which will open for applications in early February and close just before Results Day. If you have already confirmed us as your firm choice, you will receive an email notification once the Portal opens. Once the portal closes, you will then only be able to apply for accommodation if you secure your place through Clearing.

How do I select my hall preferences?

On the Accommodation Portal, you'll be able to see all the accommodation available to book. We don't ask for first, second or third preference; it's first come, first served. If you select a particular room type or profile (like alcohol free, quiet or single sex rooms) then you will only be shown available rooms which match those preferences. To see our full range of available accommodation just clear your preferences.

Am I guaranteed a room in halls if I'm a first year?

We understand how important it is for new students to find the home that's right for them, so that's why we offer an Accommodation Guarantee. We guarantee to offer a place in halls (either University-managed or with an accredited private halls provider) or in other suitable student accommodation to all new undergraduate students holding a firm offer who are eligible under our terms and conditions and apply before 17:00 on 4 July 2024.
Please note: to make an application for a place in halls, the University of Plymouth must be your first choice University. Once the Accommodation Portal opens, you will be sent an email inviting you to make an account and make your booking!

Plymouth is my insurance choice – can I still apply for accommodation?

In order to book a room in our University-managed accommodation, Plymouth must be your firm first choice on UCAS. If you make Plymouth your insurance choice, you won't be able to make a booking for our halls.

I'm a mature student. Can I stay in halls?

Yes. If you are a mature student (meaning a student who is 21 years old or older, or a returning student) who is beginning the first year of their undergraduate degree, you can apply for a place in our Halls of Residence. Please note that we do not have dedicated 'mature halls'. However, upon completing your application, you will be allocated a room in a flat with other mature students.

Can postgraduate students stay in halls?

No. Rooms in University-managed accommodation are currently only available to first year undergraduate students. If you're a postgraduate student looking for accommodation, you can find more information about what type of accommodation is available in the private sector on our website.

What if I am only studying during semester two? Can I still live in halls?

Students who are studying at the University of Plymouth for semester two can make an application on our Accommodation Portal. Room offers will be sent to students in December. You will be required to sign a licence agreement and pay the two weeks advanced rent payment within seven days.
The licence agreement will be for 24 weeks. You will pay the first 12 weeks' rent instalment in January, and the remaining 10 weeks' rent instalment in April.
Further information will be emailed to students once you have paid your advance rent and signed the licence.

When do I sign my licence for my room?

Around the end of June, we will invite you to log on to the Accommodation Portal to sign your licence agreement and make your two week advance rent payment. This payment is week 1 and week 2 of your overall rent, paid in advance. It is not a deposit and is therefore not returned to you at the end of your licence.
Please note: only the student intending to live in the room can sign the Halls of Residence licence agreement.

If I don't come to the University of Plymouth, will I get my money back?

Yes, of course! If you decide you aren't coming to study at Plymouth and you need to cancel your booking, please email to let us know. After the Admissions Team have confirmed you aren't enrolling, we'll process your refund. Once the refund has been processed, the money will appear back in your bank account after 3–5 working days. 

Can I stay in halls over the summer?

Yes. If you'd like to stay in Plymouth over the summer, a special student rate is available. The summer accommodation is en suite and is situated in a block reserved for summer accommodation residents only. Summer accommodation extends until the end of August, but your moving out date will be confirmed when you make your booking.

Will my belongings be insured?

Contents insurance is provided in Gilwell, Francis Drake, Robbins, Radnor, Pilgrim, Mary Newman, Astor House and Discovery Heights by Endsleigh Insurance. Contents insurance is provided in Frobisher House by Cover4Students.
For our on-campus and student village halls, you can view current insurance cover details on the Accommodation resources page of our website.

When will I get instructions about moving day for September?

At the end of August you will receive an email containing your move-in day date and time slot, your flat number, route maps and parking permits. If you have any questions once you've received that information, you can email the team at

I have disabilities or specific requirements – what support is available to me?

The University can provide support for students with disabilities and medical conditions. If you have applied by the deadline specified on our website, we will try and allocate a room that meets your requirements where possible. If you are a postgraduate or have specific requirements you may be interested in reading our accommodation advice about what support is available to you.

Can another person discuss my account with Accommodation Services?

Yes, but you will need to give them third party permissions. Please note, giving someone third party permissions is not the same as listing someone as your University trusted contact.
What is third party permission?:
During the application process, you will be able to nominate another person to talk about your application on your behalf (e.g. Parent/Guardian). Giving this person third party permissions will enable the Accommodation Team to contact the nominated person(s) in the following ways:
  • we can provide information about your accommodation application, room requirements and details of the licence
  • we can provide them with a copy of your licence agreement, confirm your term time address and share details about the balance of your account
  • we will copy them into emails when we send you reminders to accept your room offer, complete the fire safety module and when payments are due
  • we may occasionally discuss other matters with them where deemed appropriate, but we will always expect students to be the principal point of contact on any issues.
Please note that we will not discuss anything other than the above information with someone who has third party permission.
What is a trusted contact?
When you enrol, the University will ask for the details of someone they can contact in case of emergency. A person who is a trusted contact does not have the right to discuss your accommodation account. You can find out more information about trusted contacts on our website.

Questions about the Accommodation Portal

How do I log in?

First, you'll need to visit our Accommodation Portal. If it is your first time visiting the Portal, you will need to enter the email address you used for your UCAS application and your student number. This will trigger the system to send an email to your account within 30 minutes, which will contain a link for you to set your password. You will then be able to log into the Portal.
If you're having problems logging in after you've created an account, make sure you're logging in with the right email address. If you're still having problems, send us an email ( and we can sort it out.
Please note: we would advise you not to use your school or college email address on your UCAS application as they may be deactivated after you leave.

I’ve forgotten my username/password! What do I do?

  • Your Accommodation Portal username is your registered UCAS email address.
  • If you have forgotten your password, select the 'forgot password' button on the Portal to be sent a reset link.

My password has not arrived in my inbox

Don't worry. There can be a number of reasons for this:
  • High levels of traffic may delay the release of your email – particularly when the Accommodation Portal first opens and everyone is trying to apply for rooms all at once! Please wait another 30 minutes. 
  • Have you checked your junk folder? Sometimes the password email can get caught in there.
  • Check the email address you've used – make sure there are no spaces at the start or end of it. Please do not copy and paste your email address.
  • If you're still having problems after 24 hours, email the team at and we'll look into it for you.

I’m getting an error message when I log into the Portal

You need to have made Plymouth your firm choice before you can apply for accommodation. Our systems can take up to 72 hours to update with this information. If after this time you are still unable to log on, send us an email ( and we'll get it resolved.

I have additional requirements I need to tell you about

If you have any specific requirements (for example, if you are tall and therefore require a longer bed) please add this information on the 'any other information' section on the Halls Application Form. We cannot guarantee to meet all requirements, but please make sure you let us know so we can do our best to help.

Questions about living in halls

How do I make a rent payment?

When any payment is due, you'll automatically receive an email asking you to log in to the Accommodation Portal and pay using a credit or debit card. All your fees for the year will be displayed on your account with the date they are due.

When are my payments due throughout the year?

The two weeks' advance rent payment is due when you sign your licence agreement in June. The remaining rent is split into three instalments, due in October, January and April. These dates tie in with payments from the student finance company and are detailed in your license agreement.

I have forgotten my password, what do I do?

Please login to the Accommodation Portal using the email address you provided to UCAS. You'll be able to request a new password. Alternatively, send the Accommodation Team an email ( and we can help you.

Where can I find my contract length and weekly rent?

Please check your student licence agreement. It will have been sent to the email address you use to log into the Accommodation Portal.

Can I bring a bike/watersport equipment?

Yes! You are welcome to bring these items with you. We have a limited number of bicycles and watersports storage facilities that residents are welcome to use, and they are provided free of charge. You will need to arrange access to these storage facilities with your Hall Reception upon arrival. 
Please note: Bicycles and watersports equipment are not permitted in bedrooms or any communal areas for health and safety reasons. Bicycles must be stored in a bicycle storage room within designated buildings or the outdoor bicycle racks. If you have a bicycle, it is essential to insure it and lock it. Bicycles stored in other areas (for example, on railings) will be removed by the facilities management team. Personal diving equipment, including high-pressure diving cylinders (full or empty) cannot be stored in or around our Halls of Residence. The University of Plymouth will not cover loss or damage to items in a halls storage area.

Can I bring my car with me?

We do not provide parking spaces for students who are living in our Halls of Residence and parking is very limited in the centre of Plymouth. However, there are various spaces around campus for blue badge holders. If you are a blue badge holder, please contact the Accommodation Team at to let us know and we ensure suitable arrangements are made to support you.
All of our Halls of Residence are very close to both the University and the city centre. Public transport links are good (for example, there are very frequent bus services to Derriford Hospital that pass right outside the University campus) and the train station is just a short walk from the campus. 
Please note: If you park on campus or any of our halls without a valid permit then you are liable to be fined, which we're sure you will want to avoid! Please make sure that you park only where you are permitted to do so.

Can I stay in halls during my second and third year?

Working alongside Disability Services, we offer a limited amount of rooms for returning students on a case-by-case basis. You are not guaranteed a room in halls during your second and third year. Please view our Returner Student policy on our website.
Most students move into accommodation in the private sector during their second and third years. You can find out more about what type of accommodation is available in the private sector on our website. UPSU Advice Centre also offer a free tenancy agreement checking service, so you can feel more confident before you sign any agreements.

General information about our Halls of Residence

All University-managed accommodation is non-smoking. You need to be at least five meters from any University building. 
When vacating your room at the end of your contract, please ensure you change your postal address.
Can I register with a doctor?
You can register with a GP at the University Medical Centre on campus who work with two surgeries Beaumont Villa Surgery and Peverell Park Surgery. You may also call +44 1752 222341 or visit the University Medical Centre website for further information.
All residents have access to the University network at no extra charge – your WiFi bills are included in the cost of your rent. Please note that if you are gaming online, you cannot host your own server. For more information about how to connect to the University network, please read this guide or contact
Insurance cover is provided in Gilwell, Robbins, Radnor, Pilgrim, Francis Drake and Mary Newman Hall by Endsleigh Insurance. You can view your insurance cover details in our Resident Resources section.
UPP and the University of Plymouth
Our halls are provided in partnership with UPP, the UK’s leading provider of on-campus residential and academic accommodation infrastructure. They provide and maintain the buildings while the University provides a range of support for you, including social events to create great communities, welfare support and 24/7 security to help to keep you safe. Our halls are located on campus, or within the nearby Student Village – only a few minutes’ walk from both University facilities and city-centre amenities. 
As a resident in our halls you will sign a licence agreement directly with the University. Our friendly team provide information and advice prior to booking, and ongoing support during your time in our halls, with on site assistance from our Halls Team every day. As part of the University, the team has a relationship with other student services and departments ensuring your needs can be met seamlessly. We also organise a ‘Residence Life’ programme of exclusive visits, activities and competitions, as well as offering dedicated Facebook groups and other social media for residents so that you can start to meet hallmates before arrival, and stay up to date with our social events.

Do I need to pay for a TV Licence?

You will need a TV Licence if you want to watch, stream or record live TV as it's being broadcast, or if you're using BBC iPlayer, on any device (such as phones, tablets and games consoles). If you only ever use other online on-demand services (such as Amazon Prime, Netflix and Disney+), you don't need one.
You will need to buy a TV Licence if:
  • You're watching or recording programmes as they're being shown live on TV, on any channel. 
  • You're watching, recording or downloading any programmes on BBC iPlayer. This applies to all channels (including +1 channels) on any mainstream TV platform, including Freeview, Sky or Virgin.
  • You're watching, streaming or recording any live TV on any platform (including online TV services, YouTube or Amazon Prime). For example, if you're watching a live football match being streamed via ITV Hub at the same time as it's being broadcast on ITV, you would need a TV Licence for this.
  • If you watch 'live TV' from a channel that isn't broadcast in the UK (including those picked up via satellite or online), you will still need to be covered by a valid TV Licence. This is regardless of the country of origin or the language of the broadcast.
Please note: If you are found to be watching live TV or BBC iPlayer without a licence, you can be fined up to £1,000. You will need to organise your own TV Licence for your room in halls if you want to watch live TV or BBC iPlayer.
You can find out more information about buying a TV Licence and what it covers on the TV Licensing website.
Will my parents' TV Licence cover me?
Your parents’ licence will not cover you while you’re away at uni, unless you only use a device that’s powered solely by its own internal batteries and not connected to the mains.
What if I’m not at uni for the summer?
If you’re leaving your halls or rented accommodation and moving back home for the summer, there’s a good chance you won’t need your TV Licence if there’s one at home. You can see their policy and apply for a refund online.

Halls of Residence addresses:

  • Francis Drake Hall of Residence, James Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 6AP
  • Gilwell Hall of Residence, Tavistock Place, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8AP
  • Mary Newman Hall of Residence, Portland Square, Plymouth, Devon PL4 6DH
  • Pilgrim Hall of Residence, Gibbon Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8BT
  • Radnor Hall of Residence, 10 Gilwell Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8BX
  • Robbins Hall of Residence, Gibbon Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8BZ
  • Astor House Student Accommodation, 163 Notte Street, Plymouth, Devon, PL1 2AQ
  • Discovery Heights Student Accommodation, 27-31 Cobourg Street, Plymouth, Devon PL1 1UH,
  • Frobisher House Student Accommodation, 64-66 Ebrington Street, Plymouth, PL4 9AQ
Please note: when vacating your room at the end of your contract, please ensure you change your postal address.
A map showing the location of the University-managed Halls of Residence, updated September 2022
Halls of Residence map
Mary Newman Building