An interactive session, focusing on an asthma case scenario. This gives students an insight into Problem-Based Learning (PBL) and issues surrounding airways. This session is most suited for Year 9 and 10 and gets students thinking about what it takes to be a healthcare professional.
Structure of the workshop
- Presentation – Brief overview of applying to and attending university.
- Asthma scenario – The asthma case scenario will be presented to students and task booklets distributed. In groups of 2 or 3, students will work through the task and undertake the following activities.
- Activity 1 – Stethoscopes will be demonstrated and given to pupils to listen to each others chests and heart.
- Activity 2 – Peak flow meters will be demonstrated and each student will be given a mouth piece to try the peak flow meter.
- Questions, feedback and further details about the Peninsula Pathways programme.
- Healthcare occupation quiz – if time allows students can participate in a quiz to match job titles to descriptions.