Information for employers
At the University of Plymouth we understand some of the challenges employers have in developing and retaining highly skilled employees and we are excited to be offering the Registered Nurse (adult and mental health) Degree Apprenticeship which has been designed to offer a flexible degree level work based learning programme which meets the standards set by the NMC and which It aligns with Health Care Employers strategic objectives and goals around workforce planning.
Typically, the programme is offered over three years, however experienced health care practitioners with relevant experience and qualifications (650 hours clinical experience, mathematics and English minimal level 2 functional skills and relevant FdSc programme leading to Assistant Practitioner/Nursing Associate status or equivalent with an overall grade of 60 per cent or higher) can complete the programme within 18 months to two years.
This programme meets the standards set by the NMC and our current curriculum is validated as a full time programme. Apprentices will therefore be supernumerary for their duration of study both in practice and theory.
Degree apprenticeships in practice
Your apprentice will have ongoing support of an academic tutor for the duration of the programme as well as receiving guidance and support from their mentors during clinical placement.
Your organisation will be supported by a named nurse academic and our apprenticeship manager who is responsible for the contractual and tripartite arrangements with the employing organisation.
They will be able to guide you through the contractual process and will arrange to meet with the apprentice and a representative from your organisation on a 12 weekly basis. As per NMC requirements the apprentice will be supernumerary for the duration of the programme and will be required to have clinical placements in a variety of settings.
Fees and funding
There are two funding models:
Levy paying employer
If the annual pay bill of your organisation exceeds £3 million you will pay for your apprenticeship training through your levy account and is fully funded by you as the employer. Once you have exceeded the spend on your Levy account you will then move to the co-funded model where you will pay 10 per cent of the cost and the government will co-fund this by 90 per cent.
Non Levy paying employer
If you are a non-levy paying organisation the government will financial co-fund your apprenticeship training by contributing 90 per cent of the costs and you will support this with the remaining 10 per cent.
Additional financial incentives:
Employers with fewer than 50 employees will have 100 per cent of the training and assessment costs covered when training a 16-18 year old (or 19-24 year old formerly in care or has Local Authority Education, health and Care plan. Government will pay £1,000 to employers, and a further £1,000 to training providers if they train a 19-24 year old leaving care or who have a Local Authority Education and Healthcare plan. By studying a Degree Apprenticeship, students will obtain a full honours degree, at no cost to the individual. Fees are paid by the employer and supported by government funding (up to 90 per cent of the cost).
Total course cost £27,000 for 3 year route and £18,000 for shortened programme.
Example of costs for funding model:
If the annual pay bill of your organisation exceeds £3 million you will pay for your apprenticeship training through your levy account. If you have exceeded your levy contribution you will fund apprenticeship training through the co-funded model – to better understand how this will work please make contact with us.
Employer contribution £27,000.
Apprentices contribution £0.
If you are a non-levy paying organisation (the annual pay bill of your organisation is less than £3 million) or you are a Levy organisation who has exceeded their pot, the government will financially co-support your apprenticeship training – they will contribute 90 per cent of the costs and the employer will contribute 10 per cent.
Government contribution £24,300.
Employer contribution £2,700.
Apprentice contribution £0.
How to apply
As the apprentice remains employed for the duration of the apprenticeship the employing organisation will manage the electronic application form and is responsible for supporting/guiding the applicant in the application process.
When the application form is completed by the apprentice this is returned to the employer who is then responsible for sending the application to: email@example.com. Applicants approved by their employers will then be invited for interview.
Applications are open from February 2018 – 31 May 2018. Late applications will be considered.
If you require any further information please complete the enquiry form below or contact Caroline Jamison – Registered Nurse Degree Apprentice Lead firstname.lastname@example.org.