Who will your personal data be shared with?
Within the University, your data is shared with only those University staff who need access for the processing purposes set out above.
We may also need to share your data with:
- Relevant Government Departments (for example, the Home Office or the Foreign and Commonwealth Office);
- Relevant executive agencies or non-departmental public bodies (for example, UK Visas and Immigration);
- Plymouth University International College who we are in partnership with to ensure applicants are offered the relevant level of programme.
- National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) for verification purposes
- An overseas representative formally recognised by the University through whom you have submitted your application or who is supporting your application. This may include an agent or prospective sponsor who has submitted an application on your behalf;
- Relevant Higher Education bodies (for example, the Office for Students, UK Research and Innovation, Universities and Colleges Admissions Service, the Office for Fair Access);
- Any relevant professional or statutory regulatory bodies (for example, General Medical Council); we will tell you in what circumstances we share information with these organisations;
- Occasionally and when necessary, the police and other law enforcement agencies, for the prevention or detection of crime;
- Occasionally and when necessary internal and external auditors or regulators.
Your personal data is shared as is necessary, on a considered and confidential basis, with several external organisations which assist the University with handling student applications and with sending you information about studying here. These organisations act on our behalf in accordance with our instructions and do not process your data for any purpose over and above what we have asked them to do. These include:
We always have appropriate contracts in place before sharing your data with any other data controllers or contractors.
- Mailing houses
- External research agencies
- External media agencies to send you targeted messaging via social media. If you do not wish to receive these, you can amend your settings or preferences on the relevant social media platform.
We may also share your personal information with third parties (including your school/college, partner(s) with whom we may have collaborated to organise and/or evaluate events, the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS), the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), the Department for Education, the Higher Education Access Tracker (HEAT), any third parties managing HEAT’s database, and HEAT service subscribers and approved researchers) for the same purposes as listed above, and also for storage. Please note that only certain events/initiatives involve sharing your personal information with HEAT and related parties.
Sometimes your personal data is processed by these organisations outside the European Economic Area (e.g. because they use a cloud-based system with servers based outside the EEA), and if so, appropriate safeguards are in place to ensure the confidentiality and security of your personal data.
We do not share your data with external organisations for marketing their products or services. We do not sell your personal data to third parties under any circumstances, or permit third parties to sell on the data we have shared with them.