Dr Sanjay Sharma
Associate Professor (Reader) in Intelligent Autonomous Control Systems
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
• Head of Autonomous Marine Systems (AMS) research group formerly known as Marine and Industrial Dynamic Analysis (MIDAS) Research Group, SMSE, Plymouth University, 2010 – to date
• BEng Mechanical Year II tutor, 2009 – to date
• Programme Manager for the MSc Course in Mechanical Engineering at Plymouth University, 2004-2010
• Member of SoE Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Plymouth University, 2015 - to date
• Member of International Recruitment Committee, Plymouth University, 2006 – to date
• Member of Faculty of Science and Engineering Culture, Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Plymouth University, 2013 – to date
• Hindu faith advisor to University’s Multi-Faith Chaplaincy, 2010 - to date
• Elected member of Equality and Diversity Committee, Plymouth University, 2006-2009
• Successfully completed Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education Teaching (PGCHET) course, Queen’s University Belfast, 2004.
• PhD degree in Systems and Control Engineering, University of Sheffield, 2000 (Thesis title: Soft Computing for Modelling and Control of Dynamical Systems with Application to Flexible Manipulators).
• Master of Technology degree with distinction in Control Systems (Electrical Engineering) , Institute of Technology- BHU (IT-BHU), India, 1992, ranked 1st.
• Bachelor of Technology (Hons.) degree with distinction in Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), India, 1990, ranked 4th.
Roles on external bodies
• Member of the IMechE (Institution of Mechanical Engineers) Mechatronics, Informatics & Control Group Board (2009- to date)
• IMechE representative to UKACC (United Kingdom Automatic Control Council) (2011- to date)
• Member of IFAC TC 7.5 on Intelligent Autonomous Vehicles (2011- to date) - International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC) being the premier organisation serving the control engineering community globally.
Include subjects in the areas of Mechanical, Robotics, Electrical and Civil engineering. Modules taught in previous years:
• Instrumentation and Control – Measurement principles, sensors and classical control techniques
• Robotics and Control – Neural network training on practical data to model the robotic system and then design a fuzzy logic controller using Matlab/Simulink software packages
• Design and CAD – Solidworks for design and analysis of mechanical components
• Advanced Information Technology – wavelet techniques for data mining and error analysis on GPS data using wavelet toolbox in Matlab
• Marine System Engineering – Torsional and vibrational analysis of marine systems
• Electrical Principles – Basic electrical circuit theorems for DC and AC circuits
• Simulation of dynamic systems – Simulation study of the acceleration of a real car system using Matlab/Simulink
• Wave energy Converters and Power Take off - Optimum condition for power transfer and electrical analogy of the mechanical system, impedance matching conditions for maximum power transfer
• Intelligent systems control – Theory of neural networks and backpropagation training algorithm and application for modelling and control
Staff serving as external examiners
- External Examiner for MSc in Control Systems, Coventry University, Oct 2015 - Sep 2019.
- External Examiner for CV Marine/ Electronics South Tyneside Programmes in the Faculty of Engineering and Environment at Northumbria University, Oct 2014 - Jan 2019.
- External Examiner for system engineering courses from foundation to master level at University of Wales, Newport, May 2012 – Nov 2017.
- External Examiner for FdEng Marine systems engineering at University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth, April 2014 – Sep 2017.
Current research activities include use of AI techniques such as genetic algorithms, fuzzy logic and neural networks for modelling and the design of novel control systems for industrial and marine plant particularly for wave energy devices, robotics, automobiles and uninhabited marine vehicles for both surface and underwater operations.
1. External Examiner for PhD at University of South Wales, October 2017 (Xiao Guo – Modelling and validation of retrofit HGV hybrid system)
2. External Examiner for PhD at Southampton University, May 2017 (Kantapon Tanakitkorn – Guidance, Control and Path Planning for Autonomous Underwater Vehicles)
3. External Examiner for PhD at Coventry University, May 2016 (Abdulazeez Dauda El-ladan – Energy Management in Hybrid Electric Vehicle)
4. External Examiner for PhD at Sheffield University, Feb 2016 (Omar Khalil Sayidmarie – Design and Real-time control of a new structure two-wheeled robot)
5. Internal Examiner for PhD at Plymouth University, July 2014 (Kate Freeman – Numerical modelling and control of an oscillating water column wave energy converter)
6. External Examiner for PhD at Newcastle University, Nov 2009 (Jones Emrys – Adaptive roll stabilisation of fishing vessels)
7. Internal Examiner for PhD at Plymouth University, Feb 2006 (Chiew Seon Tan - An intelligent collision avoidance system for autonomous underwater vehicles)
1. Mohammed, Rabiu, All electric subsea production control system: qualification analysis of all electric control systems & electric surface control subsurface safety valve (ESCSSV), PhD self-funded (Jan 2017- till date), Second Supervisor.
2. Singh, Y, Cooperative Swarm Optimisation of unmanned marine vehicles, PhD funded by Commonwealth scholarship (Nov 2015 – till date), Director of Studies.
3. Polvara, R, An intelligent integrated marine observation system, PhD funded by faculty’s research scholarship (Nov 2015 - till date), Director of Studies.
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
2. Terzakis G, Intelligent Integrated autopilot design using visual SLAM, PhD, 2011 – 2016, Third Supervisor (Completed), (Funded by an EPSRC grant), Postdoc at Portsmouth University.
3. Zaynab Abdullah – Mphil Mechanical Engineering, Oct 2014 – Sep 2015, Second Supervisor.
4. Abed W, Robust and intelligent fault diagnosis techniques for DC motors, PhD, 2012 – 2015, Director of Studies (Completed), (Funded by Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, Iraq).
5. Motwani A, Interval Kalman filtering techniques for uninhabited surface vehicle navigation, PhD, 2011 – 2014, Director of Studies (Completed), Employed at SAAB SEAEYE LIMITED, Fareham, UK.
6. Kayode O, Nonlinear model predictive control strategies for process plant using soft computing approaches, PhD, 2010 – 2014, Director of Studies (Completed), Postdoc position at Loughborough University.
7. Stewart F, Tribological Characterisation and Modelling of Premium Tubular Connections, PhD, 2010 – 2014 (Completed), Second Supervisor, Project Engineer DNV Aberdeen, United Kingdom.
8. Roper D, Design and Optimisation of a Biomimetic Marine Propulsion System, PhD, 2010 – 2013, Director of Studies (Completed), Employed by NOC, Southampton.
9. XU Tao, An Intelligent Navigation System for an Unmanned Surface Vehicle, PhD 2004-2007, Second Supervisor (Completed), Lecturer at Tianjin University China.
Grants & contracts
• Co-investigator – Modifying an Existing Electric-Car with Wireless Connectivity for Safe and Autonomous Driving (School of Engineering Small Research Grant) at Plymouth University, £2.5K (2017-2018)
• Co-investigator – The effect of biomaterial surface microtopography on bacterial adhesion and biofilm formation (School of Engineering Small Research Grant) at Plymouth University, £2.5K (2017-2018)
• Co-investigator – Development, establishment and operation of a UAE oceanographic centre (UAE-Ocean Project) at Plymouth University, c£4m (2014-2020)
• Principal Investigator - The Royal Academy of Engineering (RAE) Newton Research Collaboration award with NIT, Rourkela, India, £11.9K (2015-2016 - 18 months)
• Principal Investigator - The China Scholarship Council (CSC) Postdoctoral Research award for Zhuang Yufei from Harbin Institute of technology to work in AMS research group at PU, £15K (2015-2016- 15 months)
• Principal Investigator - The China Scholarship Council (CSC) Postdoctoral Research award for Huang Haibin from Harbin Institute of technology to work in AMS research group at PU, £18K (2014-2016- 18 months)
• Principal Investigator - The Royal Society Grant for international exchanges in conjunction with NSFC (China), (Cooperative Path Planning and Control of Multiple UUVs for Ocean Observation), £12K (2013-2015)
• Principal Investigator - TSB grant for Offshore Wave Energy Limited Marine Demonstrator (Optimal control strategy for IT Power’ OWEL WEC) £2.5M (£47K to Plymouth University, 2010-2013)
• Principal Investigator - ESF-CUC PhD studentship for design of an intelligent and fast-acquisition remote sensing system for locating and measuring burial depth of subsea cables, £60K (2011-2014)
• Co-investigator - EPSRC Grant EP/I012923/1 for an intelligent integrated navigation and autopilot system for uninhabited surface vehicles, £354K (2011-2014)
• Principal Investigator - Graduate research scholarship funding for design and optimisation of a biomimetic marine propulsion system, £60K, (2010-2013)
• Principal Investigator – PhD funding for fault diagnosis of electrical motors in aircraft using intelligent systems techniques, £65K, (2012-2015)
• Principal Investigator – PhD funding for an adaptive control system for oil refinery applications, £60K, (2010-2013)
• Co-Investigator - KTP - Sharma SK and Summerscales J, To design and manufacture a state of the art resin processing control and delivery system to manufacture composite materials predominantly for the aerospace industry, KTP grant with Composite Integration Ltd., £111,672, (2007-2009)
• Recipient of the Vice Chancellor’s Research and Innovation Fellowship Award, 2007, Plymouth University, £4000.
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Reports & invited lectures
• Invited Speaker to the National Oceanography Centre (NOC) talk on Marine Technologies, on 13th April 2018, NOC, Southampton.
• Invited Speaker to the Society for Underwater Technology (SUT) talk on South West - The Rise of the (Integrated) Machines, on 12th April 2018, Met office, Exeter.
• Invited Speaker to the EPSRC Robotics, Automation, and Artificial Intelligence (RAAI) Theme Day on the 31st January 2017, London.
• Invited speaker on “Control System Applications in Wave Energy Conversion” in Renewable Energy Group, College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences, University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus, Penryn, Cornwall, 8th May 2013.
• Invited speaker of the Aerospace, Aviation and Defence Knowledge Transfer Network (AAD KTN) one-day workshop designed to bring together programme leaders from the EPSRC-supported programmes on autonomous systems, vehicles and robotics, 31st May 2011, America Square Conference Centre, London.
• Media coverage in the Herald, Cornish and Devon post, Journal Gazette and Western Morning News for research on visual simultaneous localisation and mapping techniques for uninhabited marine vehicle. News articles in the Maritime Journal, a respected source of business information is dedicated to the European Commercial Marine Business – inshore, offshore, coastal zone and short sea. Regular short articles in Marine Institute, Plymouth Newsletter.
National Research Council (NRC) Fellowships, USA, 2001
Received the NRC fellowship award from Air Force Research Laboratory (Eglin, Florida) for suggested project on Dynamic path planning in a co-operative munitions and Evolutionary approach to optimum combination of formation satellites.
IEEE Student Travel award, 2000
Received IEEE Travel award to attend the IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, Texas, USA.
Overseas Research Scholarships (ORS) awards, UK, 1997
Awarded ORS from Committee of Vice-chancellors and Principals of the Universities of the United Kingdom for studying PhD course at University of Sheffield.
State Merit Scholarships, 1984
Presented with a State Merit Scholarships award for coming within 20 best students in Secondary School Examination, India. This award covers the cost of university education after secondary school.
• IT Power, Bristol (TSB)
• Subsea Cable Tracking Ltd, Truro, Cornwall (ESF-CUC)
• Composite Integration Ltd, Saltash, Cornwall (KTP)