Dr Jasper Graham-Jones
Associate Professor in Mechanical and Marine Engineering
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
- Materials failure
- Failure analysis
- Marine technology
- Manufacturing engineering
- Boat and yacht surveying
- Welding, adhesive and joining technologies
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire.
Associate Professor in Mechanical & Marine Engineering
Partner College Academic Lead to 10 Colleges.
Past Admissions Tutor For Mechanical Engineering & Marine Technology degrees
1999-2000 Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning Higher Education, University of Portsmouth.
1993-97 PhD in ENGINEERING MATERIALS FAILURE ANALYSIS, Southampton University. "The Development of a Generic Failure Analysis Expert System". to predict the most probable failure mode and to suggest through an e-learning multimedia interface, methods for failure management prevention. Nine publications resulted from this work. Current developments are to use the Internet for a multiple platform approach to e-learning, and to develop a framework for failure analysis knowledge for future systems.
1993-94 City & Guilds 7307 Teacher Training Certificate, Eastleigh College
1992-93 MSc in Welding and Adhesive Bonding of Engineering Materials, Brunel University, London. Projects:- SCORTEC Welding of Short Uni-directional Kevlar fibre Polyurethane Elastomer Composites, and The design of a Land-yacht.
1989-92 BEng (Hons) in Manufacturing Systems Engineering (2:1) Nottingham (Trent) Polytechnic. Project:- Corrosion Susceptibility of Laser Cut Stainless Steel.
1987-89 HND in Mechanical Engineering, Oxford Polytechnic
1984-87 OND in Computer Aided Engineering, EITB, and City & Guilds Certificate of Engineering Technician Training, Chichester College of Further Education
Member of Institute of Materials Minerals & Mining www.IOM3.org
Roles on external bodies
Elected Looe Harbour Commissioner. 2013-current.
Involved in (1) Promotion and diversification of fishing industry to include other harbour business.
(2) Sympatric developments of the harbour and restorations of its listed buildings and walls.
RNLI Coastal Safety Volunteer for South East Cornwall 2011- 2020.
Responsible for leading and helping to coordinate Coastal and Sea Safety Advisers and events from Plymouth to Fowey.
Research Funding Bodies
- European Commission Seventh Framework Programme (FP7), 2007-2010. - reviewer.
- European Commission Sixth Framework Programme (FP6), Research for the benefit of SMEs 2004-2006. - reviewer.
Educational Associate Advisor for the British Council
Past Advisor to British Council Development Service in Science, Engineering and Technology (2005-2012). I advised the British Council and BC scholarship awardees on the most appropriate education course/programme of study to take which will benefit the student and their home country and comply with government guidelines on overseas development. Editor for the British Council’s careers & HE Course leaflets on Engineering, and Computing (2009 -2010). Funding bids review for PMI & Chevening Science & Innovation: Policy & Practice(SIPP) Courses 2009-2010. Inspire 2009-2010
Staff serving as external examiners
Sheffield Hallam University. External Examiner for the Forensic Engineering & Material Science since Nov 2009-2014. And with Tunku Abdul Rahman University College TARC in Malaysia 2013 - 2016 for Materials Engineering which is a Partner College.
- Yacht Engineering Degree Programs 2014.
University of East Anglia and the University of Essex
- B.Eng Operational Engineering 31 Jan 2011
University of Portsmouth
BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science, Applied Biomedical Science 7 and 8 May 2008;
BSc Web Technology, Jan 2009;
BSc(Hons) Computing and the Digital Image, May 2008,
BA (Hons) International Development Studies March 2009;
B.Sc Applied Physics Feb 2010.
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
- Richard Pitwon , PhD, 2017: Pluggable optical connector interfaces for electro-optical circuit boards 2011-2017
- Tariq Almuharib 2011-2014 Service Quality Improvement Through Lean Management at King Khalid International Airport in Saudi Arabia
- Mohammed Al-Bahrani The Manufacture and Testing of Self-sensing CNTs Nanocomposites for Damage Detecting Applications. 2015-2019
- Aitor Hernandez Michelena Optimisation of Fibre-matrix interface in natural fibre reinforced composites. 2013-2019 , PhD, 2019:
Natural fibre reinforced composite materials
- Daniel Okanigbe, 2011-2014, Fatigue in Friction stir Welding
- Jorge Bergasa and Alexandre Lassauniere an investigator for the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) with Counterpoint MTC Ltd 2007-2011
Grants & contracts
- Innovative fishing Gear for Ocean INdIGO , Plymouth Univ Lead. 26/09/2019 - 30/06/2023 (45 months), https://twitter.com/INdIGO_interregInterreg Channel project, led by Université de Bretagne Sud, France.
- Development and demonstrators of durable biobased composites for a marine environment
Lead by Prof John Summerscales, Interreg 2 Seas Mers Zeeën project, led by CenTexBel (BE), March 2019-August 2022.
- Closing the skills gap and supporting the Industrial Strategy through [composites] curriculum development
HEFCE Catalyst Fund, led by University of Bristol, January 2018-May 2019.
- To develop a commercially viable manufacturing process to improve the chemical properties of fine rubber powder derived from reprocessed vehicle tyres Knowledge Transfer Partnership with Crumb Rubber Limited (with Prof John Summerscales, Frank Abraham, Mike Foulkes and Jasper Graham-Jones), 2013-2015.
- Small Grants 2015:- Reducing scour impacts: The design and development of an eco-friendly fixed mooring With Dr Stacey DeAmicis (£2500).
- Sense of space and situational awareness in a virtual bridge environment - developing a set of internationally interoperable training parameters for the safe remote operation of unmanned marine vehicles with Chris Pollard (£2500).
- Crumb Rubber Ltd. KTP on Product Development of Polymer and recycled crumb rubber composites 2013-2015
• Marine Composite Short Course (2009-10) for local industry involving two universities (Solent, Portsmouth) and two colleges (Highbury, Southampton City) with (£19,500) funding from the Hampshire & IOW Lifelong learning network.
• South Boats Ltd I am lead academic with South Boats Ltd, and Purple Door (Univ of Portsmouth) where we won a proof of concept award for £50,000 to develop a new hull design via Rapid-Prototyping (RP) models. £10,000 is due to the University for the development of RP models (2008-2010).
• Alitex Ltd £49,000 Knowledge Transfer Partnership (2002-05) with Alitex Ltd (Greenhouse Manufacturer) & Univ of Portsmouth. I was the academic leader and M.Phil supervisor for Daniel Farnandez. Through guidance from myself and Prof. Nick Bennett, implementation of lean manufacturing practices reduced lead times by 40%, making it possible for the company to win an international competitive bid for a £¾ million contract. Other savings include a reduction in chemicals of £2500 per annum, 94% reduction on water and 75% reduction in handling. The partnership has resulted in two undergraduate and two post-graduate company based and sponsored projects. Additionally our work at Alitex Ltd came second behind The Rover Group for the MX2004 Manufacturing Excellence Award for the UK’s best and most effective educational and company partnership.
• Iracroft Ltd. (2006-8) This £49,000 Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) was involved in the development of lean manufacturing practices in the welding of steel tube for which I have been involved as technical welding expert and M.Phil supervisor for David Rudderford. This KTP undertaken with Professor Nick Bennett, Faculty of Technology and Professor Mike Kaye, Business School UoP, was rated as excellent by the Department of Trade and Industry.
• CompositeIQ. I was leading co-ordinator of the UK section for a 2.9 Million Euro EU Framework 5 contract for the development of a European Research Institute in Composites via a Virtual network project with an added value to UoP of £297,000. This has involved extensive travelling in the UK, Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Belgium, France, and Spain to visit the 28 other partners. The project was developed with the Isle of Wight Economic Partnership and UoP (Prof N. Bennett) which has resulted in UoP being promoted as a Centre of Excellence in Marine Composites and Rapid Prototyping throughout Europe. My work involved the development of the business plan and the specification, coordination & authorship of the virtual network with on-line resources. As lead partner for the UK, I have coordinated the Newbury Enterprise Hub, Oxford Innovations, and the Southampton Enterprise Hub. This has also involved the support of local companies in providing technical resources e.g. SP Systems, Warwick University Rapid Prototyping Centre, etc. (2002-2007)
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Royal National Lifeboat Institute Crew member since 1999 till 2011 at Hayling Island. Involved in 60+ resuces each year. Sep 2010 awarded “Framed Letter of Thanks” for saving two lives and yacht in Force 10 winds, and 24ft tall waves. RNLI Sea Safety and Coastal Safety Officer at Looe Lifeboat since 2011 till current.
H.M. Coastguard Looe, Cliff rescue officer since 2011
Sailing:- Member of Cargreen Yacht Club, Past member of Mengham Rythe Sailing Club, Curiser Committee member.
Currently restoring a 8m Telstar sailing trimaran. Previously a 18ft Hardy Navigator; 17ft Plymouth Pilot and others