Dr Jasper Graham-Jones
Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer) in Mechanical and Marine Engineering
School of Marine Science and Engineering (Faculty of Science & Environment)
Associate Professor in Mechanical & Marine Engineering
Admissions Tutor For Mechanical Engineering & Marine Technology degrees
1999-2000 Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning Higher Education, University of Portsmouth.
1993-97 PhD in ENGINEERING MATERIALS FAILURE ANALYSIS, Southampton University. "The Development of a Generic Failure Analysis Expert System". to predict the most probable failure mode and to suggest through an e-learning multimedia interface, methods for failure management prevention. Nine publications resulted from this work. Current developments are to use the Internet for a multiple platform approach to e-learning, and to develop a framework for failure analysis knowledge for future systems.
1993-94 City & Guilds 7307 Teacher Training Certificate, Eastleigh College
1992-93 MSc in Welding and Adhesive Bonding of Engineering Materials, Brunel University, London. Projects:- SCORTEC Welding of Short Uni-directional Kevlar fibre Polyurethane Elastomer Composites, and The design of a Land-yacht.
1989-92 BEng (Hons) in Manufacturing Systems Engineering (2:1) Nottingham (Trent) Polytechnic. Project:- Corrosion Susceptibility of Laser Cut Stainless Steel.
1987-89 HND in Mechanical Engineering, Oxford Polytechnic
1984-87 OND in Computer Aided Engineering, EITB, and City & Guilds Certificate of Engineering Technician Training, Chichester College of Further Education
Institute of Materials Minerials & Mining www.IOM3.org
Roles on external bodies
Elected Looe Harbour Commissioner. 2013-current.
Involved in (1) Promotion and diversification of fishing industry to include other harbour business.
(2) Sympatric developments of the harbour and restorations of its listed buildings and walls.
RNLI Coastal Safety Officer for South East Cornwall 2015- Current.
Responsible for leading and helping to coordinate Coastal and Sea Safety Advisers and events from Plymouth to Fowey.
Educational Associate Advisor for the British Council
Past Advisor to British Council Development Service in Science, Engineering and Technology (2005-2012). I advised the British Council and BC scholarship awardees on the most appropriate education course/programme of study to take which will benefit the student and their home country and comply with government guidelines on overseas development. Editor for the British Council’s careers & HE Course leaflets on Engineering, and Computing (2009 -2010). Funding bids review for PMI & Chevening Science & Innovation: Policy & Practice(SIPP) Courses 2009-2010. Inspire 2009-2010
MST122 Marine Craft Drawing and Design
MST328 Small Craft Surveying
MST329 Small Craft Structures and Systems
DSGN143 Integrated System Design
PRME305 Honours Project (BSc)
PRME304 Honours Project (BEng in ME, CME, MST)
Grants & contracts
- Small Grants 2015:- Reducing scour impacts: The design and development of an eco-friendly fixed mooring With Dr Stacey DeAmicis (£2500).
Sense of space and situational awareness in a virtual bridge environment - developing a set of internationally interoperable training parameters for the safe remote operation of unmanned marine vehicles with Chris Pollard (£2500).
- Crumb Rubber Ltd. KTP on Product Development of Polymer and recycled crumb rubber composites 2013-2015
• I developed a Marine Composite Short Course (2009-10) for local industry involving two universities (Solent, Portsmouth) and two colleges (Highbury, Southampton City) with (£19,500) funding from the Hampshire & IOW Lifelong learning network.
• South Boats Ltd I am lead academic with South Boats Ltd, and Purple Door (Univ of Portsmouth) where we won a proof of concept award for £50,000 to develop a new hull design via Rapid-Prototyping (RP) models. £10,000 is due to the University for the development of RP models (2008-2010).
• Alitex Ltd £49,000 Knowledge Transfer Partnership (2002-05) with Alitex Ltd (Greenhouse Manufacturer) & Univ of Portsmouth. I was the academic leader and M.Phil supervisor for Daniel Farnandez. Through guidance from myself and Prof. Nick Bennett, implementation of lean manufacturing practices reduced lead times by 40%, making it possible for the company to win an international competitive bid for a £¾ million contract. Other savings include a reduction in chemicals of £2500 per annum, 94% reduction on water and 75% reduction in handling. The partnership has resulted in two undergraduate and two post-graduate company based and sponsored projects. Additionally our work at Alitex Ltd came second behind The Rover Group for the MX2004 Manufacturing Excellence Award for the UK’s best and most effective educational and company partnership.
• Iracroft Ltd. (2006-8) This £49,000 Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) was involved in the development of lean manufacturing practices in the welding of steel tube for which I have been involved as technical welding expert and M.Phil supervisor for David Rudderford. This KTP undertaken with Professor Nick Bennett, Faculty of Technology and Professor Mike Kaye, Business School UoP, was rated as excellent by the Department of Trade and Industry.
• CompositeIQ. I was leading co-ordinator of the UK section for a 2.9 Million Euro EU Framework 5 contract for the development of a European Research Institute in Composites via a Virtual network project with an added value to UoP of £297,000. This has involved extensive travelling in the UK, Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Belgium, France, and Spain to visit the 28 other partners. The project was developed with the Isle of Wight Economic Partnership and UoP (Prof N. Bennett) which has resulted in UoP being promoted as a Centre of Excellence in Marine Composites and Rapid Prototyping throughout Europe. My work involved the development of the business plan and the specification, coordination & authorship of the virtual network with on-line resources. As lead partner for the UK, I have coordinated the Newbury Enterprise Hub, Oxford Innovations, and the Southampton Enterprise Hub. This has also involved the support of local companies in providing technical resources e.g. SP Systems, Warwick University Rapid Prototyping Centre, etc. (2002-2007)
PUBLISHED Journal PAPERS
Al Muhareb, T. ; Graham-Jones, J. (2014), 'Using Lean Six-Sigma in the Improvement of Service Quality at Aviation Industry: Case Study at the Departure Area in KKIA', World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Science Index 85, International Journal of Social, Human Science and Engineering, 8(1), 607 - 614Al
Pitwon, R., Graham-Jones, J. (2012). FirstLight: Pluggable Optical Interconnect Technologies for Polymeric Electro-Optical Printed Circuit Boards in Data Centers. Journal of Lightwave Technology, 30(21), 3316-3329.
Tareq Al Muhareb and Jasper Graham-Jones (2012) A Review of Lean Management Models at King Khaled International Airport (KKIA), Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology 4(13): 1833-1840, 2012, ISSN:2040-7467, © Maxwell Scientific Organization, 2012, Published: July 01, 2012
Tareq Al Muhareb and Jasper Graham-Jones (2011) Lean Implementation of Continues Improvement at Airports, World Applied Science Journal, 14(1): 16-22, ISSN1818-14952, © IDOSI Publications, 2011.
SANDERS DA, TEWKESBURY GE and GRAHAM JONES J, (2011) "Simple rules to modify pre-planned paths and improve gross robot motions associated with pick & place assembly tasks", Assembly Automation, Vol. 31 Iss: 1, pp.69 - 78
SANDERS DA, GRAHAM JONES J and GEGOV A (2010) Improving ability of tele-operators to complete progressively more difficult mobile robot paths using simple expert systems and ultrasonic sensors. Industrial Robot - Vol.37 Iss: 5, pp.431 - 440
SANDERS DA, LAMBERT G, GRAHAM-JONES J, TEWKESBURY GE, ONUH S and NDZI D (2010). A robotic welding system using image processing techniques and a CAD model to provide information to a multi-intelligent decision module. Assembly Automation Paper AA-09-021.R1. Accepted and in press.
SANDERS DA, STOTT IJ, GRAHAM JONES J, GEGOV A and TEWKESBURY GE (2010) - Expert system to interpret hand tremor and provide joystick position signals for powered wheelchairs with ultrasonic sensor systems Industrial Robot. Paper IR-09-395. Accepted and in press. ISSN:0143-991X.
Sanders D, Tewkesbury GE, and Graham-Jones J, (2009). "Trust in Virtual Military Teams" Journal of Computing in systems and engineering, 2009, (10), p195-189, PCR ISSN 1472-9083,
Graham-Jones, P.J. “How an English man became an European” EYE Contact, Journal of the European Young Engineers, pp4 -5, Issues 9, 25 June 2004
Graham-Jones, P.J. "Upgrading your Qualification, Engineering Technology, pp25-27, vol3, No.3, March 2000.
Graham-Jones, P.J. "A European prospective for Young Engineers", Materials World, pp76, vol8, No.3, March 2000.
Graham-Jones, P.J. "Professional Young Engineers Joint Venture", Materials World, pp441, vol.7, No.7, July 1999
Graham-Jones, J. "Younger members", Materials world, pp419, vol.5, No.7, July 1997
Graham-Jones, P.J., B.G. Mellor,"Expert and Knowledge-based Systems in Failure Analysis", Engineering Failure Analysis ,vol. 2, No. 1. (1995)
P.J. Graham-Jones,"Expert Systems & Knowledge-Based Systems in Failure Analysis & The Development of a Generic Failure Analysis Expert System" MPhil/Ph.D Transfer thesis, Engineering Materials, Southampton University, October 1995. Rpt. No. BM/EM/JG/95/01/72
A Hernandez Michelena, J Graham-Jones, J Summerscales and W Hall,
Resin Transfer Moulding (RTM) production of surfboard fins with natural fibres. Part II: experimental work and testing (abstract 209) 2nd International Conference on Natural Fibers – From Nature to Market (ICNF2015), São Miguel – Azores (Portugal), 27-29 April 2015, oral presentation. CD-ROM Session 13, ISBN 978-989-98468-4-5. Book of Abstracts pages 265-266, ISBN 978-989-98468-5-2.
A Hernandez Michelena, J Graham-Jones, J Summerscales and W Hall,
Eco-friendly epoxy resin/flax fibre composite system as a material for surf boards production (abstract 210)
2nd International Conference on Natural Fibers – From Nature to Market (ICNF2015), São Miguel – Azores (Portugal), 27-29 April 2015, oral presentation. CD-ROM Session 13, ISBN 978-989-98468-4-5. Book of Abstracts pages 267-268, ISBN 978-989-98468-5-2.
A Hernandez Michelena, J Graham-Jones, J Summerscales and W Hall
Eco-friendly epoxy resin/flax fibre composite system interface improvement with the chemical treatments of the flax surface and resin formulation 2nd International Conference on Natural Fibers – From Nature to Market (ICNF2015), São Miguel – Azores (Portugal), 27-29 April 2015, no presentation. Book of Abstracts pages 269-270, ISBN 978-989-98468-5-2.
Al Muhareb, T. ; Graham-Jones, J. (2014), Using Lean Six-Sigma in the Improvement of Service Quality at Aviation Industry: Case Study at the Departure Area in KKIA,International Conference on Environmental Management on January, (27-28, 2014 )at Istanbul, Turkey,
Al Muhareb, T. ; Graham-Jones, J. (2010), Lean Implementation as a source of ensuring continuous improvement at airports – International Conference on Education and Management Technology in Cairo, Egypt (02/11/2010 – 04/11/2010).Hernandez MichelenaA, Graham-Jones J, Summerscales J, and Hall W. "Resin transfer moulding(RTM) Fin Production with natural fibres, 1st International Conference onNatural Fibres, Guimaraes, 2013
Onuh, S. and Graham-Jones, P.J. “Balancing the equation: the students’ perceptions” The Learning and Teaching Conference 2004, Delivering Excellence, Univ of Hertfordshire, 29 June-1 July 2004
Oliver, T., Graham-Jones. P.J. “The Development of a Case-Study for Second year students registered on the Bachelor of Science (Honours) Marine Sports Technology Degree at the University of Portsmouth.” ” at 10thMachine Building and Technoshere Conference, Sevastropol, Ukraine, September 2003
Oliver, T., Graham-Jones, P.J., Bishop, J. “Marine sports technology in the department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Portsmouth” at 9th Machine Building Conference, Sevastropol, Ukraine, 9-15 September 2002
Onuh, S. and Graham-Jones, P.J. “The use of Question Mark Perception in assessment of Mechanical Engineering Students” And “WebCT Course Development and Initial Evaluation Strategy” The 3rd Learning and Teaching Conference Learning about learning, Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, 26 - 28 June 2002
Graham-Jones, P.J. "The Changing Face of Engineering Education" at 7th Machine Building Conference, Spastropol, Ukraine, 11-17 September 2000
Graham-Jones, P.J "Reclamation for complex geometry and exotic material components using Friction Stir Welding". At 7th Machine Building Conference, Spastropol, Ukraine, 11-17 September 2000
Graham-Jones, P.J. and Mellor, B.G.,"The opportunities for the internet to assist with failure analysis" Paper No. 97332, at Computers in Corrosion Control: Modelling and Information Processing (T-3U) Symposia, 9-14th March 1997, Corrosion 97, New Orleans , Louisiana, USA.
Graham-Jones, P.J. and Mellor, B.G.,"Issues Involved in Developing A Failure Analysis Expert System for Metallic Materials Using Rule and Case-Based Reasoning", Paper No. 97320, at Computers in Corrosion Control: Modelling and Information Processing (T-3U) Symposia, 9-14th March 1997, NACE Corrosion 97, New Orleans , Louisiana, USA.
Graham-Jones, P.J. and Mellor, B.G.,"A Framework for Computer Systems in Failure Analysis" 2nd Postgraduate Conference in Engineering Materials, Chilworth Manor, Southampton Univ., UK, 1996.
Graham-Jones, P.J. and B.G. Mellor, "The Development of a Generic Failure Analysis Expert System Based on Case-Based Reasoning" at Corrosion'96, Symposium 96-T-3U, March 24-29, 1996, Denver, Colorado, USA.
A. Thomas, P.J. Graham-Jones, B.G. Mellor, K. Tabeshfar,"An Expert System To Predict Failure Modes & Analyse Product Reliability", paper presented at 2nd International Symposium on Product Development in Engineering Education, 28th-31st Oct. 1994, University of Limerick, Ireland.
P.J. Graham-Jones, B.G. Mellor,"Failure Analysis Diagnostic Expert System as an Interactive Personal Design Consultant",Proc. 1st Postgraduate Conference in Engineering Materials, Southampton University, England 26th-27th Sept. 1994. ISBN 085432514X
P.J. Graham-Jones, B.G. Mellor;"Failure Analysis Diagnostic Expert System as an Interactive Computer Learning Tool", 1st National Conference on Product Design Education, Bournemouth University, Bournemouth, England 11-12 July 1994
PUBLISHED NOTES AND NEWS
Graham-Jones, P.J. "EYE grows wider at World Engineers' Convention, Materials World, pp49, vol.8, No.8, August 2000.
Graham-Jones, P.J. "Younger members-have your say", Materials World, pp55, vol.8, No.5, May 2000.
Royal National Lifeboat Institute Crew member since 1999 till 2011 at Hayling Island. Involved in 60+ resuces each year. Sep 2010 awarded “Framed Letter of Thanks” for saving two lives and yacht in Force 10 winds, and 24ft tall waves. RNLI Sea Safety and Coastal Safety Officer at Looe Lifeboat since 2011 till current.
H.M. Coastguard Looe, Cliff rescue officer since 2011
Sailing:- Member of Cargreen Yacht Club, Past member of Mengham Rythe Sailing Club, Curiser Committee member.
Currently restoring a 8m Telstar sailing trimaran. Previously a 18ft Hardy Navigator; 17ft Plymouth Pilot and others