A catalyst for low carbon economic growth in Devon
Supporting Devon-based organisations to engage with the University of Plymouth around the low-carbon agenda. Funded by the ERDF.
Welcome to the Sustainability Hub: Low Carbon Devon
The project provides an exciting catalyst for low-carbon economic growth in Devon.
Future Shift: Low Carbon Devon Internship and Leadership programme
Fully funded internships helping a Devon business with a low carbon project.
Watch recordings of our past business-focused events to inspire ambition and practical action.
Events at the Sustainability Hub
- Are you a Devon-based enterprise interested in reducing your carbon emissions or developing a new low-carbon product, process or service? We'd love to hear from you.
Complete the Low Carbon Devon – enterprises’ expression of interest
- Are you a University of Plymouth researcher or academic with an interest or expertise in the low-carbon agenda? Register your interest in the project's collaboration, funding and event opportunities.
Complete the Low Carbon Devon – research and innovation expression of interest
Research and innovation
- Green wall sector
- Power electronics (PV & LEDs)
- Creative Industry sector
- Energy Efficiency in Buildings (Occupant Behaviour)
Devon Net Zero Innovation Fund
Visit our Events page for all forthcoming events
Carbon Reduction Project
“With an expanding urban population, ‘green infrastructure’ provides an opportunity to tackle climate change, air pollution and biodiversity loss, whilst facilitating low carbon economic growth. Green walls can offer heating/cooling savings (CO2), improved air quality, noise reduction and elevated health and well-being. This project is a fantastic opportunity to kick start innovation by local enterprises to engender sustainable low carbon growth in Devon.”
Energy Efficiency in Buildings (Occupant Behaviour)
- Research to assist in the development of a practice, process, product or service within the low carbon agenda.
- Free events, symposia and workshops to learn about the circular economy or reducing carbon emissions.
- Opportunities to network and collaborate by featuring on our creative industries LCD map.
- Creative practice – could you engage others by telling the story of how your enterprise is engaging with the low carbon agenda?
Low Carbon Devon Creative Industries
Our Power Electronics Industrial Research Fellow Jonathan Bloor is supporting businesses across Devon to utilise electrical energy in a smarter way through physical or virtual adaptations to existing and new infrastructure.
“In a future where our reliance on green electricity will become dominant for all our energy needs, it’s important that efficiencies for power conversion, transmission and usage are optimised. Our current focus on solar micro-inverters, innovative circuit design and big data will enable Devon-based SMEs to make decisions on how to reduce carbon. Our hope is to bring together the local business community – on land and at sea – to implement power efficiency methodologies to help achieve net zero carbon by 2030.”
Professor Will Blake
Professor of Catchment Science
Director of the Sustainable Earth Institute
Dr Paul Lunt
Associate Professor in Environmental Science
Director and Academic Lead, Green Wall Co-Lead
Dr Paul Hardman
Manager of the Sustainable Earth Institute (SEI)
Project Manager (Sustainability Hub - Low Carbon Devon)
Mr Christopher Woodfield
Knowledge Exchange Officer - Sustainability Hub: Low Carbon Devon
Mrs Rebecca Barnes
Administrator - Sustainability Hub: Low Carbon Devon (Maternity Cover)
Dr Thomas Murphy
Industrial Research Fellow - Green Wall - Low Carbon Devon
Dr Emma Whittaker
Industrial Research Fellow - Creative Industries - Low Carbon Devon
Mr Jonathan Bloor
Industrial Research Fellow - Power Electronics - Low Carbon Devon
Marketing and Events Officer
Professor Steve Goodhew
Professor of Environmental Building and Discipline Leader
Green Wall Co-Lead
Dr Paul Warwick
Low Carbon Internship Lead
Ms Polly Macpherson
Associate Head of School - Enterprise
Creative Industries Lead
Dr Zaki Ahmed
Associate Professor in Information Technology
Power Electronics Lead
Dr Samantha Davies
Head of Sustainability
Low Carbon Estates Adviser
Dr David Sergeant
Associate Professor of Twentieth and Twenty-First Century Literature