Welcome to the Marine Biology and Ecology Research Centre
Members of the Marine Biology and Ecology Research Centre (MBERC) address a broad range of research questions, from the effects of environmental stress on microbes and developing embryos to the management of large scale impacts, such as global climate change.
Our research has a marine biological focus but also draws on ideas and theories from other realms.
We have excellent links with external organisations, both regionally, and via numerous international collaborations. We encourage the active participation of our students in our research. We conduct research across a wide range of subject areas within the realms of marine biology, conservation, ecophysiology and ecology; these include studies across terrestrial, freshwater and marine environments.
Our research is currently spread across four research groups:
MBERC Press Releases
- Scientists release previously unseen footage showing environmental impacts of pot fishing 13 October 2020
- Future ocean conditions could cause significant changes in marine mussels 9 October 2020
- Scientists repeat century-old study to reveal evolutionary rescue in the wild 1 October 2020
- Scientists appeal for public help with climate change technology project 23 July 2020
- University of Plymouth awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for world-leading microplastics research 20 February 2020