ATI Legacy of Innovation in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly
Support at a glance
- 1:1 Business Innovation Advice from specialists certified by the Institute of Innovation and Knowledge Exchange (IKE).
- Access to the University of Plymouth's world-class facilities, academic expertise and resources.
- Professional consultancy.
- Innovation workshops and surgeries, including: Intellectual Property (IP) Protection, Research & Development (R&D), Design Thinking, Bringing a Product to Market.
- Innovation Masterclasses delivered on behalf of IKE.
- Innovation Grants from £1,500 to £25,000 supporting innovation projects in: proof of market, proof of concept, prototyping, IP protection, next product or service generation.
- Knowledge sharing and engagement events, including the bi-monthly Cornwall Innovation Club (later rebranded as The Innovation Exchange) and the Innovation for Business conference.
- Pop-Up Innovation Centres, providing: hot desks, meeting room space, advice and networking opportunities.
It is difficult for small organisations to have access to professional help in the innovation field and we couldn't have completed our project without ATI. They are now helping us to spread our message and establish a new customer base.
The work undertaken by ATI2’s Innovation Research Champion was absolutely instrumental to the project. It helped me demonstrate the need for the app and then sell that need to stakeholders to generate necessary investment and buy-in.
If we hadn’t engaged with ATI2 I feel that we could be stuck in a 'norm' state. The business wouldn’t be as exciting and as innovative as it could be, and it ought to be, and that’s what drives us as a company.
Far Out Thinking Company
The Far Out Thinking Company is an environmental research and development company investigating insect and pollinator solutions. They are innovating with the aim to boost biodiversity in Cornwall and were supported with academic and prototyping support.
Cleaner Seas Group
Bude-based Cleaner Seas Group is a green-tech firm which designs and manufactures solutions to remove microplastics from our environment. Their debut product, the indikon-1, is a retro-fit microfibre filter for washing machines.
The Cornish Health-Tech business that has created a pre-operative assessment app to streamline processes and create time efficiencies within the healthcare sector, freeing up clinician time and improving the patient experience.
Experts in the fields of Tank Storage and Process Safety, Assentech are innovating to raise the standards and efficiency of tank breather valves, whilst reducing the amount of harmful gasses released into the environment.
Daften received support from both the ATI and ATI2 projects as part of their ongoing innovation plan to continue to increase productivity and efficiency throughout the business.
Triangular Pixels are an award-winning games studio based in Bude. They specialise in developing virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) games, and are creating innovative tools which offer solutions to developers.
ATI2 (2020–2023) key facts and figures
“The final statistics for the ATI2 programme reveal that we have exceeded all our project outputs, significantly in some areas, which is a fantastic result. We really did deliver on what we set out to do right at the beginning which is immensely satisfying.
“Realising an idea and doing something different takes great courage and we are proud to have helped so many through what can be a challenging process, especially over the last three years when numerous external factors have increased the risks for SMEs pursuing innovation. It’s during these times that businesses have really needed support, not just to survive but to thrive and secure their place in the future.” – Jo Hancock, ATI Programme Manager.
The financial support has been a lifeline to help with the purchasing of the canning machine, particularly in winter, a period which is always a tight couple of months for us and has been made even tighter with another lockdown.
To put it bluntly, we wouldn’t have been able to develop this project without the assistance from ATI2. It’s a new area for us, it’s outside our current core practice, in the sense of developing this new model, and with the financial support through ATI2 we’ve been able to actually undertake the development. The match funding that we have received has been great and it’s a project that wouldn’t have gone ahead without it.
ATI have been brilliant throughout the process, not just in terms of giving us the funding but also the support from an innovation perspective. They’ve been a bit of a sounding board as much as anything. They’ve also pointed us in the right direction to speak with legal people in and around Intellectual Property and patents.
ATI2 Summative Assessment Findings
- 94% of SMEs stated ATI2 had a positive or significant impact on innovation and growth within their business.
- 84% of SMEs stated the innovation project had helped future-proof their business and made it more resilient.
- 77% of respondents stated the programme made the business a better investment proposal.
- 75% stated that ATI2 support had improved the business’s long-term performance.
- 62% of SMEs stated the innovation support had improved business productivity.
- Businesses scored all elements of support in excess of 4 out of 5, highlighting the overall high quality and bespoke offer of delivery. Areas of particular note include support from the Innovation Advisors (4.5), support from a specialist or consultant (4.6) and support from an Innovation Champion (4.47).
- 83% of businesses said they are now more aware of the support offered by the University.
Pop-Up Innovation Centres
“The Pop-Ups are very useful, meeting there is a great excuse for networking. Especially for people like me, who usually work from home. It’s good to get out the house, to increase productivity and bounce ideas around with other innovators.” – Sam Baynham, Director of Conex Portal.
Here are some other projects with whom ATI have collaborated with as part of the wider support provided to businesses.
Helping businesses navigate their way around the University’s internationally renowned research expertise, facilities, and business services.
Why IP matters
Businesses were able to access specialist IP support at the University as part of the bespoke package of support with ATI.
Research and Innovation
The ATI project was part of the Research and Innovation directorate.