United States of America

If you're thinking about coming to study at the University of Plymouth from the USA, this page has all the information you need.

If you have any other questions, you can contact our team at international.office@plymouth.ac.uk, or by phoning +44 1752 588049.

<p>View of the campus</p>

International tuition fees for 2022/23

Undergraduate tuition fees for 2022/23: £14,600
Fees for postgraduate taught courses can be found in the 'fees, costs and funding' section of the relevant course webpage. Search for your course.

International scholarships

To reward outstanding achievement the University of Plymouth offers scholarship schemes to help towards funding your studies. You could get up to 50% off your tuition fees in your first year.
<p>Students on campus</p>
<p>Students walking through campus with drinks</p>

Entry requirements


Whilst these will vary according to the course, the University of Plymouth typically welcomes applicants to undergraduate courses with US high school diplomas with a combination of: AP at grade 3, 4 or 5 (usually three subjects relevant to the course), SAT circa 1250, ACT circa 26, SAT subjects (three relevant subjects circa 550).


To apply for our postgraduate courses (second degrees) from the USA, you'll need a good (3.0/4.0 min GPA) undergraduate degree in a relevant subject from a regionally-accredited American university.

English language requirements 

To be accepted onto a degree course with us you must have a suitable English language qualification. The tables below show the minimum English language requirements for standard courses at RQF 6 (degree level) and above.

Some courses have English language requirements that are higher than those shown below; please check the relevant course for details.

What if I don't meet the requirements?

If you don't think you will be able to meet these requirements, you may be able to join a pre-sessional English language course offered by our English Language Centre. Please note that to study a pre-sessional English language course UKVI require Student (formerly Tier 4) visa holders to take a Secure English Language Test (SELT) at a UKVI approved test centre (details of approved SELTs).

University of Plymouth requirement – USA high school graduation diploma

Undergraduate programmes Postgraduate programmes

UPIC requirement – USA high school graduation diploma

Undergraduate programmes Postgraduate programmes

Please note if you are not a national of the USA, an alternative English Language qualification may be required to demonstrate your skill in all four component areas if you require a Student (formerly Tier 4) visa for study at Plymouth.

Further guidance on English language requirements

On our further guidance on English language requirements page you will find a complete list of notes and clarifications across all qualifications for applying to the University of Plymouth.

My course has inspired me to pursue a career in genetics and DNA

The course I chose, BSc (Hons) Conservation Biology, provides me with both practical field experience and lots of fun, supportive lectures and activities that I feel will help me succeed.

Niccolet Guerrero adjusted to living in the UK and found career potential in BSc (Hons) Conservation Biology.

Read Niccolet's story
<p>Niccolet Guerrero, BSc (Hons) Conservation Biology<br></p>
Plymouth Hoe (image courtesy of One Plymouth)
<p>Tinside - Plymouth Hoe</p>