Contact one of the team today to discuss how we can support your recruitment needs or how we can help raise the profile of your organisation on campus:
Telephone: +44 1752 587729
We look forward to hearing from you!
A warm welcome from the Employer Engagement team
The Careers Service provides a range of activities aimed to help connect employers with our talented students and graduates.
Our dedicated Employer Engagement team work in partnership with employers, offering a tailored service depending on your business requirements and objectives.
Explore this page for an overview of our activities and we look forward to talking these through with you in more detail. With a wealth of experience between us you are in safe hands and we’re here to help.
Discover employer events and activities
Log on now or register for an account to add, preview, update and delete your job postings as required.
Promote your vacancies through myCareer
Promote your vacancies through MyCareer
Key benefits to a placement host:
- Identify talented individuals early
- Bring in fresh and innovative ideas
- Bring in a new perspective
- Extra resource for busier times
- No long term commitment
- Helps to raise the profile of your business within the student network
- Students can complete part time hours in the final year
Phone: +44 1752 586007
And speak to:
- Lindsey Marshall: Employer Engagement Officer specialising in placements for psychology, biomedical sciences, chemistry, biological and marine sciences.
- Nikki Reid-Foster: Employer Engagement Officer specialising in placements for built environment, business, tourism, digital arts and criminology
- Andrea Kemp: Employer Engagement Officer specialising in placements for computing, maths, engineering, environmental science, geography and geology.
- Lois Dyer, Myla Serdiuk and Haydon Anstis: our brilliant Employer Engagement Assistants
The Micro-Internships run on set dates three times a year, with one cycle in each academic term. Typically these fall in the following months:
Spring cycle: April
Summer cycle: June – August
For more information on any of our internship opportunities, Melissa Worboys, our Employer Engagement Officer specialising in internships and short work experience opportunities will be happy to talk with you by:
Internship funded by Santander
- you have placement or graduate positions starting in 2023.
- you can offer our students part-time work, work experience, internships or overseas opportunities.
- you are recruiting students from a range of courses and have multiple roles available in your organisation.
Phone: +44 1752 587729
Raise your profile at one of our careers fairs
Careers Fair on campus
Employer insight panels
Planned panels include:
- Careers in marketing
- Careers in sustainability
- Careers in teaching
- Careers in the public sector
- Careers in the South West
Phone: +44 1752 587729
“As an Alumni of the University of Plymouth I have been invited to present at an Earth Sciences/sustainability panel a few times. A student who attended the 2021 event, successfully applied and joined the Environment Agency in December 2022, three months after graduating. The Environment Officer role was advertised on the university’s internal jobs board which can be accessed by students and alumni for career opportunities. He becomes the 5th Environment Officer in Cornwall alone to graduate from university in the past six years, which says a lot for the courses and opportunities the university offer.”
Jack Hale, Environment Officer – Land and Water, Environment Agency.
Panel in action
Employer promotional activities
We are also able to support employers with any ideas they have for delivering their bespoke promotional activities either on campus or virtually. We have hosted everything from coffee carts to assault courses and always welcome the challenge these creative promotional activities provide!
To talk to us about your session ideas or to enquire about date availability and the costs of this activity please speak with Fiona Raymont and Natasha Harrison, our Employer Engagement Officers, specialising in the design and delivery of careers events:
Phone: +44 1752 587729
Employer in the Foyer drop in stands
A foyer stand is a perfect way of engaging with our students for employers who are:
- Wanting to recruit a lot of students – regardless of stage of course
- Raise awareness of their organisation to a large volume of students
- Wanting to raise their profile and share information with our students in one of our busiest places on campus.
Our ‘Employer in the Foyer’ drop-in stands take place at the heart of campus in Charles Seale Hayne Library entrance foyer, that at peak times can see up to 6000 students passing through the doors across the day. The prime time for these sessions are October – December and February – April and there are a limited number of bookable slots on Wednesdays throughout these months.
For more information on the costs associated with this activity and date availability please speak with Fiona Raymont and Natasha Harrison, our Employer Engagement Officers, specialising in the design and delivery of careers events:
Phone: +44 1752 587729
Engage with our students
Civil service drop in session
Skills development activities
Phone: +44 1752 587 729
“I had a brilliant time working with the students and really enjoyed listening to fresh bright minds giving their take on my current business challenge. It really brought to life the issues and there was one suggestion that I hadn’t considered which was using a translator within the mobile app – we will be requesting this as an enhancement to the app, being rolled out as a new initiative across the Devonport site. The students will have made a real difference to the way we work!”
Tamsin Pyne, SAP Business Implementation Lead, Babcock
Professional Mentoring Programmes
Mentoring is a great way to benefit from a rewarding experience whilst also supporting a student. You could mentor with us to:
- Engage with a mentoring Community
- Increase your own skills whilst offering advice and information to others
- Support and encourage others within your sector
We run several programmes across the year, please visit our website www.plymouth.ac.uk/mentoring for the latest programme times. All our programmes include training, events, digital handbook and support throughout the time you are a mentor with us.
For more information please speak either Annette Goddard, Student Engagement Officer or Hannah Pomeroy, Student Engagement Administrator
Connect with Annette and Hannah on LinkedIn
A two way process
Anman and mentor
Linking with the curriculum
Please note, these sessions are limited and will be offered to those who will be most of most benefit to the students, to enhance the subject being delivered. Session planning begins around April for the following year, so these limited sessions get filled quickly.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) – be an organisation of choice!
SME business support
We recognise that SMEs may face different time, resource and budget challenges compared to larger organisations, when it comes to recruitment. However, our team understand these challenges and have several opportunities to help you engage with our service and students and maximise your time on campus, such as funded internships aimed at SMEs and our SME Careers Week. The Employer Engagement Team welcome you to contact us, so we can get to know your business requirements and can tailor your experience. For more information:
Phone: +44 1752 58 7729
The most popular region for University of Plymouth graduates to live and work
Engaging with other University services
As well as working with the Careers Service, your organisation could benefit from connecting and collaborating with the wider University. There are numerous ways to benefit from our resources and talent including accessing equipment and facilities, connecting with our expertise and engaging in professional development. Examples include;
- Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs)
- Degree Apprenticeships
- Funded Projects (e.g. ERDF)
Phone: +44 1752 587729
Sponsor our women’s development programme, Bounce!
Bounce is a free two day personal and professional development programme aimed at current University of Plymouth Students who identify as a woman.
The aim of the programme is to build:
- confidence in recognising their skills and strengths
- personal power
- assertiveness and impact when speaking
- sense of mindfulness and wellbeing
- ability to make personal and professional connections.
What are the benefits of sponsoring Bounce!
We deliver Bounce! three times a year and participant feedback confirms that many have benefited greatly from the two day programme.
As a sponsor you will …
- contribute to building a talent pool/ pipeline of confident and ambitious women
- access students who may not yet have considered you as an employer
- raise the profile of yourself and/or organisation on campus and engage with the University in a unique way; featuring on the website (logo, organisation details) and associated marketing materials
- contribute to your organisation’s corporate social responsibility and diversity/ inclusion strategy outside of graduate recruitment initiatives
- offer your staff a unique staff development opportunity by being one of our guest speakers. A guest speaker slot involves talking about professional journeys (opportunities and challenges) along with sharing tips gained along the way.
How do I sponsor a programme?
Whether you are a sole trader, SME or larger corporation we would love to hear from you and discuss your potential involvement. take a look at our sponsorship opportunities or contact Bounce! Lead facilitator Sarah Plunkett - email@example.com
If you have any questions or would like to register to take part in one of these activities, then please do not hesitate to contact us. We are also excited to hear about the ideas organisations have to interact with our students either virtually or in person and we will happily discuss how we can facilitate these ideas with you. We will look forward to working with you over the next academic year, in whatever capacity that may be!