Use of storytellingUse storytelling to embed employability in the curriculum. The Sheffield University project 'Storying Sheffield' used this method across a wide range of disciplines. Students collect discipline related stories using a range of media, audio, art, photographs, films, written etc. Storying Sheffield found the experience offers new frames of reference and critical skills increased social and community awareness and developed a range of interdisciplinary knowledge and experience.
Micro employer interviews
- Small groups of 2nd years visit a practitioner from their discipline.
- Film a short interview using a pre-agreed discussion guide.
- Students interrogate practitioners about current developments in the industry and ask job securing advice.
- Films are shown to the rest of the class to stimulate discussion and debate.
- University 'Employer Insights': podcast of embedding employability in the curriculum Anderson Deborah, Kingston University.
Job interview assessment
Students write a job application and CV.
Students prepare for a 10 minute video recorded interview.
Students receive individual feedback from the interviewee.
Students complete a piece of reflective writing on assessment for their course work portfolios.
*This assessment can be extended by the student delivering a 5 minute presentation in the context of an interview *
Authentic Assessment - further information and guidance
Discipline related mini conference
Students write a 500 word abstract for a conference.
Students deliver a 10/15 minute paper and participate in a Q&A session.
Students complete a piece of reflective writing on assessment for their course work.
Employers can be invited to observe/assess the presentations/research papers.
The assessment can be adapted through being a group assessment and/or production of a conference poster.Use of the mini-conference in geography and environmental sciences at Edge Hill.
Enhancing employability through dissertations.
- Using student dissertations for the benefit to society and offer students an insight into the challenges of the real working world.
- Students work with an organisation to conduct research and write their dissertation report both for their academic studies and the organisation.
Other employability-related assessment ideas
Replace academic research project with action research.
Customer/patient information leaflets.
Blogs / e-journals.
Community organisation projects including:
- Finance and accounting project
- Websites or wikis
- Event organisation
Dr Victoria Hurth - Associate Professor in Marketing and Business
Dr Victoria Hurth talks about working with employers to deliver and assess learning