The eduroam service (education roaming) is an international WiFi service which enables you as a University of Plymouth student or member of staff to securely access the internet on campus, and while visiting other participating institutions using your University login credentials.
Rules and regulations
By using the eduroam service you have agreed to abide by the following rules and regulations:
Your computer needs to meet the following technical requirements:
- Your computer will need a working 802.11b/g/n WiFi certified Network card, capable of WPA2-Enterprise encryption. If you are unsure if your laptop/mobile device supports these connection standards, please review the manufacturers technical documentation for your device.
- Many computers already have a built-in network adapter but some do not. If you have a new computer, then there is a very good chance you already have this installed. If you are unsure, check your computer’s manual or contact the manufacturer.
- Any computer hardware must meet the minimum system requirements for the operating system as specified by the manufacturer of the operating system.
- All critical updates for your operating system must be installed.
- Up to date anti virus software is installed. If you do not have an up to date anti virus program please view our Anti-Virus software page (log-in required) for information.
There has been issues with the eduroam connection and Atheros wireless adapters in laptops. If the drivers are pre-2008 there is a good chance you will find difficulty connecting. Please ensure your computer is fully updated with the newest Windows updates and contact WiFi support if continuing problems connecting persist.
Any machine connecting to the university network should be fully patched and have up-to-date anti virus software installed and actively working.
Connecting to eduroam
Users can quickly and easily configure their device to connect to eduroam by using the eduroam Configuration Assistant Tool (or 'CAT'). To do so will require an initial Internet connection, so please use the 'withPlymouth' wireless network if required. Then follow these steps:
- Use your web browser to go to https://cat.eduroam.org/?idp=2066&profile=3577
- The web page should automatically select the correct configuration file for your device/operating system - e.g 'MS Windows 10'. If it does not show the correct name for your operating system, then click on the 'All platforms' link beneath it, and select the one suitable for your device.
- Click on the link to download the installer.
- For windows devices, open and run the installer. For other devices, you may need to save the installer, and then run it using the commands appropriate for your operating system.
- In all cases, during installation please enter your main University of Plymouth email address as your username. For example, 'email@example.com', 'firstname.lastname@example.org'.
- Once installed, you should either be automatically connected to eduroam, or be able to manually connect to it.
Eduroam connection setup guides
As an alternative to the above information, please use the relevant instructions in the guides below to connect your device to eduroam, the University's wireless network.