MSc/PgDip Surgical Care Practitioner careers
You’ll be able to apply for band 7 roles. As a surgical care practitioner, you’ll be a member of the extended surgical team responsible to the consultant surgeon. You’ll provide care and appropriate interventions within the perioperative environment, on the wards and in the clinics (usually within a specified surgical specialty). You’ll both work autonomously and collaboratively as part of the multi-disciplinary team, influencing the development of the service.
In clinics, you’ll see specific pre-operative patients and list them for surgical procedures. In the operating theatre, you’ll act as first or second assistant and/or undertake surgical procedures as directed by the supervising surgeon. On the wards, you’ll undertake daily ward rounds, making assessments and formulating plans for patients’ postoperative care. When appropriate, you’ll be involved in discharge planning and the support of follow-up clinics.
Find out more about the MSc/PgDip Surgical Care Practitioner
Further study and research
If you enjoyed researching and writing your project dissertation, you may also wish to progress onto a PhD. You can consult our Doctoral College regarding MPhil or PhD studies, or discuss your plans with your programme leader.
University of Plymouth careers and employability service
As a student with the University, you’ll also have access to facilities and resources offered by the careers and employability service, including:
- careers information
- advice and guidance, which is impartial and confidential
- help with applying for jobs, including application and interview preparation
- job vacancies
- psychometric testing.
Find out more at www.plymouth.ac.uk/careers.
Useful external links
- " NHS Employers: explaining the role of SCPs, including a useful video
- " Case study: Surgical Care Practitioners at Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust
- " NHS Careers website giving information on the range of medical associate professions
- " Information about SCPs from the Royal College of Surgeons