Applications are now closed for 2023.
UK Foundation Programme Office (UKFPO) removal of educational achievements for 2023 entry
We are aware that the UKFPO has released a statement to inform medical schools that they will be removing certain educational achievements – including intercalated degree awards – from the UKFPO application score for 2023 entry.
The value of our intercalated programmes in Urgent and Emergency Care and Critical Care extends far beyond creating a 'points-based advantage' for foundation year one applicants. As one of our clinical intercalated students, you will experience one academic year embedded in clinical practice, actively contributing to patient care with the support of a consultant mentor.
In addition to this, you will receive specialist instruction and inter-professional learning in topics such as quality improvement, leadership and non-technical skills. We firmly believe that graduates from our programmes are well-prepared to care for patients and function as effective doctors during their foundation years and beyond.
Please find more details in this letter to our potential students.
Delivered by experts, our programmes are tailored to you and your career.
During your intercalation, you will engage in quality improvement and develop your confidence and competence as a leader and member of the healthcare team.
The unique mentoring, usually provided by a consultant in emergency medicine and intensive care, will support your progression developing relationships and the wider networks, that is so valuable as you complete your medical degree and commence your early years as a doctor.
We are considering applications from third and fourth-year students. All students will be assessed using identical applicant shortlisting and interview performance criteria and applicants will be assessed on individual merit and potential, not their specific position in training.
Enjoy a truly unique intercalated degree experience.
- A unique opportunity to study Intercalated degree programmes in critical and emergency care
- Explore placements opportunities within your locality
- A long practice placement working in a challenging critical care environment and emergency department
- Develop your interpersonal, professional and clinical skills
- Follow and lead exploring and applying key concepts, professional theories and evidence.
In 2021, we expect to offer a range of student placements across the UK, including some of the biggest and most dynamic NHS Trusts.
Experience working in genuinely challenging clinical environments; real-life experiences mean meaningful education.
Please note that available placements may change, and the map is for illustrative purposes only.
BSc (Hons) Urgent and Emergency Care Intercalated
"I intercalated so I could spend a year delving deeper into my passion for emergency care. I also knew the year spent in an emergency department would elevate me up a few levels before I became a foundation doctor. I networked and built plenty of contacts for the future and I got to explore a lot more of the UK from the various conferences I attended.
"I am currently a GP trainee with a specialist interest in Emergency Medicine."
I was fortunate enough to spend my year at Royal London Hospital and their ED is second to none. I gained incredible mentorship from renowned emergency medicine physicians and was able to use the year to build lifelong friendships.
I became a much more confident, competent and well-rounded medical student and soon-after doctor with bags more experience than my counterparts.
The mentors also helped me massively in becoming much better at writing clinical papers.
Pam is always so caring and looked after us, above and beyond anything we could ask for. She definitely made the year extra special. The extra points gained from the degree secured my first choice jobs for foundation programme."
"I became a much more well-rounded, knowledgeable and confident medical student which I took forward into being a competent foundation doctor."
BSc (Hons) Urgent and Emergency Care Intercalated student
Spend a year experiencing critical care medicine and life in the intensive care unit.
- A truly unique and flexible approach to intercalation. Most of your time is spent on placement in the Intensive Care Unit
- Highly applicable to those interested in careers in intensive care medicine, emergency or acute medicine
- Be mentored by an experienced faculty comprising senior clinicians and subject experts
- Develop highly transferable skills in leadership, quality improvements and research.
Are you an aspiring emergency, acute or pre-hospital physician? Do you want to be ahead of the curve for foundation years and beyond?
- A truly unique and flexible approach to intercalation, most of your time is spent on placement in the Emergency Department
- UK-wide network of placements gives unparalleled choice
- Become a functioning member of the clinical team
- Optional modules include mental health, critical care and clinical decision-making.
- application forms
- change of name forms
- pre-course information
- downloadable guides
- student card.