- Programme DLE
- Personal Tutor and Programme Leads
- Student Representatives and other students
- Erasmus programme
- European Network of Nursing in Higher Education (ENNE)
Some placement options you may wish to consider
General practice is amongst one of the largest branches/specialities within healthcare, with this service being the first point of care for the majority of the population. Being allocated to a general practice placement will give the student an opportunity to be involved and participate in the fundamentals of patient centred care, alongside fostering an understanding of patient perceptions of living with long term conditions, illness and minor ailments.
Placement opportunities within the private and independent sector can involve caring for patients/residents in a nursing home environment. This will mean that effectively you will be helping to care for people in their own ‘home’. This will require skill and diplomacy in care planning, the use of a variety of assessment tools, excellent interpersonal skills and the employment of the six c’s on a daily basis. Caring for people who are resident in a nursing home often requires patience and empathy; these are as vital a nursing intervention as any clinical procedure. Treating people as individuals, ensuring that basic needs are met in a timely manner, but also the emotional and spiritual needs, contributing to person centred care in a truly holistic way.
We have placements with a number of hospices in Somerset, Devon and Cornwall – see the Hospice UK website for details about this sector.
Private hospitals/treatment centres
We have a number of placements within this sector, across the region.
Mental health placements are hosted by the Devon Partnership Trust.
How to apply
1. Identify the proposed placement and contact person.
2. Make your Personal Tutor aware of your wish to apply for an optional placement, including your rationale for this.
3. If the student is an apprentice, they must receive written confirmation from their employer (e.g. via email) that they can go on an optional placement.
4. Submit the application form via our optional placement application form before the deadline; late applications will not be considered.