The Careers Service run a wide range of employer-led careers information and recruitment events to help you to interact with employers as part of your career journey, along with a programme of skills development workshops.
Activities include career fairs, employer drop-ins and insight panels for students wishing to explore placement, graduate and part-time work opportunities, along with workshops on interview success, assessment centre advice and tips for job searching.
Find out more below and visit the link above to see our current and upcoming activities on myCareer.
How will our activities help you?
Our programme of events and activities are aimed at providing you with a series of opportunities to work with employers so you can explore your options, plan your career journey, develop your employability skills, compete to succeed and transition into a confident professional.
Participating in our activities will help you to:
- benefit from expert advice and tips on career planning and job search
- establish links and practice networking with employers in a supportive environment
- explore your career options with various employers
- gain insight into how they recruit into placements, internships and graduate jobs.
Find out more about upcoming career events and skills development activites
Attending a careers fair is a great way to explore the wide range of organisations actively recruiting for part-time, internship, placements and graduate positions. They will also allow you to practice your networking skills with employers in a relaxed informal environment. Our upcoming fairs include:
- Part-time Jobs Fair | Wednesday 2 October 2019
- Placement & Graduate Careers Fair | Tuesday 29 October 2019
- Science and Engineering Placement & Graduate Careers Fair | Wednesday 6 November 2019
- Spring Placement & Graduate Careers Fair | Tuesday 18tFebruary 2020
See who is exhibiting and find out more on myCareer
Our career competitions offer the perfect opportunity for you to develop key employability skills, put into practice the knowledge and theories from your course and the provide the ability to network with businesses and professionals. Opportunities include:
- FLUX – a fast paced enterprise competition where you work as a team to tackle a real life business challenge
- Creative CV Competition – showcase your creative talents and skills through this industry judged competition
Employer in the foyer
Our 'employer in the foyer' drop-ins are a great way of finding out more about a certain employer, the sector that they work in and the selection criteria that they use to recruit.
It will allow you to learn about the skills employers are looking for and will give you a chance to meet employers from companies that you may be interested in working for.
Sprint – women's development for undergraduates
Sprint is an action-packed four-day programme for undergraduate women currently studying at the University, designed to help you take control of your personal development.
Our licensed trainers from the Careers Service will guide you through the programme where you will explore and develop your skills and increase your confidence in a safe environment. You will meet other like-minded undergraduates and industry professionals from a range of areas and a variety of backgrounds.
Skills development workshops
These bite-sized, informal and interactive sessions are delivered on campus during term-time. You can gain top tips and share your experiences with like-minded students and recent graduates. Recent topics include:
- improving your job search strategy
- using LinkedIn effectively
- finding relevant work experience
- making successful job applications
- preparing for interviews
- succeeding at assessment centres.
Search for upcoming skills development workshops on myCareer.
Career insight conferences and industry panels
Become inspired by discovering more about a particular industry and gain an insight into the opportunities available with your degree. Our Careers and Employability Consultants work closely with programme leaders to develop comprehensive curriculum-based career conferences to support with skills development and provide you with the chance to network with organisations.
Our employer panel events allow you to listen to career journeys from business professionals, a majority of whom are University of Plymouth graduates, and to partake in Q&A sessions.
See upcoming career conferences and employer insight panels on myCareer.
Our employer networking events provide you with the opportunity to develop and enhance your networking skills, which are vital for your employment and business goals, with industry professionals.
Gain insight, find out from professionals about their jobs, roles, and their experience of the industry and gain commercial awareness and increase your confidence, approaching and talking to professionals and businesses. Our next networking events include:
- Business Enterprise Breakfast | Wednesday 20 November 2019 | 08:00–10:00
- Arts and Humanities Networking Evening | Thursday 5 March 2020 | 17:30–19:30
Find out more and book your space on mycareer.