Students and student ambassadors moving luggage into accommodation halls using a trolley


Personal documents and ID
Keep things like your passport, National Insurance number, university application and student loan documents somewhere safe when travelling. You may need them to register for local services and apply for part-time work.
Ensure you have a way to access enough funds to last until the date of your first loan or grant payment.
If you take medications, aim to bring enough to last until you can register with a local doctor. Bringing copies of prescriptions and medical information about you (in English translation, if applicable) can also be helpful. 
International arrivals
Students arriving from overseas should carry all documents needed for entry into the UK on their person or in their hand luggage.

What is already included?

Our University-managed accommodation includes many of the basic items, furniture and utilities you will need to be comfortable. Check the halls of residence you will be living in to see exactly what is provided for each accommodation type.
If you are renting private sector accommodation, ask your landlord or letting agent for an itinerary of the items included in the property.
Student ambassador helps a new student move into student halls accommodation

Things to bring

Once you have your essentials with you, everything else can be bought on and around campus – so no need to worry if you've forgotten something. But to save money and make your first semester easier, consider bringing the below items.


The weather in the South West is mild compared to other parts of the UK but changes quickly and often. If you're joining us in September, plan to experience at least some of a Plymouth winter – which usually means rain. A warm, waterproof coat and some boots are a good idea.  


  • Towels
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Shower gel and shampoo
  • Shaving products
  • Sanitary products
  • Toilet roll
  • Cleaning products


  • Frying pans and pots (two of each is enough to cook most simple meals)
  • A knife, fork and spoon
  • A sharp chef's knife  
  • Plates and bowls
  • Cups and glasses
  • Wooden spoons (two should be enough)
  • Tea towels
  • Cleaning products
  • Tea or coffee (a good first-day ice-breaker)
When you've settled in, you might find buying food and shared items with your new housemates to be the most economical way of running your flat. 
Students relaxing in bedroom of a halls of residence.
Bedroom and en suite bathroom in a halls of residence
A kitchen in Francis Drake Halls of Residence

Cycling and watersports equipment

A limited number of bicycle and watersports storage facilities are provided free of charge. Please arrange this with your hall reception upon arrival. Bicycles can also be stored at many locations around campus: Google map of campus facilities.

PAT Testing

We offer a PAT test service for student electrical equipment once a year and details of this service will be emailed to residents. In addition, PAT testing of electrical appliances provided in our Halls is conducted annually. 
To ensure electrical safety in Halls please:
  • do not overload extension leads
  • ensure that any electrical appliance that plugs into the wall socket has a fused 3 pin plug
  • ensure any appliances do not exceed 230v.
Please alert the Halls Team or your student reception if you experience any electrical faults in your flat.

Bringing a car

We do not provide parking spaces for our halls of residence and parking is limited in the centre of Plymouth. All the halls of residence are close to both the University and the city centre. Public transport links are good; for example, there is a frequent bus to Derriford Hospital.
There are various spaces around campus for blue badge holders.
Please park only where you are permitted to do so, as parking fines are enforced on campus and at halls of residence.

Prohibited items

  • Firearms (real or replica, including airsoft and paint-ball devices)
  • Fireworks
  • Fuel
  • Non-British standard adaptors or extension leads
  • Deep fat fryers
  • Candles, incense or open flames
  • Supplementary heaters
  • Domestic appliances (e.g., kettles, mini fridges, toasters and microwaves not provided by Accommodation Services)
  • Plug-in air fresheners
  • Barbecues
Mary Newman Building