• ~ "I would recommend counselling to anyone because it has helped me so much." - Feedback from a student after attending our one-to-one counselling sessions.

We offer short-term counselling focused on your academic and university life.

Our 'One By One Model', aims to help you make the most of each session.

After each session, we encourage you to:

  • reflect on your learning from the session
  • digest this learning for a while
  • take some action based on this learning. For example, you can try out suggestions or strategies and see what effect they have.
  • let time pass
  • decide if you need to book a further session.
When you choose to book another session you can do so with any counsellor on the team via our online appointment self-scheduling system. Sessions are subject to availability and you are only able to book one session in any given week.

We are delighted to be able to extend our counselling offer with the addition of Associate Counsellors to the team.

Associate Counsellors are either fully trained, volunteering their time, or trainee counsellors on placement. These sessions are available upon invitation by us (please feel free to inquire)

  • Evening sessions up to 19:00 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, October through to the end of the academic year.
  • Limited to 4-6 weekly sessions only.
Complex needs and specialist approaches

If your needs are more complex and require a specialist or long-term approach, we will direct you to more appropriate services in the community, including the NHS. Almost all city services operate waiting lists, generally a few months, so we will also suggest other ways of helping yourself in the meantime.

How long will I have to wait?

Once your form has been triaged you will be advised to book your appointment using our online appointment self-scheduling system. This means you can select a time and day which best suits your needs.

We hope you will be able to find an appointment within 10 working days (our average wait last year was 6.9 days) but we are a busy service and at peak times it can sometimes be longer.

If you are in urgent need of support you can refer to our support on our immediate help page, call in to our Wellbeing Drop-in or access Mental Health Drop-in.

Can I choose the gender of my counsellor?

Online appointment self-scheduling allows you to choose your counsellor, and their gender.

Counselling and record keeping

Brief notes of your session are kept on a secure, password protected database, accessible only by Student Wellbeing Services staff.

The fact that you have used our service will not appear on your student record.

See more about confidentiality.

Extenuating Circumstances letters

You can request a letter in support of your EC application if you're in counselling with us and your studies are evidently affected.

Please note, your counsellor can only make a comment on the period where they have seen you and on what has been discussed during a session. We normally require 10 day notice to produce a letter.

Sometimes a letter from your GP is more appropriate.

For more information on extenuating circumstances, please see the University policy.


Physical access

The student wellbeing service reception on the main Plymouth campus is based in the Student Hub, in the Charles Seale-Hayne Library and is fully accessible. Counselling sessions are held in 4 Portland Mews where there is wheelchair access to the ground floor, a waiting area, one consulting room and adapted toilet facilities.

If have an appointment and need it to be in a ground floor room, please contact us on +44 1752 587676 in advance and we'll arrange this for you. If required, we can arrange parking for disabled students in a bay immediately outside the building.

Written materials

All our service publicity can be produced in different formats on request.

How can we help you?

We want to make our service accessible to all undergraduate and taught postgraduate students. If there are any barriers to you using the service, please contact us and we'll be happy to make alternative arrangements or adjustments wherever possible to accommodate your needs.



Togetherall is a safe, online, peer-to-peer community where people support each other anonymously to improve mental health and wellbeing. Togetherall is designed to help you take control of your mental health and start to feel better. You will have access to a 24/7 online community and professional support from trained counsellors. Togetherall provides a safe space online to get things off your chest, explore your feelings, get creative and learn how to self-manage your mental health and wellbeing.

Togetherall is free and totally anonymous, so no one will know you’ve chosen to use it unless you tell them!

Find out more about Togetherall

<p>Student Wellbeing Services team 2021<br></p>

Student Wellbeing Services – Plymouth campus

Student Hub, Charles Seale-Hayne Library, University of Plymouth, Drake Circus, Plymouth, PL4 8AA

Opening times: Monday–Friday, 8:30–17:00 (Wednesday open 10:00, Friday close 16:30)

Truro Knowledge Spa