What equipment should I bring?

If you are moving into student accommodation you'll need to bring some essentials along with you. Here are a few suggestions

2 min read

Advice for International students

To avoid additional airport luggage fees, some international students only bring their essentials (clothes, toiletries and homely items) with them and purchase their bedding and kitchen equipment on arrival. There are many budget friendly shops within close walking distance to our halls of residence, where you can easily purchase all of these items.

Get in touch with the Residence Life team who can advise you on the best places to purchase any items that you can not bring with you.  

International history


  • Duvet
  • Duvet covers
  • Pillows
  • Pillow cases
  • Flat sheet
  • Mattress protector
  • Washing basket
  • Clothes and shoes
  • Decorative items to make it homely


  • Towels
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Toiletries
  • Toilet roll
  • Cleaning products


  • Food and drink
  • Frying pan/wok, pots, cooking dishes and pans
  • Cutlery
  • Plates and bowls
  • Cups and glasses
  • Utensils
  • Tea towels
  • Cleaning products
  • Additional items (you may wish to wait and buy items with your flatmates such as blenders, sandwich makers, etc.)

Can I bring a bike or watersport equipment?

A limited number of bicycles and watersports storage facilities are provided free of charge. Please arrange this with your hall reception upon arrival.

Can I bring a car?

We do not provide parking spaces for our halls of residence and parking is very limited in the centre of Plymouth. All the halls of residence are close to both the University and the city centre. Public transport links are very good; for example, there is a frequent bus to Derriford Hospital.

There are various spaces around campus for blue badge holders.

Please note that if you park on campus or any of our halls without a valid permit then you are liable to be fined, which we are sure you will want to avoid. So please make sure that you park only where you are permitted to do so.

Prohibited items

  • Firearms (real or replica, including airsoft and paint-ball devices)
  • Fireworks
  • Fuel
  • Non-British standard adaptors or extension leads
  • Deep fat fryers
  • Candles, incense or open flames
  • Supplementary heaters
  • Domestic appliances (for example kettle, mini fridge, toaster and microwaves)
  • Plug-in air fresheners
  • Barbecues

PAT Testing

We do not offer a service to PAT test student electrical appliances however PAT testing of electrical appliances provided by Accommodation in our halls is conducted annually.

<p>Mary Newman Building</p>