Mr Alan Williams
Media & Communications Officer
Communication Services (External Relations)
I am a member of the University's Media and Communications team, and work with academics and students to produce a range of content, including written, video, social media etc.
I joined the University in January 2012, having spent more than 12 years working as a journalist at various publications across the South West, including the Western Morning News and Western Daily Press. In that time, I worked as a local government correspondent before undertaking various newsdesk roles, which gave me a good sense of what media look for in a story but also some of the positive and negative aspects of working with PR professionals.
- Social Media Masterclass (Janet Murray - September 2013)
- Parliament for Press Officers (Parli-Training - November 2016)
- Film training for iPhone and Android (Ministry of Media - May 2017)
- Keeping control during testing times (UCEA - March 2015)
- UKRI Press Officers Day (UKRI - November 2017)
Information about my work at the University
Examples of media coverage I have helped secure
Drinking glasses can contain harmful levels of lead andcadmium
Washing clothes releases thousands of microplastic particlesinto environment, study shows
New species of diving beetle found living in isolation inAfrica
Prisoner of war’s coded letters home cracked by academics