Research funding skills
Research and Innovation provides a range of training to help you find funding sources and write successful applications.
In addition to the seven central funding courses listed below, we are also available to work with Schools, Institutes and Faculties to provide bespoke training. Examples of bespoke courses that we can deliver include:
- application review sessions, e.g. to develop applications before submission or consider unsuccessful applications and how they can be improved
- funder or programme specific sessions, e.g. Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund, Global Challenges Research Fund
- introduction to research funding for early career researchers.
We can also run tailored versions of any of the central training sessions below at School, Institute or Faculty events.
The duration of all of the courses listed below will be one hour.
How to book
Bookings for 2022/23 courses can be made through Employee Self Service. Log in with your user name and password and click on Learning and Development and then search courses by typing the key words 'research support' to list all of the 2022/23 Research & Innovation research funding courses.
View slides from all events (internal access only).
If you have any queries or need help with your application, please email our team inbox at email@example.com.
1. How to write a successful research application
Learn to prepare your research application in a way that maximises its chances of success.
- 10.00 Wednesday 2 November 2022
- 14.00 Thursday 23 February 2023
- 14.00 Wednesday 3 May 2023
2. Working with Research Professional
Interactive sessions to set up your personal alerts for new and forthcoming funding opportunities to increase your chances of early grant capture.
- 10.00 Wednesday 26 October 2022
- 14.00 Thursday 17 November 2022
- 14.00 Thursday 19 January 2023
- 14:00 Thursday 16 February 2023
- 14:00 Thursday 27 April 2023
- 10.00 Wednesday 24 May 2023
3. How funders review and assess funding applications
This course provides an insight into funding review processes and how funding decisions are made.
- 10.00 Wednesday 16 November 2022
- 14:00 Thursday 9 February 2023
- 10:00 Wednesday 10 May 2023
4. Introduction to research application finances
Learn how to prepare costs for your research funding application.
- 10.00 Wednesday 9 November 2022
- 14.00 Thursday 2 March 2023
- 10.00 Wednesday 17 May 2023
5. Fellowships – all you need to know
Learn about what type of fellowships are available, their benefits and how to apply for them.
- 10.00 Wednesday 23 November 2022
- 14.00 Thursday 2 February 2023
6. Introduction to research funding in the UK
This session is for researchers who are not familiar with the UK research funding system. It covers the main sources of funding such as government departments, learned societies and academies, and charitable organisations.
- 10:00 Wednesday 19 October 2022
- 14:00 Thursday 26 January 2023
7. Funding opportunities for early career researchers – arts, humanities and social science disciplines
This session provides practical help for ECRs in the arts, humanities and social science disciplines to find funding opportunities and includes a short overview about how to write a successful application.
- 10.00 Wednesday 7 December 2022
- 14.00 Thursday 16 March 2023
8. Funding opportunities for early career researchers – health
This session provides practical help for ECRs in the health disciplines to find funding opportunities and includes a short overview about how to write a successful application.
- 10.00 Wednesday 30 November 2022
- 14.00 Thursday 30 March 2023
9. Funding opportunities for early career researchers – science
This session provides practical help for ECRs in the science disciplines to find funding opportunities and includes a short overview about how to write a successful application.
- 10.00 Wednesday 14 December 2022
- 14.00 Thursday 23 March 2023
10. Overview of Research & Innovation services
This session provides an introduction to the different services provided by R&I including:
- Research application support and costing
- Commercial research and consultancy through UoPEL
- Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP)
- Guidance on research impact
- Research ethics
- Intellectual property and research commercialisation advice
- Business incubation and innovation services
- Enterprise Solutions.
- 14.00 Wednesday 12 October 2022
- 14.00 Thursday 12 January 2023
- 10.00 Wednesday 26 April 2023
UKRO annual visit
In addition to our regular training sessions we host an annual visit from the UK Research Office in Brussels on all aspects of EU research funding.
The 2022 visit will take place on Wednesday 2 February 2022 (10:00-12:00) and will focus on Horizon Europe developments. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to attend.
The 2021 visit provided an overview of Horizon Europe. View slides from the session (internal access only).
The 2020 visit was about Horizon 2020.