PYNDA | Alumni association for Plymouth's maritime graduates
Who we are
Formed back in 1970 by some of Plymouth’s earliest graduates in Nautical Studies, today PYNDA boasts a membership of around 400 individuals who are in regular contact with the University, and each other, through networking opportunities, communications, and much more.
Our network reaches far and wide across the sector, with PYNDA members occupying all levels within the maritime industries - from new entrants to influential business leaders.
Han Ozturk recently took over from Mark Warner as the New Chair of PYNDA and looks forward to greeting members, new and longstanding, at future events.
Become a member
As a member of PYNDA, you'll be connected with hundreds of nautical, marine and maritime professionals across the sector. You'll benefit from numerous opportunities for professional networking, collaboration and the forming of mutually beneficial relationships.
By becoming a member of PYNDA, you demonstrate your commitment to supporting the ongoing success of this established network of Plymouth graduates.
We charge a small membership fee of £10 per year, which covers events and administration costs. This payment is processed entirely outside of the University, by the PYNDA Committee. If you're a current student, or have graduated within the last year, you're eligible for free membership.
For more information and to join PYNDA, visit our website.
Meet the PYNDA committee
Meet the PYNDA committee
- Director of Nectar Group Holdings.
- Han was elected as the Chair of the PYNDA Committee in 2016 and has over 30 years of experience in the shipping industry. Han is currently the Director of Nectar Group Holdings. After spending six years at sea as Chief Officer, Han came ashore in 1989 and has worked for a variety of companies, including Van Ommeren Shipbroking and Inchcape Shipping Services.
- Treasurer of PYNDA since 2016, taking over the role from Han Ozturk
- He is an advisor to various shipping services businesses and is a Non-Executive Director of Nectar Group
- David graduated from University of Plymouth with a BSc in Nautical Studies and also holds an MBA from Cranfield University
- He spent six years at sea with P&O Group before studying at University of Plymouth and subsequently worked in the container leasing business and in ports & terminal management before spending ten years in the express transport industry with TNT and DHL. Most recently he was CEO of Pole Star Space Applications
- Visiting Fellow, University of Plymouth Marine Institute.
- Paul has been involved in the international shipping industry for over 50 years, having entered HMS Conway Merchant Navy Training School at the age of 13, and later undertaking a Deck Officer apprenticeship with Alfred Holt and Company of Liverpool.
- In 1979, Paul joined Plymouth's School of Maritime Studies as a lecturer and embarked on an academic career, undertaking an MSc International Shipping in 1986. He retired in the summer of 2014 following time as Leader of the International Shipping and Logistics Group (2000-06) and Associate Director of the Marine Institute (2006-14). In retirement Paul continues his interests in the industry through work with many external organisations, including the Nautical Institute, Maritime Foundation and the South West Ports Welfare Group. He is an active member of PYNDA.
- Lecturer in Maritime Business, University of Plymouth.
- Sarah served in the Merchant Navy for 12 years as a deck officer and qualified as a Master Mariner. Her research interests include sustainable ports and shipping, qualitative research methods and short sea shipping.
- Sarah’s role on the PYNDA Committee is to connect the Committee to University of Plymouth staff and students.