Dr Stavros Karamperidis
Lecturer in Maritime Economics
Plymouth Business School (Faculty of Business)
Dr Stavros Karamperidis is a Lecturer in Maritime Economics.
- Member of the European Freight and Logistics Leaders Forum and member of their academic board.
- Board Member of the Supply Chain Risk Industry Partnership (Scottish Business Resilience Center).
- Member of Maritime Cyber Threats Research Group, Plymouth University (https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/research/maritime-cyber-threats-research-group).
- Member of the Business Models board for the Scottish Institute of Re-manufacturing.
- Member of the International Association of Maritime Economists.
- Chartered Member of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Member of the Hellenic Association of Maritime Economists.
- Member of the Geotechnical Chamber of Greece.
Course leader :
- MAR 701 Research Skills and Economics, Postgraduate.
- MAR 706 Port Policy and Management, Postgraduate.
- MAR 207 Maritime Geography and Economics, Undergraduate.
- MAR 710 Research project (dissertation).
- Shipping and Ports Operation (C11MO), Postgraduate.
- Maritime Business and Economics (C11MU), Postgraduate.
- Strategies for Managing Supply Chains (C11LS), Postgraduate.
- Research Philosophy (C11BU), Postgraduate.
- Business Research (C19RH), Undergraduate.
My prime research interests are in shipping and ports logistics, transport performance measurement, indices development, business models application in maritime sector and cyber security. I also have a research interest in circular economy business support and engagement to deliver environmental and financial benefits.
Grants & contracts
- £ 27,165 Turbo Guy. To support Turbo Guy’s growth ambitions by enhancing business development capabilities, developing a new brand identity and business model.
- £ 27,662 CCL North. To support CCL North’s growth ambitions by enhancing business development capabilities, developing a new brand identity and business model.
- £ 43,500 James Watt Scholarships. PhD Study: Understanding the Role of Port Relationships for Port Performance - A Social Capital Perspective, 2016-2018.
- £ 10,000 Montrose Port Authority. North East Scottish ports strategic market diversification from oil industry: The case of Montrose port, 2018.
- £ 38,791 Menzies Distribution Limited and CCL North. Pilot study for collection of small Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) in Glasgow.
Previous research projects involvement:
- £50,000 Menzies Distribution Limited. Adding value to re-manufacturing through reverse logistics, 2016-2017.
- £9,663 Increase knowledge and visibility in re-manufacturing process of Turbo Guy company, 2016.
- Duisburger Hafen. Evaluating political, economic and logistical environment
- Comparative study between physical and cyber-crime in shipping sector. Report was produced for Supply Chain Risk Industry Partnership
- Grangemouth port. Cost Benefit Analysis for the Implementation of Port Centric Logistics at the Port of Grangemouth.
- Smart Micro-logistics for the Rural Economy (SMiLE), Aberdeen University.
- Low Carbon Shipping, Newcastle University.
- An exploratory investigation of the factors affecting costs and efficiencies of shipping bulk commodities in the context of extended global agricultural supply chains, Newcastle University.
- Antony, J., Karamperidis, S., Antony, F.-J., and Cudney, E. A., (in press) Understanding and Evaluating Teaching Effectiveness in the UK Higher Education Sector using Experimental Design: A Case Study, International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management
- Solvang, H., Karamperidis, S., Valantasis-Kanellos, N., Song, D.-W., (in press) An Exploratory Study on the Northern Sea Route as an Alternative Shipping Passage: A Norwegian Perspective. Maritime Policy and Management.
- Syltevik, S., Karamperidis, S., Antony, J., Taheri, B., 2018 Lean for Airport Services: a systematic literature review and agenda for future research. International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management. 35 (1), pp.34-49
- Karamperidis, S., 2017. Comparative study between physical and cyber-crime in shipping sector. Report was produced for Supply Chain Risk Industry Partnership, October 2017.
- Scheuring, F., Karamperidis, S., Craith, M.N., 2017. Social Capital in Collaborative Port Relationships and its Effects on Port Performance. In: 25th International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME) Conference, 27-30 June 2017, Kyoto, Japan.
- Karamperidis, S., Farrington, T., O’Gorman, K., Bititci, U., 2016 Getting the right thing done in Kefallonia – ethics, cruise industry, and disaster management In: 21st Logistics Research Network (LRN) Conference, 7-9 September 2016, Hull, United Kingdom.
- Solvang, H., Karamperidis, S., Valantasis-Kanellos, N., Song, D.-W., 2016. A dynamic capabilities perspective on first mover advantages of Norway in the Northern Sea Route. In: 24th International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME) Conference, 23-26 August 2016, Hamburg.
- Karamperidis, S., September 2016. Why cruise liners could be a crucial part of the response to national disasters https://theconversation.com/why-cruise-liners-could-be-a-crucial-part-of-the-response-to-national-disasters-65759
- Bititci, U., Karamperidis, S. 2016. Operations Management In: Arshed, N., McFarlane, J., MacIntosh, R. (ed.) Enterprise and Its Business Environment, Oxford: Goodfellow Publishers Ltd., 169-195.
- van der Loo, S., Chen, L., Edwards, P., Holden, J.A., Karamperidis, S., Kollingbaum, M.J., Marqui, A.C., Nelson, J.D., Norman, T.J., Piecyk, M., Pignotti, E., 2015. Development of a Digital Tool to Overcome the Challenges of Rural Food SMEs. Scottish Geographical Journal, 131 (3-4), 212-219.
- Schiffling, S., Nelson, J.D., Karamperidis, S. 2015. Local Shops vs. Online Retailers: Competition or Synergy? Scottish Geographical Journal, 131 (3-4), 220-227.
- Chen, L., Edwards, P., Holden, J.A., Karamperidis, S., Kollingbaum, M.J., Marqui, A.C., Nelson, J.D., Norman, T.J., Piecyk, M., Pignotti, E., van der Loo, S. 2014. A Digital Tool to Overcome the Challenges of Rural Food SMEs in Scotland. In: 19th Logistics Research Network (LRN) Conference, 3-5 September 2014, Huddersfield, United Kingdom.
- Karamperidis, S., Nelson, J.D., Pignotti, E., Chen, L., Holden, J.A., Zeng, C., Kollingbaum, M.J., Norman, T.J., Edwards, P., Marqui, A.C. 2014. Developing SMiLE (Smart Micro-Logistics for the Rural Economy): Evidence from Scotland. 46th Universities' Transport Study Group Conference, 6-8 January 2014, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- Chen, L., Pignotti, E., Marqui, A., Kollingbaum, M., Zeng, C., Karamperidis, S., Norman, T., Edwards, P., Nelson, J., 2013. SMiLE: Smart Micro-logistics for the Rural Economy. The Fourth Annual Digital Economy All Hands Conference, 4-6 November, MediaCityUK, Salford, United Kingdom.
- Holden, J., Pignotti, E., Chen, L., Karamperidis, S. December 2013. Small businesses think smart to keep up with Amazon drones. https://theconversation.com/small-businesses-think-smart-to-keep-up-with-amazon-drones-21047
- Karamperidis, S., Jackson, E., Mangan, J., 2013. The Use of Indices in the Maritime Transport Sector. Maritime Policy and Management, 40 (4), 339-350.
- Karamperidis, S., Mangan, J., Jackson, E., 2013. Development of an Index for Maritime Container Transport Costs, Connectivity and Risks. Conference of International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME), 3-5 July 2013, Marseille.
- Mangan, J., Lalwani, C., Gibbs, D., Feng, M., Karamperidis, S., 2012. The Relationship between Transport Logistics, Future Ship Design and Whole System Efficiency. 2nd Low Carbon Shipping Conference 2012, 11-12 September 2012, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- Jackson, E., Karamperidis, S., Mangan, J., 2012. UK Container Shipping Industry Perceptions of Risk. In: Wilding, R., ed. 17th Logistics Research Network (LRN) Conference 2012, Go for Gold - Winning the Supply Chain Triathlon: Creating Social, Economic and Environmental Value, 5 September 2012, Cranfield.
- Karamperidis, S., Mangan, J., Jackson, E., 2010. Developing an Index of Maritime Costs and Connectivity for the UK. In: Whiteing, T., ed. 15th Logistics Research Network (LRN) Conference 2010, Towards the Sustainable Supply Chain: Balancing the Needs of Business, Economy and the Environment, 9 September 2010, Harrogate, 341-349.
Other academic activities
- I am a visiting Professor at World Maritime University and I am regularly invited to deliver guest lecturers at Merchant Maritime Academies. I used to be a guest lecturer at Newcastle University.
- Supervision of the best MSc Logistics Dissertation of the Year 2016 for UK and Ireland, Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport.
- Director of the MA International Business Management with year abroad programme at Heriot Watt University.
- Director of the MSc pathway Logistics and Supply Chain Management with Shipping and Port Operations at Heriot Watt University
- Stavros was responsible for the social activities of the PG students for the school of Social Sciences at Heriot-Watt University.
- Part of a validation team responsible for a newly BSc in Maritime Management.
- Accreditation of courses by the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers.