Equality, diversity and inclusion is the responsibility of us all and creating an inclusive environment is only possible if individuals, regardless of their sexual orientation, promote positive respectful behaviour. By having visible LGBT allies we can promote a safe environment for LGBT staff and students to be themselves.
An LGBT ally is anyone who wishes to publically support the LGBT community and is committed to equality and creating an inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves; by pledging your support your will receive a rainbow lanyard.
To sign up as an LGBT+ ally, please email us on LGBTForum@plymouth.ac.uk and tell us why you want to be an ally and what you feel you can contribute.
Welcome to the LGBT+ Staff Network
- To provide an opportunity for LGBT+ staff to network both inside and outside the University and to offer possibilities for social and professional peer support.
- Create visibility for the LGBT+ staff community at the University of Plymouth and act as an information / welcome point for new LGBT+ staff and all new colleagues.
- Be a safe point of contact for all LGBT+ staff.
- Support the development of an LGBT+ friendly culture at the University of Plymouth.
- Provide first level support to LGBT+ staff who feel they are being bullied or harassed on the grounds of sexual orientation or sexual identity.
- Raise awareness of issues affecting our LGBT+ staff, especially those affecting bi, transgender, gender diverse, non-binary, and gender non-conforming staff.
- Advise and give feedback on University policy development and associated practice.
- To provide information and training to allow our non-LGBT+ colleagues to be effective LGBT+ Allies and support the LGBT+ staff and students at the University.
- Active – Happy to be a public face of the LGBT+ Staff Network
- Inclusive – Invited to meetings but only other members can contact you
- Private – Supporting the network but do not want your membership to be known
- Ally – You do not identify as LGBT+ but want to be an ally and support the network
Fill in this short form to join
Support and training
LGBT+ Allies training
LGBT+ Allies Network
Are you passionate about supporting your LGBT+ colleagues and students? If you identify as heterosexual and/or cisgender but still want to help the University of Plymouth address LGBT+ equality then you may wish to join our vibrant LGBT+ Allies Network!
By signing up as an ally you will receive a new rainbow lanyard to wear around campus and take part in LGBT+ Allies training so you can learn about the challenges faced by LGBT+ people and how best to support them. In addition, throughout the year you will be invited to social events, seminars and training courses to help you make the most out of your role as an LGBT+ Ally.
LGBT+ inclusion maps
- Aurora Women's Leadership Development
- Management Essentials: Mental Health Awareness
- Management Essentials: Understanding Privilege and Bias
Mr Jonathan Coe
Senior Technician (Marine Science)
LGBT+ Staff Network Co-chair
Miss Jess Darling
Staff Networks and Outreach Administrator
LGBT+ Staff Network Secretary and Bi Rep
Dr Michael Dillon
Lecturer in Infection and Immunity
LGBT+ Staff Network Co-chair and Gay Rep
LGBT+ Lesbian Rep
Miss Caitlin McAndry
Teaching and Support Assistant