Welcome to Plymouth Electron Microscopy Centre (PEMC) which offers expert and specialist support to students, researchers, academics and industry. We have a comprehensive range of light microscopes, electron microscopes, imaging processing and analysis software providing support to a range of disciplines within the University, external research organisations and industry clients.
Our equipment is integrated with sophisticated software for image analysis, image processing and x-ray characterisation of materials, with facilities for rapid report generation.
We are proud to announce that, thanks to ERDF funding, we have invested in a new FIB-SEM, which arrived in January 2018 and brings 3D capability to PEMC. It also gives us the opportunity to work with over 40 Devon companies, for free, investigating materials and components in more detail, through the Plymouth Materials Characterisation Project.
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
- Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM)
- Low-vacuum SEM, with large chamber
- Low-temperature SEM (cryo)
- Light / optical microscopy
- Confocal microscopy
- Electron backscatter diffraction (EBSD)
- EDS (Energy Dispersive Spectrometry)
- WDS (Wavelength Dispersive Spectrometry)
- Mineral analysis