The Plymouth Astronomical Society (PAS) meets every month at the University of Plymouth. Society meetings are free to members and visitors are very welcome to attend at a cost of £2 on the door.
All meetings are held in the Babbage Building unless otherwise stated and there is disabled access to the venue. If the ground floor door is locked, please ring 01752 588400.
Friday 14 September: The Night Sky in September
- The HOYS-CAPS Citizen Science Project, by Dr Dirk Forebrich, Senior Lecturer in Astronomy and Astrophysics at the University of Kent at Canterbury and Principal Investigator for this project.
Friday 12 October: The Night Sky in October
- Black Holes, by Professor David McMullan, Professor of Particle Physics, University of Plymouth.
Friday 9 November: The Night Sky in November
- Eddington Lodge, by Hannah Davey. Eddington Lodge is a stargazing holiday complex near Bude, North Cornwall.
- Equipment Display and Discussion - if you want to learn how to use your telescope or are considering buying one soon, then this meeting is for you!
Friday 14 December: The Night Sky in December
- 100 Years On – Forgotten Astronomical Events and Astronomers of WW1, by Sheila Evans.
- Christmas Quiz and Raffle
Friday 11 January: The Night Sky in January
- Dynamic Skies, by Will Gater. Will is a well-known astronomy journalist, author and presenter who appears on TV and radio and writes regularly for Astronomy Now, BBC Sky at Night Magazine, New Scientist, etc.
Friday 8 February: The Night Sky in February
- Identifying Meteorite Impact Sites, by Mike Shearer.
Friday 8 March: The Night Sky in March
- Leicester's Space Rockets, by Roger Cooper.
Friday 12 April: The Night Sky in April
- The Beginnings of the Space Age, by Professor David Southwood, PAS Patron and currently Chair of the Steering Board for the UK Space Agency. David was President of the Royal Astronomical Society from 2012-14.
Friday 10 May: The Night Sky in May
- Ancient Skies and Megaliths of Cornwall, by Brian Sheen, Director of the Roseland Observatory at St Stephen, St Austell, Cornwall.
Friday 14 June: The Night Sky in June (NB: this meeting will be held in Room 206/207, Roland Levinsky Building)
- Earth Satellites and Space Debris (and my small part in its downfall), by Chris Cooke.
Friday 12 July: The Night Sky in July (NB: this meeting will be held in Room 206/207, Roland Levinsky Building)
- Talk TBA
- Summer Quiz and Raffle
- PAS AGM