Our Nursing Associate Apprenticeship enables both new and existing healthcare staff to study for a fully-funded FdSc in nursing whilst in paid employment. The programme provides employers the opportunity to up-skill their workforce and plan to meet current and future healthcare needs.
Delivered by experienced Registered Nurses, the flexible, work-based programme provides apprentices with the knowledge and skills to support the provision of quality care across a range of healthcare settings. Apprentices will become an important part of the nursing family, helping to make a difference to individuals, their families and communities.
- Two-year, full-time course with attendance at University one day a week.
- Designed for employees working a minimum of 30 hours per week, apprentices will remain part of the workforce and continue to contribute to patient/client care whilst working towards the qualification.
- For the duration of the programme employees will split their time between study and guided practice, as well as undertaking placements in a variety of settings.
- Employees have the option to study at Plymouth, our Knowledge Spa Campus in Truro or at our School of Nursing in Exeter.
- Once qualified, Nursing Associates may work across a wide range of healthcare settings, including acute or community hospitals (across a range of clinical areas); community nursing teams and GP practices.
“These new ways of entering nursing offer some really exciting opportunities for people wanting to have a rewarding career but can’t afford to study for a degree in the traditional way. The University of Plymouth is building on its established close relationships with NHS and private healthcare partners to create a ‘win-win’ for all - offering employment support, work-based learning, and the ability to gain a nursing registration in two years for healthcare employees who show talent and want to develop their nursing career.”
Professor Bridie Kent, Interim Executive Dean, Health and Human Sciences, University of Plymouth
Degree Apprenticeship: BSc (Hons) Nursing
On successful completion of the Nursing Associate Foundation Degree, employees may be interested in becoming a registered nurse. The Nursing Degree Apprenticeship is a flexible, work-based route for both new and existing healthcare practitioners.
The BSc (Hons) Nursing apprenticeship provides the opportunity to remain in employment whilst studying for a degree in adult or mental health nursingFind out more about degree apprenticeships in nursing