Can you capture the essence of research in an eye-catching photographic image?
Best photographic image – Research Staff category and Postgraduate Research category
First place for each of the two categories will be awarded £150
Second place for each of the two categories will be awarded £100
Best description of image – all images
First place will be awarded £100
Second place will be awarded £50
Online voting will be available here between 20 - 23 November 2023.
- All University of Plymouth current postgraduate research students including: ResM/MPhil/PhD/Professional Doctorates are eligible to enter.
- All University of Plymouth Research Staff are eligible to enter.
- You can enter as an individual or group.
- Each entry includes a photographic image and 150-word description, which will be printed and displayed together on poster boards. Descriptions will explain your image to a public audience.
- An entry can include a single image or a collage of images.
- Up to 3 entries can be submitted from each individual or group.
- Photographic images must be your own original work and not previously published.
- Your photographic images will show, represent or convey the essence of your research.
- Your photographic images and description of images will be reviewed by the Doctoral College to confirm suitability and entry into the competition.
- Photographic images and descriptions will be selected to appear on the University of Plymouth web pages and other University communications.
How to enter
- Your photographic image
- 150 words description
- Your name, and your School/Department
- Confirmation of whether you're submitting for the postgraduate student category or research staff category
- Confirmation of whether you're submitting as an individual or a group
Winners: Best PGR Photo – Lolita Singh, Best research staff photo – Madison Milne-Ives, Best description – Stephanie Hartgen-Walker
2021 brochure cover
Winners: Best PGR photo – Charlie Cornforth, Best research staff photo – Sally Rangecroft, Best description – Christopher Thorpe
Winners: Best PGR photo - João Alhada Lourenço, Best research staff photo - Dr Rupert Jones, Best description - Jonathan Rhodes
Competition winners: Best image - Frazer Underwood. Best description of image - Helen Bowstead.
Find out more about the Doctoral College and the support it offers students, supervisors and examiners of postgraduate research at the University of Plymouth.