You will only be fined if
you’re late returning an item requested by someone else.
Library stock is issued for 6 weeks unless another
borrower requests it, in which case it becomes a 7 day loan. If one of your
loans is requested, you will receive a recall email notification with the new
due date. Fines
are charged for overdue recalled items.
| Overdue book – not recalled
|| No fine. Account suspended until item renewed or returned.
| 6 weeks overdue – not recalled
|| If not renewed within 6 weeks of the due date, an item is deemed lost and you are charged the replacement cost.
| Overdue book – recalled
|| A fine of £2 per item per day to a maximum of £50 per item (if not returned within 7 days of recall or by due date if sooner).
| Overdue inter-library loan
|| £5.10 renewal fee per item.
| Lost item
|| Cost of item replacement from library suppliers.
If you have over £25 of charges on your account, you will be invoiced and your library account will remain suspended until the balance is brought below £25.
To avoid fines:
your emails and library account regularly and return or renew items on time. Remember
items can be recalled at any time. A recalled item cannot be renewed and must
be returned within 7 days or by the original due date, whichever is sooner.
following library notices are sent to your University registered email address:
- Library courtesy notice - 7 days before the due date
- Library due date reminder – on due date
- Library overdue items warning - 3 weeks overdue
- Library overdue items bill – 6 weeks overdue (item set to “Lost”)
- Receipt of library payment – when you make any payment at the Library
- Library loan update/recall – when you need to return an item requested by another
You can pay fines:
Once a lost item has been paid for
- at the information desk on level 1 of the library with a
debit or credit card or with your University card pre-loaded with money
- by phone +44 1752 588588 with a debit or credit card
- by cheque, made payable to 'Plymouth University', posted to
Library and Digital Support, The Charles Seale-Hayne Library, University of Plymouth,
Drake Circus, Plymouth, PL4 8AA
- for invoiced charges, follow directions at the bottom of the
invoice to pay by BACS.
(before or after invoice) we will not normally accept returned items or offer refunds, since we will have purchased a replacement copy. Please contact LibraryandITenquiries@plymouth.ac.uk
/Library Information Desk with any queries.
Get the books you need fast with request and recall.
We operate a request
and recall system so we can make popular items available to as many
customers as possible.
If an item you need is
on loan, don't wait for it to be returned – simply place a
Your request will
trigger a recall. Recalled items cannot be renewed by the current borrower and must be returned within 7 days of the
request being placed, or by the original due date, whichever is sooner. You
will receive an email once your requested item is available to collect. Reservations are held by the Information Desk on level 1.
All items are subject to recall at any time including vacations.
sure you return any books you don’t need and check your emails for recall
notices. Fines are charged for overdue recalled items.
Library support tailored to your needs.
Support services are available to enable access to library resources for University of Plymouth students:
- registered with Disability
- on a part-time course
- on a full-time course in part-time mode
- on placement of 6 weeks or more
- living permanently more than 25 miles
away from campus.
- postal loans
- book collection service
- copy/scan and email service
- assistive technology
equipment and software
- alternative formats.
For full details see our Library Guides:
placement and part-time students
support in the library