Dr Winnie Courtene-Jones
Researcher - eXXpedition Round the World 2019-2021
School of Biological and Marine Sciences (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
Research Fellow "eXXpedition Round the World Science Lead"
My research interest broadly focuses on understanding the long-term fate, prevalence and impacts of plastics and microplastics on aquatic ecosystems.My current position involves the development and implementation of a research program to study plastic/micropastics round the world.
I have given a number of invited talks and participate in education/outreach events. Furthermore, I have attended and spoken at UK and EU Parliament as a microplastics expert.
2019 PhD "Microplastics in the deep sea ecosystem" University of the Highlands and Islands/Scottish Association for Marine Science
2013 MRes (Distinction) Marine Biology, University of Plymouth
2011 BSc (1st class Hons.) Zoology and Animal Behaviour, University of Wales, Bangor
My research interest broadly focuses on the understanding the long-term fate, prevalence and impacts of plastics and microplastics on aquatic ecosystems
Key publications are highlightedJournals
- Courtene-Jones, W., Quinn, B., Gary, S.F., Narayanaswamy, B,E. (2019) Consistent microplastic ingestion by deep-sea invertebrates over the last four decades (1976 – 2015), a study from the North East Atlantic, Environmental Pollution 244: 503-512
Reports & invited lectures
- 2019, Invited speaker by Prof. Dame Carol Black, Principal of Newnham college to speak at Rosalind Franklin STEM conference, Newnham College, Cambridge University
- Microplastics in the deep-sea, invited lecture at Alfred-Wegener Institute, Germany
Other academic activities
- EuroNews, These 300 Brave Women are Sailing Across the World to Find a Solution to Plastic Pollution,9th October 2019
- Channel 5 News, video interview covering launch of eXXpedition round the World, broadcast 8th October 2019
- Plymouth Herald, "All-female crew set sail from Plymouth on pioneering plastic pollution voyage" interview, published 8th October 2019
- Radio Plymouth, "'Round the World' voyage investigating plastic pollution sets sail" audio interview broadcast 8th October 2019
- BBC Spotlight, video interview, broadcast 8th October 2019
- Sky News, Live broadcast discussing the Launch of eXXpedition Round the World, broadcast 8th October 2019
- Sky News, evening, video interview, full coverage of the launch of eXXpedition Round the World, 8th October 2019
- iNews, 'Why 300 women are giving up their day jobs to search the ocean for plastic', printed interview, published 26th September 2019
Dois anos, um veleiro, 300 mulheres: a volta ao mundo para estudar o plástico no mar, Azores Publico, published November 2019
- Interview with Cleveland, published November 2019
2019- Present, Member of the Working Group 'Orienting Young Scientists of EuroMarine'
2018 - 2019, Chair of the Working Group 'Orienting Young Scientists of EuroMarine'
2017, National Student of the Year, awarded by P1 Marine Foundation
2017, Johanna Fehling Memorial Prize for research Achievement, awarded by the Scottish Association for Marine Science