Dr Wang Miao
Lecturer in Computer Science
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
Wang Miao is a Lecture in Computer Science at the University of Plymouth. He received his PhD in Computer Science from the University of Exeter, in 2017, and M.Eng. and B.Eng degrees in Telecommunication Engineering from Xidian University, China, in 2009 and 2012, respectively. His research interests include performance modelling and intelligence resource optimisation of Mobile Edge Computing, Network Function Virtualization, Unmanned Aerial Networks and Wireless Communication Systems. He has published over 40 research papers in prestigious international journals (e.g., IEEE ToN, JSAC, TMC, ToB, TII, IoT-J) and at reputable international conferences (e.g., Globecom, ICC, WCNC). His research received two Best Paper awards from IEEE SmartCity and SOSE international conferences.
He served as the Technical Programme Chair of the international conferences of CSE-2023, CIT-2021 and IUCC-2020, and the Program Committee member of ScalCom-2021, BDCloud-2020, ScalCom-2020, etc. He is the Guest Editor of Mathematics Journal on the Special Issue of "Performance Modelling and Optimisation in Future Networks". He was appointed as the Knowledge-Sharing (KS) manager of two EU projects of FP7 QUICK and HORIZON-2020 INITIATE, which involves thirteen international partners from the UK, Norway, Spain, Netherlands, Portugal, Sweden, and China. As the project KS manager, he delivered two keynote speeches at the international workshops of IWCNT-2018 and NGDN-2020 to disseminate the project achievements.
Call for paper: Special Issue of "Performance Modelling and Optimisation in Future Networks" on MDPI Mathematics Journal (Deadline 1st Oct. 2023). Details of this special issue can be found: https://www.mdpi.com/journal/mathematics/special_issues/FMQJR277O0
- PhD in Computer Science, University of Exeter, UK (2017).
- M.S. in Telecommunication Engineering, Xidian University, China (2012).
- B.S. in Telecommunication Engineering, Xidian University, China (2009).
Roles on external bodies
Guest Editor of MDPI Mathematics Journal on the Special Issue of "Performance Modelling and Optimisation in Future Networks"
Supervising COMP3000 Final Year Computing Projects (2022/23).
Supervising PROJ518 MSc Projects (2022/23)
Supervising Industry Placement Projects (2022/23).
Module Leader of COMP2007 Game Development (2022/23).
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
- Mobile Edge Computing
- Software Defined Networking
- Network Function Virtualisation
- AI/ML-based Resource Optimisation
- Performance Modelling and Analysis
Grants & contracts
- EU-Horizon 2020, “Intelligent and Sustainable Aerial-Terrestrial IoT Networks” (INITIATE), 2021-2025. Co-I and Knowledge Sharing manager to lead the research work of investigating the AI-based UAV network architecture design and adaptive UAV deployment strategies.
- Industry project: “Research on Key Communication Technologies for UAVs to Transmit High Definition Video”, 2017-2018. Key researcher responsible for designing robust beamforming and lightweight video compression technologies to support high-accurate HD video transmission over 5G networks.
- H Huang, Z Li, J Tian, G Min, W Miao, DO Wu, "Accurate Prediction of Required Virtual Resources via Deep Reinforcement Learning", IEEE/ACM Transaction on Networking, 2022.
- W. Miao, G. Min, X. Zhang, Z. Zhao, and J. Hu, “Performance Modelling and Quantitative Analysis of Vehicle Edge Computing with Bursty Task Arrivals”, IEEE Transaction on Mobile Computing, DOI: 10.1109/TMC.2021.3087013, 2021.
- X. Zhang, Z. Qi, G. Min, W. Miao, and Q. Fan, “Cooperative Edge Caching Based on Temporal Convolutional Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 2021.
- H. Huang, C. Zeng, Y. Zhao, G. Min, Yingying Zhu, W. Miao and J. Hu, “Flexible Service Function Chain Orchestration in NFV-enabled Networks: A Federated Reinforcement Learning Approach”, IEEE Journal on Selected Aera in Communications, DOI: 10.1109/JSAC.2021.3087227, 2021.
- W. Miao, C. Luo, G. Min, Y. Mi and H. Wang, “Unlocking the Potential of 5G and Beyond Cellular Networks to Support Massive Access of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles”, IEEE Transaction on Network Science and Engineering, 2021.
- H. Huang, W. Miao. and G. Min, “Enabling Energy Trading in Cooperative Microgrids: A Scalable Blockchain-based Approach with Redundant Data Exchange”, IEEE Transaction on Industrial Informatics, 2021.
- J. Zhang, H. Huang, G. Min, W. Miao and D. Wu, “Social-Aware Routing in Mobile Opportunistic Networks”, IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 28, issue. 2, pp. 152-158, 2021.
- Z. Yu, J. Hu, G. Min, Z. Wang, W. Miao, and S. Li, “Privacy-Preserving Federated Deep Learning for Cooperative Hierarchical Caching in Fog Computing”, IEEE Internet of Things, DOI: 10.1109/JIOT.2021.3081480, 2021.
- W. Cheng, R. Wen, H. Huang, W. Miao and C. Wang, “Trajectory data publishing, personalized differential privacy, semantic similarity, privacy level”, Neurocomputing, 2021.
- H. Huang, G. Min, W. Miao, Y. Zhu and Y. Zhao, “TNDP: Tensor-based Network Distance Prediction with Confidence Intervals”, IEEE Transaction on Services Computing, DOI: 10.1109/TSC.2021.3089241, 2021
- W. Miao, C. Luo, G. Min, Y. Mi and Z. Yu, “Location-based Robust Beamforming Design for Cellular-enabled UAV Communications”, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 8, no. 12, 2020.
- W. Miao, C. Luo, G. Min, and Z. Zhao, “Lightweight 3D Beamforming Design in 5G UAV Broadcasting Communications”, IEEE Transaction on Broadcasting, vol. 66, issue. 2, pp. 515-524, 2020.
- H. Huang, W. Miao, G. Min, C. Huang, C. Wang and X. Zhang, “Resilient Range-Based d-Dimensional Localization for Mobile Sensor Networks”, IEEE/ACM Transaction on Networking, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 2037-2050, 2020.
- H. Huang, W. Miao and G. Min, “NFV and Blockchain-enabled 5G for URLLC in Industry Architecture and Performance Evaluation”, IEEE Transaction on Industrial Informatics, vol. 17, issue. 2, pp. 5595-5604, 2020.
- H. Wang, W. Yu, G. Min and W. Miao, “Graph Neural Network-based Digital Twin for Network Slicing Management”, IEEE Transaction on Industrial Informatics, 2020 (DOI: 10.1109/TII.2020.3047843).
- Z. Yu, J. Hu, G. Min, Z. Zhao, W. Miao and M. Hossain, “Mobility-Aware Proactive Edge Caching for Connected Vehicles using Federated Learning”, IEEE Transaction on Intelligent Transportation System, 2020 (DOI: 10.1109/TITS.2020.3017474).
- W. Miao, G. Min, Y. Wu, H. Huang, Z. Zhao and H. Wang, “Stochastic Performance Analysis of Network Function Virtualization in Future Internet”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 37, no.3, pp. 613-626, 2019.
- W. Miao, G. Min, Y. Wu, H. Wang J. Hu, “Performance Modelling and Analysis of Software-Defined Networking under Bursty Multimedia Traffic”, ACM Transaction on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications, vol. 12, no. 5s, 2016.
- J. Billingsley, K. Li, W. Miao, G. Min and N. Georgalas, “Parallel Algorithms for Multi-objective Virtual Network Function Placement Problem”, EMO-2021, Shenzhen, China.
- J. Billingsley, W. Miao, K. Li, G. Min, N. Georgalas, “Performance Analysis of SDN and NFV enabled Mobile Cloud Computing”, GLOBECOM-2020, Taiwan, China.
- R. Wen, W. Cheng, H. Huang, W. Miao, C. Wang, “Privacy-preserving Trajectory Data Publishing with Personalized Differential Privacy”, ISPN-2020, Exeter, UK.
- J. Billingsley, Ke Li, W. Miao, Geyong Min, Nektarios Georgalas, “Routing-Led Placement of VNFs in Arbitrary Networks”, CEC-2020, Glasgow, UK.
- W. Miao, C. Luo, G. Min, L. Wu, T. Zhao and Yang Mi, “Position-based Beamforming Design for UAV Communications in Cellular Networks”, ICC-2019, Shang Hai, China.
- J. Billingsley, K. Li, W. Miao, G. Min and N. Georgalas, “A Formal Model for Multi-objective Optimization of NFV Placement”, EMO-2019, Michigan, USA.
- H. Wang, J. Hu, G. Min W. Miao, and N. Geogralas, “Cost-Aware Optimization of Cache Allocation for Information-Centric Networking”, GLOBECOM-2017, pp. 1-6, Singapore.
- N. Najjari, G. Min, J. Hu and W. Miao, “Performance Analysis of WLANs under Bursty and Correlated Video Traffic”, ISPAN-FCST-ISCC-2017, pp. 250-256, Exeter, UK.
- H. Wang, G. Min, J. Hu and W. Miao, N. Georgalas, “Performance Evaluation of Information-Centric Networking for Multimedia Service”, SOSE-2016, pp. 146-151, Oxford, UK.
- W. Miao, G. Min, Y. Wu and H. Wang, “Performance Modelling of Preemption-based Packet Scheduling for Data Plan in Software-Defined Networking”, SmartCity-2015, pp. 60-65, Chengdu, China.
- H. Wang, G. Min, J. Hu, H. Yin and W. Miao, “Caching of Content-Centric Networking under Bursty Content Requests”, WCNC-2014, pp. 2522-2527, Istanbul, Turkey.
- W. Miao, G. Min, Y. Jiang, X. Jin and H. Wang, “QoS-aware Resource Allocation for LTE-A System with Carrier Aggregation”, WCNC-2014, pp. 1403-1408, Istanbul, Turkey.
- A Communication Method and Devices, WIPO patent, International Application NO. PCT/CN2019/109672, Publication Number: WO/2021/062752.
- Programme Chair: CIT-2021, IUCC-2020
- Program Committee Members: SocialCom-2021, ScalCom-2021, DSS-2020, BDCloud-2020, C4W-2020, ScalCom-2020.
- Workshop Chair: HPCC-2018, PerCom-2015.
- Local Arrangement Chair: MSN-2021, PerCom-2012.
Other academic activities
- Journal Reviewers: IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, IEEE Transactions on Cognitive Communications and Networking, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, IEEE Transaction on Networking Science and Engineering, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, IEEE Communication Letters, Journal of Communications, and Information Networks, Future Generation Computer Systems, and Computer Networks
- Conference Reviewers: VTC-2021, GLOBECOM-2020.