Dr Vikki Cheung
School of Biological and Marine Sciences (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
With a background in science (BSc Geology; MSc Applied Marine Science; PhD Genetic Ecotoxicology), Vikki has over 15 years’ experience in event and project management in both the private and academic sectors. Prior to her current role of Project Manager, which was held previously at Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Vikki fulfilled the role of Scientific Coordinator for the Secretariat of the Partnership for Observation of the Global Oceans (POGO), where she oversaw and coordinated numerous international research and capacity building programmes including the Nippon Foundation-POGO Centre of Excellence in Observational Oceanography, the POGO-SCOR Visiting Fellowship Programme, shipboard training cruises via the Ocean Training Partnership, and represented POGO on intergovernmental fora (such as the Group on Earth Observations). Many of these projects were in collaboration with scientists from all around the world including those within the regions of Latin America, the Caribbean, Africa, Indian Subcontinent and Southeast Asia.
Currently project managing the £6.7 million grant for the UK Research and Innovation's GCRF Blue Communities programme and providing project management support to Work Package 2 of the GCRF PISCES project, Vikki also previously managed other marine science research projects including those funded by the Nippon Foundation, the Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR), the European Space Agency (ESA) and the European Regional Development Fund via Interreg France-England Channel.
Earlier in her research career, over a period of 9 years, Vikki also conducted laboratory and field-based research at the University of Plymouth investigating the sub-lethal biological effects of contaminants (ecotoxicology) using biomarkers in marine invertebrates and delivered lectures and practical sessions to undergraduate and postgraduate students.
PhD Genetic Ecotoxicology
MSc Applied Marine Science
BSc Hons Geology
- LJ Dallas, VV Cheung, AS Fisher, AN Jha (2013). Relative sensitivity of two marine bivalves for detection of genotoxic and cytotoxic effects: a field assessment in the Tamar Estuary, South West England. Environmental monitoring and assessment 185 (4), 3397-3412
VV Cheung, A Jha, R Owen, MH Depledge, TS Galloway (2006). Development of the in vivo chromosome aberration assay in oyster (Crassostrea gigas) embryo–larvae for genotoxicity assessment. Marine environmental research 62, S278-S282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marenvres.2006.04.018VV Cheung, P Simpson, AW Knight, PA Cahill, AK Charles, MH Depledge, Richard Owen, Tamara S Galloway (2006). A comparison of prokaryotic, eukaryotic, cytogenetic and direct toxicity assays to evaluate the toxicity of industrial effluents. Marine Environmental Research, 62, S307-S308.
VV Cheung, IRB McFadzen, BP Lyons, MH Depledge, AN Jha (2002). Photo-enhanced toxicity of benzo (a) pyrene in the haemocytes of Mytilus edulis. Marine Environmental Research 54 (3), 591-600.
- Franck A Atienzar, Victoria V Cheung, Awadhesh N Jha, Michael H Depledge (2001). Fitness Parameters and DNA Effects Are Sensitive Indicators of Copper-Induced Toxicity in Daphnia magna. Toxicological sciences, 59,2,pp.241-250. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/59.2.241
- Awadhesh N Jha, Victoria V Cheung, Michael E Foulkes, Stephen J Hill, Michael H Depledge (2000). Detection of genotoxins in the marine environment: adoption and evaluation of an integrated approach using the embryo–larval stages of the marine mussel, Mytilus edulis. Mutation Research 464, 2, pp.213-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5718(99)00188-6
- Victoria V Cheung, Michael H Depledge, Awadhesh N Jha (2006). An evaluation of the relative sensitivity of two marine bivalve mollusc species using the Comet assay. Marine Environmental Research, 62, S301-S305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marenvres.2006.04.053
- VV Cheung, RJ Wedderburn, MH Depledge (1998). Molluscan lysosomal responses as a diagnostic tool for the detection of a pollution gradient in Tolo Harbour, Hong Kong. Marine Environmental Research 46 (1-5), pp.237-241. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-1136(97)00104-9
- J Wedderburn, V Cheung, S Bamber, M Bloxham, MH Depledge (1998). Biomarkers of biochemical and cellular stress in Carcinus maenas: an in situ field study. Marine Environmental Research 46 (1-5), 321-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-1136(98)00016-6
- Samy Djavidnia, Michael Ott, Sophie Seeyave, Victoria Cheung (2014). Oceans and Society: Blue Planet. Cambridge Scholars Publishing. ISBN: 1-4438-5639-8
- Seeyave, S., Sathyendranath, S., Platt, T. & Cheung, V. (2014). Towards sustained ocean observations in developing countries. In: Djavidnia, S., Cheung, V, Ott, M. & Seeyave, S. (eds). Oceans and Society: Blue Planet, pp. 156-162. ISBN 978-1443856393, Cambridge Scholars Publishing.