Dr Tom Heinzl
Associate Professor in Theoretical Physics
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
- Particle physics
- High power lasers
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire.
- 1988-1998 Diploma, PhD and Postdoc (Habilitation) at Regensburg University (Germany)
- 1998-2004 Senior Research Fellow at Friedrich-Schiller University, Jena (Germany)
- since 2004 Lecturer, then Senior Lecturer at UoP
- Programme Manager MSc Mathematics (2006-2008)
- Member of Maths and Stats Coordination Team (2014-22)
- Member of Maths and Stats Workload Allocation Team (2014-22)
- Exams Coordinator (since 2006)
- Diploma in Theoretical Physics (1988)
- PhD in Theoretical Physics (1992)
- Habilitation (DSc) in Theoretical Physics (1998)
- American Physical Society (APS): Outstanding Referee (2011)
- Physics Letters B: Most Valued Reviewer (2013)
- Editor-in-Chief Choice Award 2016 for article: Measuring vacuum polarization with high-power lasers, High Power Laser Science and Engineering 4, e5 (2016) (with Ben King).
- APS journals - editor's choice articles:
- Exact classical and quantum dynamics in background electromagnetic fields, Physical Review Letters 118, 113202 (2017) (with A. Ilderton).
- Mode truncations and scattering in strong fields, Physical Review D 98, 016002 (2018) (with A. Ilderton and D. Seipt)
German Physical Society
Roles on external bodies
- Member of User Forum, Central Laser Facility, STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL)
- Member of Vulcan 20 Petawatt Project (theory)
- Member of HIBEF user consortium (Helmholtz International Beamline for Extreme Fields)
- Member of planned LUXE experiment (DESY, Hamburg)
- Peer reviewer for many international Physics journals:
- Annalen der Physik
- Annals of Physics
- European Physical Journal C
- Europhysics Letters
- Few Body Systems
- High Power Laser Science and Engineering
- Journal of Physics A, B, G
- Journal of Plasma Physics
- Nature - Scientific Reports
- Nature Physics
- New Journal of Physics
- Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A
- Optics Letters
- Physical Review A, D, E, X
- Physical Review Letters
- Physica Scripta
- Physics Letters A, B
- Referee for Research Councils and Funding Bodies:
- Austrian Foundation for the Promotion of Science
- Czech Science Foundation
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- French National Research Agency (ANR)
- German Research Foundation (DFG)
- Humboldt Foundation, Germany
- Helmholtz Society, Germany
- National Research Foundation, South Africa
- The Royal Society, UK
- Theoretical Physics
- Applied Mathematics for mathematicians, engineers and scientists
- Statistical Methods
- Quantum Field Theory
- Strong-Field Quantum Electrodynamics
- Laser Particle Physics
- Relativistic Laser Matter Interactions
- Physics of Strong Interactions
- (Light Cone) Quantum Field Theory
- Gauge Theories
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
- 10 physics diploma students (co-supervision, Germany)
- 5 PhD students (co-supervision, Germany and France)
- 3 PhD students, UoP, 2010, 2013, 2019
Grants & contracts
- Marie Sklodowska-Curie grant (2016-18) for Dr Anton Ilderton (Awarded £ 131 k)
- Leverhulme grant (2019-22) with Dr Anton Ilderton (Awarded £ 122 k)
For an updated list of my publications please follow the link to Google Scholar. Alternatively, check INSPIRE, the high energy physics information system. Publications since 1992 may be downloaded via these sites.
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Reports & invited lectures
- 39th Schladming Winter School "Methods of Quantization", Lectures on "Light-Cone Quantisation: Foundations and Applications", Schladming, Styria, 2000. Published as Springer Lecture Notes, Vol. 572.
- Workshop on Lasers and Accelerators, STIAS, Stellenbosch, South Africa, January 2009, Lectures on "Strong-Field QED".
- 25th Chris Engelbrecht Summer School on "Nonlinear Phenomena in Quantum Field Theory", Stellenbosch, South Africa, January 2014, Lectures on Nonlinear QED.
- Central Laser Facility, Christmas Meeting 2021, Invited Tutorial Lecture on "QED and Lasers".
- Physics in Intense Fields (PIF22), Plymouth, UK, September 2022
- Physics in Intense Fields (PIF2013), DESY, Hamburg, July 2013.
- Workshop on Ultra-High Power Laser Nuclear and Particle Physics, Trento, Italy, June 2008.
- 4th Workshop on Gauge Fields and Strings, Jena, Germany, 2003.
- 3rd Workshop on Nonperturbative Aspects of Gauge Fields and Strings, Jena, Germany, 2001.
- Workshop on Nonperturbative Aspects of Gauge Fields and Strings, Jena, Germany, 2000.
- Workshop on Strongly Coupled Gauge Theories, Jena, Germany, 1998.
- 5th Meeting on Light-Front QCD and Nonperturbative Dynamics, Regensburg, Germany, 1995.