Dr Paul Filmore
Visiting Senior Research Fellow
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
- Engineering problem solving
- Engineering creativity
- Engineering entrepreneurship
Email email@example.com to enquire.
Visiting Senior Research Fellow
FRSA, MInstPhys, CPhys, FHEA
Roles on external bodies
- UoP Board of Governors (92-97)
- Trustee: Scientific and Medical Network Charitable Trust (1991-2015)
- Director (Chair): The Insight Centre Ltd.
- Chair of Board of Directors: Scientific and Medical Network (2015 - )
Innovation, creativity, systematic problem solving, TRIZ.
Problem solving and creativity are often considered to just happen. Recent research has given us a lot of information about how we can improve in these areas and use systematic techniques. This is important for everyday life as the world becomes more complex. An example is in the area of disruptive innovation, where a new product, change in service etc. can totally disrupt the market/ organisation. TRIZ is one approach which gives us a tool box of systematic problem solving techniques, which can be used to find win-win solutions, identify disruptive threats, change perceptions and mindsets etc. My recent research has been on how to introduce these ideas (particularly TRIZ) to organisations and individuals, through workshops and teaching.
Grants & contracts
PhD studentship 'Computer-Aided Innovation for ICT', GWR, Systematic Innovation Ltd. & University of Bath, September 2008- September 2011. Lead HEI: Dr P. Filmore, University of Plymouth.
1. Filmore, P. (2016) Setting Up an Innovation Lab in a Manufacturing Company, The 2016 International Conference on Systematic Innovation, Lisbon, Portugal, 20-22 July 2016.
2. Shahdad, A., Filmore, P. (2015) Applying TRIZ to Graphic Design using Genetic Algorithms, Procedia Engineering 131 ( 2015 ) 881 – 891, ScienceDirect, Elsevier.
3. Filmore, P. (2015) The Zen of Problem Solving: Or Why My Team’s Innovations Miss the Mark, The 2015 International Conference on Systematic Innovation, Hong Kong, 15-17 July 2015.
4. Filmore, P. (2014) Discontinuous Improvement: Continuing to Improve when Continuous Improvement Stalls, The 2014 International Conference on Systematic Innovation, San Jose, USA, 16-18 July 2014.
5. Shahdad, A., Filmore, P. (2013) Applying TRIZ to Graphic Design using Genetic Algorithms – an Update, Proceedings of UK TRIZ Symposium 5, 1/11/13, Clevedon, UK
6. Shahdad, A., Filmore, P. (2013) Applying TRIZ to Graphic Design using Genetic Algorithms, Proceedings of TFC2013, Paris 28-31st October 2013, ETRIA/ Elsevier.
7. Shahdad, A., Filmore, P. (2013) Applying TRIZ to Graphic Design using Genetic Algorithms, The Joint International Conference on Systematic Innovation & IFIP Computer-Aided Innovation, Hsinchu, Taiwan, 27-29th June 2013.
8. Filmore, P. (2013) Innovation in Project Management Training, Keynote, 2013 International Symposium (ISIEP2013) on Innovation Excellence and Practices, Institute of Systematic Innovation, Hong Kong, The Hong Kong Institute of Engineers - Manufacturing and Engineering Management Division, City University of Hong Kong, 25th June 2013.
9. Filmore, P. (2012) How TRIZ Maps Time, Mind and Space, Mapping Time, Mind and Space Conference, Scientific and Medical Network and Society for Scientific Exploration, 18 - 21 October 2012, An Grianán Adult Education College, Termonfechin, Drogheda, Ireland.
10. Filmore, P. (2012) Can TRIZ Improve Personal Effectiveness by Answering Life Questions? The 3rd International Conference on Systematic Innovation & Global TRIZCON, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea, 10-12 July 2012.
11. Filmore, P. (2012) Can the 40 Principles (and Other TRIZ Tools) Be Applied To Life? Proceedings of UK TRIZ Symposium 4, 15-16/5/11, Clevedon, UK, ISBN 978-1-906769-40-6.
12. Care, I., Filmore, P., Wall, T. (2012) How to Identify and Grow Good Innovators, Proceedings of UK TRIZ Symposium 4, 15-16/5/11, Clevedon, UK, ISBN 978-1-906769-40-6.
13. Filmore, P., Baudry, P. (2011) Developing Podcasts to Introduce TRIZ, The 2nd International Conference on Systematic Innovation, May 26-28, 2011, Shanghai, China.
14. Yang, H., Filmore, P. (2011) The Interface Between Industry and Universities, With Specific Focus on Problems that Exist at the Interface: A Review, The 2nd International Conference on Systematic Innovation, May 26-28, 2011, Shanghai, China.
15. Filmore, P., Baudry, P. (2011) Development of TRIZ Podcast, UK TRIZ Forum #3, Clevedon, Nr. Bristol, 12th May 2011, ISBN 978-1-906769-16-1.
16. Filmore, P., Mann, D., Shahdad, A. (2010) Computer-Aided (Systematic) Innovation – new tools and new ways of thinking, Proceedings of the Sixth TRIZ Symposium in Japan 2010, 9-11 September 2010, Kanagawa Institute of Technology, Atsugi, Kanagawa, Japan.
17. Filmore, P. & Crust, G. (2010) Breakthrough Innovation: Breaking the Habit of Incremental Improvement, Proceedings of UK TRIZ Symposium 2, 13/5/10, Clevedon, UK, ISBN 978-1-906769-23-9.
18. Filmore, P., Cole, A. (2010) The Online Learning Portal, SI:Online, poster, The 1st International Conference on Systematic Innovation, Hsinchu, Taiwan, 21-25th Jan 2010, The Society of Systematic Innovation, http://www.systematic-innovation.org/icsi2010.
19. Filmore, P. (2010) Why Lean and Six Sigma Thinking is Unlikely to Solely Help Beat the Recession, The 1st International Conference on Systematic Innovation, Hsinchu, Taiwan, 21-25th Jan 2010, The Society of Systematic Innovation, http://www.systematic-innovation.org/icsi2010.
20. Shadad, A., Filmore, P., Mann, D., Dekoninck, E. (2009) Automating the Innovation Process using Computer-Aided Innovation, Proceedings of the 2nd ISPIM Innovation Symposium: Stimulating Recovery – The Role of Innovation Management, Huizingh, Torkkeli, Conn, Bitran (Eds.), New York City USA, 6-9th Dec 2009, ISBN 978-952-214-864-3 (2009).
21. Mann, D., Shadad, A., Filmore, P., Dekoninck, E. (2009) From Computer-Aided Invention To Computer-Aided Innovation, Proceedings of TRIZCON2009, Conoga Park, California, USA, 16-18th March 2009.
22. Filmore, P., Crust, G. (2009) Myers-Briggs Type and TRIZ in Engineering Innovation, Proceedings of TRIZCON2009, Conoga Park, California, USA, 16-18th March 2009 and Proceedings of UK TRIZ Symposium 1, 14/5/09, Clevedon, UK, ISBN 978-1-906769-12-13.
23. Filmore, P. (2009) Innovation Breakthrough: why Six Sigma and Lean thinking may not get you there, but TRIZ will!, (Invited paper), Tire Technology International Expo 2009, Hamburg 17-19 March 2008.
24. Ayub, N., Filmore, P. (2008) Early Experiences Employing the Matrix Principles Modified for the Communications and Electronics Domain, Proceedings of TRIZ-Future Conference ‘08, University of Twente, The Netherlands, 5-7 November 2008.
25. Filmore, P. (2008) A Comparison of the Problem Solving and Creativity Potential of Engineers between using TRIZ and Lean/ Six Sigma, Proceedings of the Fourth TRIZ Symposium in Japan 2008, 10-12 September 2008, Laforet Biwako, Moriyama City, Shiga Prefecture, Japan.
26. Filmore, P. (2008) Developing Highly Effective Engineers: The Significance of TRIZ, Proceedings of TRIZCON2008, Kent State University, Ohio, USA, 13-15th April 2008.
27. Filmore, P. (2008) Breakthrough problem solving for engineers, Invited workshop, Tire Technology International Expo 2008, Cologne 19-22 February 2008.
28. Filmore, P. (2008) Key to Teaching TRIZ: Breaking Mindsets, The TRIZ Journal, February, http://www.triz-journal.com/archives/2008/02/05/#authors.
29. Mann, D. & Filmore, P. (2007) Tools for Systematic Innovation: The Road Ahead for the Lean Enterprise, Workshop: Product Development & Innovation, SIFU (www.sifu.se), 4-6 December 2007, Stockholm.
30. Filmore, P. (2007) Developing Highly Effective Engineers, Proceedings of the Third TRIZ Symposium in Japan 2007, Yokohama, 30/8/07-1/9/07.
31. Filmore, P. (2007) Teaching TRIZ as a systematic problem solving method: breaking mindsets, Proceedings of TRIZCON2007, Louisville, Kentucky USA, 23-25th April 2007.
32. Filmore, P. (2007) Why re-invent the wheel? Bringing innovation to the world of tires (Invited talk), Tire Technology International Expo 2007, Cologne 13-15March 2007.
33. Filmore, P. (2006) Why re-invent the wheel? Bringing innovation to the world of tires, Tire Technology International, Oct./Nov. 2006, pp 50-53. Also reprinted in The Tire Technology International Annual Review 2006 English and Chinese versions.
34. Filmore, P. (2006) The Real World: TRIZ in two hours for undergraduate and master’s level students!, Proceedings of TRIZCON2006, Milwaukee USA, 29/4/06-1/5/06, http://www.aitriz.org/ai/index.php?page=2006/trizcon2006&article=abstracts. Reprinted: The TRIZ Journal, Sept.2006, http://www.triz-journal.com/archives/2006/09/02.pdf. Also at: http://www.imeche.org.uk/manufacturing/triz.asp.
35. Filmore, P. & Thomond, P. (2005) Why Reinvent the Wheel? The Efficacy of Systematic Problem Solving Method TRIZ and its Value for Innovation in Engineering and its Implications for Engineering Management, Hong Kong Institute of Value Management, 7th International Conference, June 2005, http://www.hkivm.com.hk. Reprinted: The TRIZ Journal, August 2006, http://www.triz-journal.com/archives/2006/08/04.pdf. Also at: http://www.imeche.org.uk/manufacturing/triz.asp.
36. Filmore, P. (2004) Transferable Skills for Students, LTSN Workshop: Teaching Materials: Group Work and Project Learning, UK Centre for Materials Education, 17 March 2004, Department of Engineering Sciences, University of Southampton, Online at: http://www.materials.ac.uk/events/regionalsth.asp
37. Furnell, S.M. & Filmore, P.R. (eds.) (2004) Advances in Network and Communications Engineering, Proc. of MSc NSE & MSc CE&SP 2002 - 2003, University of Plymouth, UK, ISBN 1-84102-118-0.
38. Ricketts, C., Filmore, P., Lowry, R., & Wilks, S. (2003) How should we measure the costs (and benefits?) of computer aided assessment?, 7th CAA Conference: Learning & Teaching Development, Online at: https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/dspace-jspui/bitstream/2134/1924/1/ricketts03.pdf
39. Filmore, P. (2003) The Medicine Wheel with Electronic Engineering students, in Baillie, C. (Ed.) (2003) The Traveling Case: How to foster creative thinking in higher education, UK Centre for Materials Education, UK, ISBN 1-904190-45-6.
40. Filmore, P., (1998) “Promoting Readiness for Change in a Higher Education Academic (Engineering) Department”, MBA dissertation, Plymouth Business School, University of Plymouth.
41. Fuchs, F., Kocybik, P., Filmore, P. & Simpson, A., (1997) “Development of tests for use alongside engineering CAL”, Proc. Integrated Learning Technologies (ILT’97), University of Plymouth, 30/1/97, ISBN No. 0905227786.
42. Filmore, P., (1996) “Objective tests”, Ethos, University of Plymouth, 12, 3-4.
43. deWinter Hebron D., Bashore R., Burke D., Cowan B., Filmore P., et al, (1991) "Management/ Leadership Development", Final Report, 10th Int. Sem. on Staff and Ed. Dev., Skalsky Dvur, Czech. Published by Documentation and Info. Centre of the European Communities, Charles University, Prague, pp. 27-33.
44. Donnelly, T., Filmore, P., Kaler, J. & Thomas, B. (1991) "An interdisciplinary group-project module for an undergraduate course in Electrical Engineering", Int. J. Elect Engineering Educ., Vol. 28, pp 204-211.
45. Filmore, P., Author/Co-author of 11 published Ultrasonics Reports, Physics Dept., University of Surrey.
46. Chivers, R.C., Adach, J. & Filmore P.R. (1986) "Hydrophone Investigation of Ultrasonic Doppler probes", Meeting - Physics in Doppler Ultrasound, Leicester (H.P.A.) 28th April 1986.
47. Filmore, P.R., (1987) "Measurements on Miniature Ceramic Ultrasonic Hydrophones", Proc. Inst. of Acoustics, Portsmouth, April 1987.
48. Filmore, P.R., (1986) “On the Construction, Calibration and use of piezoelectric ceramic hydrophones”, PhD thesis, University of Surrey.
49. Filmore, P.R. & Chivers R.C., (1986) "Measurements on batch produced miniature ceramic ultrasonic hydrophones", Ultrasonics, 24, 216-229.
50. Chivers, R.C., Adach J. & Filmore P.R., (1986) "Ultrasonic Doppler probe assessment by scanned hydrophone", Clin, Phys. and Physiol. Med., 7, 161-178.
51. Filmore, P.R., Crockers, A.G. & Taylor, D.G., (1984) "Eddy Current Inspection of Cracks, Aircraft Structures", RAE contract A91a/1015, Dept of Physics, University of Surrey, Guildford, pp70.
52. Filmore, P.R., & Chivers, R.C., (1982) "Time Delay Spectrometry", Proc.Inst. of Acoustics meeting, Surrey University, April 1982.
53. Filmore, P.R., & Chivers, R.C., (1981) "Procedures for the control of miniature ceramic element production", J.Phys.E.Sci.Instrum., Vol.15, No.8, October 1981.
54. Bacon, R., & Filmore, P.R., (1981) "Ultrasonic Experimentation under Microprocessor Control", Microprocessor and Microsystems, Vol.5, No.8, October 1981.
55. Filmore, P.R., & Chivers, R.C. (1981) "A Flexible high precision microprocessor controlled ultrasonic test tank", Ultrasonics International, Poster Session, Brighton.
56. Filmore, P.R., Aindow, J.D., & Chivers, R.C. (1981) "On the directivity of miniature ultrasonic ceramic hydrophones", Proc. Ultrasonics International, Brighton 1981.
57. Filmore, P.R., & Chivers, R.C. (1980) "Hydrophone Calibration for real-time scanner field assessment", HPA/BES meeting on "The assessment of real-time scanners", St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London, 29/10/80.
58. Chivers, R.C., Filmore, P.R., Culhum, I.D., & Foster, (1980) "Spectroscopic Ultrasonic computer assisted tomography - a pilot study", J. Proc. IOA, Bedford, April 1980.
59. Chivers, R.C., Smith, A.D., & Filmore, P.R. (1981) "Broadband measurements on ultrasonic tank lining Materials", Ultrasonics, 19, 125-135, May 1981.
60. Chivers R. C., Bosselar, L., & Filmore, P.R., (1980) "Effective area to be used in diffraction corrections", J.Acoust. Soc.Am. Vol 68 No.1, May 1980.
Reports & invited lectures
‘Systematic Problem Solving (with reference to Quality monitoring and Lean methodologies) and introducing TRIZ’, Workshops given to students & staff, ESIEA, Paris & Laval, France, (5 years).
Filmore, P. (2008) Breakthrough problem solving for engineers, Invited workshop, Tire Technology International Expo 2008, Cologne 19-22 February 2008.
Breakthrough Thinking: The Efficacy of TRIZ, public talk to the IET, 23/10/08, UoP, http://www.theiet.org/local/uk/southwest/devon-cornwall/breakthrough.cfm
2012/13 A series of 12 workshops on ‘Systematic Problem Solving
(with reference to Quality monitoring and Lean methodologies)’ for managers/ team leaders in Plymouth Community Healthcare Trust.
Marketing & International Product Development workshops (7 years) for Euroman and Euromaster courses, for Munich university of Applied Sciences & PBS/ Plymouth Global.
Other academic activities
TRIZ Journal Editor, http://www.triz-journal.com/content/triz-journal_editorial_panel.asp