Associate Director of Undergraduate Dental Studies
Peninsula Dental School (Faculty of Health: Medicine, Dentistry and Human Sciences)
- Academic lead in the Basic Sciences, the Applied Diagnostic Sciences and Pathology (including Oral Pathology) as applied to Dentistry
- Module Lead - Integrated Dental Sciences
- BSc Hons (University of London. 1977)
- BDS (University of London. 1981)
- MA (University of London. 2004)
- MEd (University of Exeter. 2013)
- DPhil (University of Oxford. 1991)
- FDSRCSEng (Fellow in Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 1986)
- MFGDPRCSEng (Member of the Faculty of General Dental Practitioners of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 2016) (ad eundem)
- FHEA (Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. 2002)
- FAoME (Fellow of the Academy of Medical Educators. 2015)
- General Dental Council (GDC) - Full Registration no: 55636
- British Dental Association (BDA)
- British/International Associations for Oral and Dental Research (BSODR/IADR)
- British/International Associations for Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (BSOMP/IAOP)
- Association of Basic Science Teachers in Dentistry (ABSTD)
- Royal Society of Medicine (RSM)
- Royal Society for the encouragement of the Arts (RSA)
Roles on external bodies
- Examiner, Faculty of Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Surgeons of England: 1996-date
- External Examiner, University of Dundee: 2017-date
- External Examiner, University of Leeds: 2017-date
- Immediate Past President: Association of Basic Science Teachers in Dentistry: 2018-date
- Assistant Editor - Journal of Laryngology and Otology
- Basic Medical Science as applied to Dentistry with particular emphasis on Anatomy and Physiology
- Applied Clinical Science contextualised to the needs of primary care and secondary care Dentistry with special emphasis on General Pathology, Oral Medicine and Pathology and the biological mechanisms of human disease processes
- Contemporary approaches to student learning and assessment in the basic and applied medical sciences
- Research informed teaching
Historically, my research has been in the areas of Oral Pathology and Bone Biology at University College London and the University of Oxford. Following appointment to a teaching role at Peninsula Dental School at its inception 2007 to develop the basic and clinical sciences in the new BDS programme, I have sought to foster links with biomedical science colleagues in the University of Plymouth, to identify common interests and a shared research vision. This has lead to the establishment of several projects themed around interactions of bacterial products (e.g. Lipopolysaccharides) with oral tissues, and has contributed to the establishment of this area as a growing theme within Plymouth University Peninsula School of Medicine and Dentistry (PUPSMD). Although primarily in a teaching role I have lectured widely in the UK and overseas and have regularly presented at international meetings and conferences. Furthermore, since arriving in Plymouth I have co-supervised three successful PhD's.
From an educational perspective, I have been instrumental in introducing novel methods of assessment to the dental curriculum, notably progress testing, believed to be the first time this assessment strategy has been used as a summative tool in Dentistry.
My current research interests include...
1. Interactions between physical and biological factors in the oral environment and the oral tissues
2. Assessment of basic and applied science knowledge in contemporary problem based curricula
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
Selected Papers - A full list of publications together with details of published research abstracts, invited lectures and conference papers is available on request (last updated - 24th December 2017).
1. Belfield L.A., Bennett J.H., Abate W., Jackson S.K. (2017) Exposure to Porphyromonas gingivalis LPS during macrophage polarisation leads to diminished inflammatory cytokine production. Archives of Oral Biology. V81. pp 41-47. doi:10.1016/j.archoralbio.2017.04.021
2. Helley M.P., Abate A., , Bennett J.H., Thompson S.W.N. (2015) The expression of Toll-like receptors and co-receptors in neurochemical sub-populations of mammalian trigeminal & dorsal root ganglion sensory neurons. Neuroscience. 310, 686-698.
3. Ali K., Coombes L, Kay E.J.; Tredwin C., Jones G. Ricketts C., Bennett J.H. (2016) Progress Testing in Undergraduate Dental Education: The Peninsula Experience and Future Opportunities. European J. of Dental Education. V20(3). pp 129-134.
4. Bennett, J., Freeman, A., Coombes, L., Kay, L., & Ricketts, C. (2010). Adaptation of medical progress testing to a dental setting.. Med Teach, 32(6), 500-502. doi:10.3109/0142159X.2010.486057
5. Zolfaghari, P. S., Packer, S., Singer, M., Nair, S. P., Bennett, J., Street, C., Wilson, M. (2009). In vivo killing of Staphylococcus aureus using a light-activated antimicrobial agent.. BMC Microbiol, 9, 27. doi:10.1186/1471-2180-9-27
6. Kay, E., & Bennett, J. (2010). Evidence-informed dental student recruitment techniques. British Dental Journal, 208(3), 127-131.
7. Bennett, J. H., Bennett, E. R., Lowry, J., & Derry, J. (2005). Defining the educational needs of recent dental graduates preparing for the Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgery examination. Br Dent J, Suppl, 21-25. doi:10.1038/sj.bdj.4812788
8. Patrikidou A., Abou-Sleiman P., Bennett J., Delhanty J. D. A., Harris M. (2002) A novel, de novo germline TP53 mutation in a rare presentation of the Li-Fraumeni syndrome in the maxilloafcial area. Oral Oncology. V38. pp 383-390.
9. Bennett, J. H., Moffatt, S., & Horton, M. (2001). Cell adhesion molecules in human osteoblasts: structure and function.. Histol Histopathol, 16(2), 603-611. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11332716
10. Bennett, J. H., Carter, D. H., Alavi, A. L., Beresford, J. N., & Walsh, S. (2001). Patterns of integrin expression in a human mandibular explant model of osteoblast differentiation.. Arch Oral Biol, 46(3), 229-238. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11165569
11. Bennett, J. H., Thomas, G., Evans, A. W., & Speight, P. M. (2000). Osteosarcoma of the jaws: A 30-year retrospective review. Oral Surgery Oral Medicine Oral Pathology Oral Radiology and Endodontology, 90(3), 323-333. doi:10.1067/moe.2000.108274
12. Bennett, J. H., Morgan, M. J., Whawell, S. A., Atkin, P., Roblin, P., Furness, J., Speight, P. M. (2000). Metalloproteinase expression in normal and malignant oral keratinocytes: stimulation of MMP-2 and -9 by scatter factor.. Eur J Oral Sci, 108(4), 281-291. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10946762
13. Goodman, J. R., Gelbier, M. J., Bennett, J. H., & Winter, G. B. (1998). Dental problems associated with hypophosphataemic vitamin D resistant rickets.. Int J Paediatr Dent, 8(1), 19-28. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9558542
14. Ketabchi, A., MacRobert, A., Speight, P. M., & Bennett, J. H. (1998). Induction of apoptotic cell death by photodynamic therapy in human keratinocytes.. Arch Oral Biol, 43(2), 143-149. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9602293
15. Crean S. J., Bryant C., Bennett J. H., Harris M. (1996) Four cases of Polymorphous Low Grade Adenocarcinoma. International J. of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery - V25. pp 40-44.
16. Bennett, J. H., Shousha, S., Puddle, B., & Athanasou, N. A. (1995). Immunohistochemical identification of tumours of adipocytic differentiation using an antibody to aP2 protein.. J Clin Pathol, 48(10), 950-954. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8537497
17. Bennett, J. H., Hunt, P., & Thorogood, P. (1995). Bone morphogenetic protein-2 and -4 expression during murine orofacial development.. Arch Oral Biol, 40(9), 847-854. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8651889
18. Barrett, A. W., Bennett, J. H., & Speight, P. M. (1995). A clinicopathological and immunohistochemical analysis of primary oral mucosal melanoma.. Eur J Cancer B Oral Oncol, 31B(2), 100-105. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7633281
19. Beresford J.N, Bennett J. H., Devlin C., LeBoy P., Owen M. E. (1992) Evidence for an inverse relationship between the differentiation of adipocytic and osteogenic cells in rat marrow stromal cell cultures. J. Cell Science - V102. pp 341-351.
20. Bennett J. H., Joyner C. J., Triffitt J. T., Owen M. E. (1991) Marrow Adipocytes and Fibroblasts have Osteogenic Potential. J. of Cell Science - V99. pp 131-139. http://jcs.biologists.org/content/99/1/131.full.pdf