- Room 212, Cookworthy Building, Drake Circus, Plymouth, PL4 8AA
- +44 1752 585652
Dr John White
Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer)
Plymouth Business School (Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Business)
Dr John White can be contacted through arrangement with our Press Office, to speak to the media on these areas of expertise.
- Marketing communications
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire.
Associate Professor in Marketing
- PhD Corporate Strategy / Marketing
- BA (Hons) Marketing
- Diploma in Marketing Research
- Fellow of Chartered Institute of Marketing
- Member of American Marketing Association
- Certified Member of Market Research Society
- Member of Institute of Direct Marketing
- Member of D&AD (Design and Art Direction)
Roles on external bodies
Deputy Senior Examiner for the Chartered Institute of Marketing (2000 - 2010).
- Introduction to / fundamentals of marketing courses, contemporary issues in marketing, and marketing communications (incl. direct marketing and advertising).
- Recent professional / short course delivery has included a short course on Marketing for Libraries for the Chartered Institute of Librarians and Information Professionals (CILIP), as well as continued involvement in the delivery of the Chartered Institute of Marketing's Professional Diploma and Professional Postgraduate Diploma programmes.
Staff serving as external examiners
- External Examiner for Cass Business School - City University London (BSc Business Studies) 2008 - 2013
- External examiner for the University of Huddersfield (MSc Marketing and MSc Marketing Management) 2004 - 2008
Principal research interests consist of agri-food supply chains, and marketing activity in Eastern Europe. Brand building and management. Retro-branding. See below for recent publications.
Grants & contracts
- EU Framework 7 theme 2 (Food, Agriculture, Fisheries and Biotechnology) grant (2008-2011). Project title: FOCUS-BALKANS - Food consumer science in the Balkans: frameworks, protocols and networks for a better knowledge of food behaviours. Grant number: 212579. Grant value: 2.16 million euros.
- EU INTAS Research Grant (2005 - 2007): Supporting the International Development of the Commonwealth of Independent States Agricultural Sector , 98,480 Euros. INTAS2004-6928
- Food & Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (2005), Development of the European Agri-food Markets: Impact on Producers, Consumers and Perspectives, $5,000. EFT174706.
- World Bank Research Grant (2004): Vertical co-ordination in ECA agri-food chains as an engine of private sector development: Implications for Policy and Bank Bank Operations. $13, 500. EW-P084034-ESW-BB.
- EU INTAS Research grant (2000-2003): Supply Chain Management and Contractual Relationships in Transitional Food Industries, 60,000 Euros. INTAS99-00753.
Key publications are highlightedJournals
(2023) 'Consumers' willingness to pay for an animal welfare food label' Ecological Economics 209, , DOI
(2021) 'When deliberation is not possible: Moral dilemmas in fundraising' Journal of Philanthropy and Marketing , DOI Open access
(2020) 'Configuring perceived fit to mitigate consumer animosity in the context of cross-border sport sponsorships' European Sport Management Quarterly , DOI Open access
(2019) 'News You Can Use! Evaluating the Effectiveness of Newsjacking Based Content on Social Media' Information Technology and People , DOI Open access
(2016) 'Understanding fans' responses to the sponsor of a rival team' EUROPEAN SPORT MANAGEMENT QUARTERLY 16, (2) 190-213 , DOI Open access
(2016) 'Don't Distract Me When I'm Media Multitasking: Toward a Theory for Raising Advertising Recall and Recognition' JOURNAL OF ADVERTISING 45, (2) 198-210 , DOI Open access
(2015) 'Power, buyer trustworthiness and supplier performance: Evidence from the Armenian dairy sector' INDUSTRIAL MARKETING MANAGEMENT 50, 69-77 , DOI Open access
(2014) 'Supply chain relationships, supplier support programmes and stimulating investment: evidence from the Armenian dairy sector' Supply Chain Management: An International Journal 19, (1) 98-107 , DOI
(2013) 'Agricultural households, poverty and the rural labour market in Kosovo' Post-Communist Economies 25, (2) 241-252 , DOI
(2013) 'A qualitative approach to understanding brand image in an international context Insights from Croatia and Serbia' INTERNATIONAL MARKETING REVIEW 30, (4) 275-296 , DOI
(2013) 'A Qualitative Approach to Understanding Brand Image in an International Context: insights from Croatia and Serbia' International Marketing Review 30, (4) 275-296 , DOI
(2013) 'Understanding consumer responses to retailers' cause related voucher schemes: Evidence from the UK grocery sector' European Journal of Marketing 47, (11/12) 1931-1953 , DOI
(2012) 'The role of agribusiness in stimulating on-farm investments – case-study of the armenian dairy sector' Applied Studies in Agribusiness and Commerce 6, (1-2) 85-91 , DOI
(2012) 'Marketing, cooperatives and price heterogeneity: evidence from the CIS dairy sector' AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS 43, (2) 165-177 , DOI
(2012) 'Evaluating responses to celebrity endorsements using projective techniques' Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal 15, (1) 57-69 , DOI
(2009) 'Export strategies and performance in the CIS: case study evidence from the dairy sector' Post-Communist Economies 21, (4) 475-494 , DOI
(2007) 'Dairy farming and milk marketing relationships in the CIS' Eurasian Geography and Economics 48, (6) 733-747
(2007) 'The restructuring of agri-food supply chains in CEE and the CIS - Overview and policy implications' Outlook on Agriculture 36, (4) 237-246
(2006) 'Overcoming supply chain failure in the agri-food sector: A case study from Moldova' Food Policy 31 (1), 90-103 , DOI
(2006) 'Overcoming supply chain failure in the agri-food sector: A case study from Moldova' Food Policy 31, (1) 90-103
(2005) 'Applying the clinical inquiry approach to understand and facilitate enterprise restructuring in transition economies: a case study from the Moldovan wine industry' Systemic Practice and Action Research 18 (1), 35-52 , DOI
(2005) 'Applying the clinical inquiry approach to understand and facilitate enterprise restructuring in transitional economies: A case study from the Moldovan wine industry' Systemic Practice and Action Research 18, (1) 35-52
(2004) 'The evolution of post-Soviet labour processes: a case study of the hollowing out of paternalism in Moldova' International Journal of Human Resource Management 15, (7) 1249-1261
(2003) 'The reconfiguration of post-Soviet food industries: evidence from Ukraine and Moldova' Agribusiness 19 (4), 409-424 , DOI
(2003) 'The Politics of Agrarian Collapse: Decollectivization in Moldova' East European Politics & Societies 17 (2), 305-331 , DOI
(2002) 'The decline of Ukrainian agriculture' Southeast European and Black Sea Studies 2, (3) 147-163 , DOI
(1998) 'Introduction to special theme: Small and medium enterprise strategy - A small business necessity, not a large firm luxury' LONG RANGE PLANNING 31, (6) 813-814 , DOI
(1996) 'Facilitating High Technology Small Firm Co-operative Networks: Problems and Strategies' Small Business and Enterprise Development 3, (1) 34-47
(1996) 'FACILITATING CO‐OPERATIVE NETWORKS OF HIGH‐TECHNOLOGY SMALL FIRMS: PROBLEMS AND STRATEGIES' Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development 3, (1) 31-47 , DOI
(2013) 'Segmenting Consumers Using Cluster Analysis: An Application to Food Motivations in the Western Balkan Countries' Food Consumer Science Springer Netherlands 43-55 , DOI
(2007) 'Transformation and contracting in the supply chains of the former soviet union: Evidence from Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine' Global Supply Chains, Standards and the Poor: How the Globalization of Food Systems and Standards Affects Rural Development and Poverty 175-187
- FOCUS-BALKANS - Food Consumer Science in the Balkans http://www.focus-balkans.org
- INTAS Funded Research Project - Supporting the International Development of the CIS Agricultural Sector (SIDCISA) http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/matthew.gorton/cisproject.html
- INTAS funded research project - Agri-food Industry Restructuring in Ukraine and Moldova (AFIRUM) http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/matthew.gorton/afirum.html