Dr Graham Williamson
Associate Professor in Adult Nursing
School of Nursing and Midwifery (Faculty of Health)
Email email@example.com to enquire.
- Associate Professor, Adult Nursing.
- Site Lead for Exeter School of Nursing.
- Doctor of Philosophy. Developing Lecturer Practitioner roles in Nursing using Action Research University of Plymouth. Awarded February 2004.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Social Research. University of Plymouth. 1999-2001. P/T
- Post Graduate Diploma in Adult Education (Nurse Teacher). University of Plymouth. 1997-1998. P/T
- Master’s Degree in Public and Social Administration (MA). Brunel University. London. 1991-1994. P/T
- Registered General Nursing (RGN) St Mary’s Hospital School of Nursing, Paddington, London. 1986-1989
- BA (Hons) Social Science Degree. Grade 2/1.University of Westminster. London. 1982-1985
- Charge Nurse (F Grade), RD&E Hospital NHS Trust. 1993-1995
- Staff Nurse (E Grade), Emergency Medical Admissions Unit, RD&E Hospital NHS Trust. 1992-1993.
- Staff Nurse (D&E Grade), CCU, RD&E Hospital NHS Trust. 1990-1992
- Staff Nurse (D Grade), Joseph Toynbee Ward, St Mary’s Hospital, London. 1989-1990.
- Professional Registration with Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy (FHEA, Accredited for Membership June 2001)
Roles on external bodies
External academic work
- Editor in Chief, The Open Nursing Journal. Commenced June 2007. Associate Editor 2013-2019. Editor in Chief 2019- present
- International Scientific Advisory Panel member for the Royal College of Nursing annual international nursing research conference 2007-present.
- Academic Lead for RD&E Placement Development Team.
- Book Reviews Editor & Editorial Board Member, Journal of Advanced Nursing. 1 January 2003- 1 January 2008.
- Evidence informed decision making.
- Management and leadership.
- Accountable professional module.
- Substantive Professional Project.
- Postgrad supervision at master's and doctoral levels
Staff serving as external examiners
Previous External Examiner roles:
External PhD Examiner.
1). Christa Mueller-Froehlich. Manchester University, Faculty: Biology, Medicine and Health. Thesis Title: Transforming the culture and practices of nurses and physicians through interprofessional education (Supervisor, Dr Geraldine Lyte). Jan 2018.
Pre-registraion nursing programmes
- Thames Valley University, Module 4, CFP, Pre-registration diploma in nursing. September 2003 to September 2007.
- University of Hertfordshire Pre-registration diploma in nursing. September 2001 to September 2006.
- University of Surrey Postgraduate Nursing programmes. September 2007-July 2011.
- External Examiner. University of Cardiff Overseas Nursing External Examiner. BSc. Commencing September 2011-September 2015.
- Kingston University. BSc Nursing Programme. Commencing September 2011-September 2015.
- Bucks New University. PGDIP Nursing programme. September 2015-2018
- Worcester University School of Nursing Periodic Review panel member December 3 2015.
- Asthma and pregnancy.
- CLIP (Collaborative Learning in Practice)
- Supporting students in clinical practice.
- Nurse education research
- Research Gate link http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Graham-Williamson-2
Current doctoral supervision as Director of Studies
1). Claire Peers. Testing an intervention to develop resilience in student nurses, and embed a strategy in undergraduate curriculum. Began Oct 2019.
2). Anna Chick. An action research study to co-create success for transition from further education to undergraduate nurse education. Began Oct 2020.
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
1). Sherrie Hitchen: Personal Budgets for all? An Action Research Study on Implementing Self Directed Support in Mental Health Services. Successfully completed April 2013. (With Prof Mary Watkins).
2). Margaret Fisher: Engaging, enabling and embedding professionalism through scrutiny of practice in healthcare (by publications. With Prof Ruth Endacott). Dec 2020.
3). Toni Page. Nursing student-led intervention to improve digital health for patients with long-term health conditions (LTCs). With Professor Ray Jones, Dr Helen Lloyd. Feb 2021.
Grants & contracts
Personal grants - projects completed and published in 2018-2021:
- CLIP evaluation. Unfunded. Acute sector implementation, with Adele Kane et al.
- Collaborative Learning in Practice: A systematic review and narrative synthesis of the research evidence in nurse education. £5000. HEESW. With Adele Kane, Danny Clarke, Hayley Plowright.
- Could students' experiences of clinical placements be enhanced by implementing a Collaborative Learning in Practice (CLiP) model? (Community cluster). £10,000 HEESW. With Adele Kane, Val health, Jane Bunce.
- Preparation and communication for CLiP. Design, trial and evaluation of reusable learning objects. HEESW £30000. With Adele Kane.
- CLiP patient care and clinical outcomes service evaluation project. HEESW £20000. With Adele Kane.
Grants in preparation or awaiting decisions at March 2021.
Investigating the impact of Collaborative Learning in Practice in a regional General Practice Nursing placement project for student nurses. G Williamson with Adele Kane, Alison Williams, Katy Nash, Sharon Evans. + RA. Health Education England. £65,600. On hold due to COVID but not rejected.
Impact of E-EQUIP training for Professional Nurse Advocates on staff engagement in ICU. G Williamson with Ruth Endacott, Andrea Stebbings and Pam Rae. NHS England. £TBC. Awaiting tender info & confirmation.
Collaborative Learning in Practice: Student nurses' GP practice nursing placements evaluation project. G Williamson. With Adele Kane, Sharon Evans and SNAM staff member TBC. 6 month research internship just circulated to SNAM staff for expressions of interest.
Previous personal grants:
- Developing student nurse retention using action research. 2012-13 Pedagogic Research Institute & Observatory/Plymouth University Teaching Fellowship Scheme. £5,000. With Val Heath & Tracey Proctor-Childs.
- Developing student nurse retention using action research. Institute of Health and Community, Plymouth University. Pump priming scheme 2011-2012. £1000. With Val Heath & Tracey Proctor-Childs.
- Evaluating Lecturer Practitioner and Clinical Facilitator roles at the University of Plymouth. Research development funding. Devon and Cornwall Workforce Development Consortia. With Professor Christine Webb. 1999-2000. £14,250. Replacement salary costs
- Arterial blood gas sampling e-learning resource. Fellowship of University of Plymouth Centre of Excellence in Professional Placement Learning Innovations Fund bid. Sept 2006 £5000. With Sarah Dodds and Rob Stillwell.
- CEPPL Innovations Fund Bid: Non-invasive ventilation E-learning Resource. With Sarah Dodds, Rob Stillwell, Helen Daggar and Claire Hullett. June 2007. £5000
Grants as co-holder
- A pilot study investigating the feasibility of a care bundle on women’s experiences of asthma in pregnancy. With Chervonne Chamberlain and Anita O’Connor. Plymouth University Alumni Grants Scheme. £5000. Oct 2016
- A systematic review of the literature on women’s experiences of asthma care in pregnancy. With Kayleigh Elmslie-Jones and Anita O’Connor. Plymouth University School of Nursing and Midwifery Alumni Grants Scheme £5000. March 2016.
- Investigating women’s previous experiences of asthma care in pregnancy. With Chamberlian, Williamson, Knight and Daly. £5000 RD&E small grants programme. July 2011.
- Stakeholders online for smarter healthcare. April 2011. With Ray Jones et al. UoP CEPPL £30,000.
- Short KTP: User-led learning for mental health professionals. Pilot study Jones, Williamson and Emmens. sKTP. £25,000. sKTP 1000313. Jan 2010.
- Short KTP: To explore the impact of e-health support for patients at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital: pilot study for an RfPB application. Jones, Williamson, Chauhan, Sheaves. £25,000. March-Sept 2010. SKTP 1000260
- NHS Service Delivery and Organisation R&D Programme. Programme of research on e-health. Scoping exercise EH2:
- E-health policy context and consultation with stakeholders in the NHS. Reference WS20. With Professor Ray Jones et al. 2003-2004. £80,000
- HEFCE CETL. Placement Learning in Health and Social Care. With Dr Susan Lea et al. 2004 £4.5 million over 5 years.
- Royal Devon and Exeter Foundation NHS Trust Small grants programme: Investigating pregnant women’s experiences of asthma care With Sarah Dodds, Chervonne Chamberlain and Jacqueline Tipper. One year from Sept 2006. £2500.
- CEPPL placement learning developmental activity. CEPPL research support: Evaluating the Implementation of Placement Development Teams in the South West Peninsula. With Val Heath and Lynne Callaghan. Programme of evaluation to begin Sep 2007 for 2 years.
- CEPPL research support: Improving Student Support in Professional Placement Learning: Lessons from the South West Peninsula Pilot of a New National Placement Evaluation Process. With Heath, V, Ballantyne, E, Callaghan, L, Webster, D, Hunter, C. June 2007.
- CEPPL placement learning developmental activity. Supported by CEPPL buy-out. Evaluating the impact of placement development teams in induction and introduction to professional placement activity using action learning. July 2008-2009. With Val Heath, Josie White et al.
- Impact of e-health support for patients: pilot study.
- Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital: funded by RD&E and UoP, via a short KTP. Pilot for an RfPB application. £25,000. With Ray Jones et al.
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Other academic activities
- Placement Development Team Academic Lead. RD&E Foundation NHS Trust until 2019
- Chair, University of Plymouth Faculty of Health and Human Sciences student research ethics committee. Until Dec 2016
- University Senate member. 2016-2017
- Nursing Times National Awards 2006 Finalist as part of RD&E Respiratory Development Forum clinical team in the category Cancer Services, for nurse led clinics in cancer care.
PIHR Workforce Nurse Education https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/research/institutes/health/knowledge/future-workforce