Professor Eduardo Miranda
Professor in Computer Music
School of Society and Culture (Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Business)
- Artificial intelligence
- Music technology
- Music composition
- Computer music
- Neuroscience of music
- Brain-computer interfaces
- Quantum computing
- Unconventional computing
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire.
I am a composer and Professor in Computer Music. I have composed a number of symphonies and an opera and have had the privilege to share the stage with the BBC Concert Orchestra, BBC Singers, Jarvis Cocker, American beatboxer Butterscotch, and a few other great artists.
I am head of the Interdisciplinary Centre for Computer Music Research (ICCMR), which I created at the University of Plymouth in 2004.
Today ICCMR is internationally known for its pioneering research and for making a difference in the world.I am an experienced researcher and PhD supervisor (Director of Studies).
I have supervised 15 doctoral students to successful completion at the University of Plymouth within the last 10 years.
I have considerable experience with post-graduate external examinations, with 35 PhD theses examined worldwide within the last 10 years.
Should you wish to join ICCMR to study for a postgraduate degree under my supervision, please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss your interests.
- MSc Music Technology
- PhD Music
2021–present: Visiting Researcher, Cambridge Quantum Computing, Oxford, UK
2019 – Inter_agency Artist-in-Residence, Institute of Electronic Music and Acoustic, University of the Arts, Graz, Austria
2016 – Visiting Professor, Laboratoire Bordelais de Recherche en Informatique (LaBRI), University of Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France
2010 – Visiting Research Fellow, Staatliches Institut fur Musikforschung (National Institute for Music Research), Berlin, Germany
Winter Semester of 2006–2007 – Edgar Varèse Visiting Professor of Computer Music, Electronic Music Studios, Institute of Communications Research, Technische Universität Berlin (TUB), Berlin, Germany
1998–2003 – Research Scientist, SONY Computer Science Laboratory, Paris, France
2002–2003 – Adjunct Associate Professor of Computer Science, American University of Paris, Paris, France
Roles on external bodies
- Co-editor: Journal of Creative Music Systems, Huddersfield University Press. (http://jcms.org.uk/)
- Member of the Editorial Board: Organised Sound, Cambridge University Press.
- Member of the Editorial Board: Leonardo Music Journal, The MIT Press.
- Member of the Editorial Board: Contemporary Music Review, Routledge.
- Member of the Editorial Board: Leonardo Transactions, The MIT Press.
- Member of the Editorial Board: Journal of Sonic Studies.
- Member of the Editorial Board: International Journal of Unconventional Computing, Old City Publishing
- Member of the Reviewing Board: IEEE Multimedia.
- Member of the EditorialBoard: The Scientific World Journal.
- Member of the peer review college of the Austrian Science Foundation (FWF), Austria (appointed 2010–)
- Member of the peer review college of the Danish Council for Strategic Research, Denmark (appointed 2010–)
- Anonymous peer reviewing of numerous research grant proposals for Research Grants Council of Hong Kong, EPSRC, AHRC, The Wellcome Trust, Racomedi
- Member of the Review Panel for Alban Scholarships, European Union (2006–2009)
Unlocking the music of the mind
Eduardo is an unrivalled visionary who marries accomplished musical composition with advanced technological innovations to change lives
REF Impact Case Study
Making music with brain signals to improve the quality of life of severely motor-impaired individuals
OK computer: decoding the composer behind music generated from brain waves and outer space.
Discover how Eduardo's desire to bridge science and art inspires his pioneering research in computer music
Music is more than entertainment, it can transform lives
Eduardo discusses his pioneering work in music neurotechnology, improving the health and wellbeing for people with some of the most complex and debilitating illnesses
- Quantum computing and music
- Music composition with new technologies
- Electronic sound synthesisers
- Electroacoustic music composition
- Artificial Intelligence applied to musical creativity
- Evolutionary Computing / Artificial Life
- Brain-Computer Music Interfacing / Assistive Technology
Staff serving as external examiners
- External Examiner for BA Music Computing, Goldsmiths College (2011 – 2016)
- External Examiner for the MA/MSc in Music Technology, Dept of Music & Dept of Electronics, University of York (2007 – 2009)
- External Examiner for the BMus in Music with Computer Sound Design, Dept of Music and Sound Recording, University of Surrey (2007 – 2010)
- External Examiner for the BMus Honours (Tonmeister), Dept of Music and Sound Recordings, University of Surrey (2007 – 2010)
- External Examiner for the MSc Applied Artificial Intelligence, School of Engineering, Computer Science and Mathematics, University of Exeter (2006 –2010)
- External Examiner for the MSc Music Information Technology, City University (2006 – 2009)
- External examiners for 33 PhD awards to date at:
- University of Huddersfield (2017)
- University of Kent (2017)
- University College Cork (2016)
- University of Reading (2015)
- Sydney Conservatorium of Music (2014)
- University of Adelaide, Australia (2014)
- University of Edinburgh (2013)
- University of Oslo , Norway (2012)
- University of Surrey (2010)
- University of Essex (2010, 2014)
- University of York (2010)
- Queen's University Belfast (2010)
- Open University (2010, 2013, 2015)
- Birmingham Conservatoire (2009, 2011)
- University of the West of England (2008, 2021)
- University of East Anglia (2008)
- Edinburgh Napier University (2008)
- University College, London (2007, 2010)
- Goldsmiths College (2007)
- Queen Mary University of London (2007, 2010, 2011, 2015)
- Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden (2004)
- Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil (2002)
- University of Coruña, Spain (2001)
- Composition (including algorithmic and computer-aided)
- Electroacoustic Music Composition
- Sound Synthesis
- New Musical Interfaces
- Expressive Music Performance (by machines)
- Brain-Computer Music Interface
- Evolutionary Computer Music
- Music Neurotechnology
- Unconventional Computation (for music technology)
- Artificial Intelligence and Music
- Quantum Computing
1) Inventor: Eduardo Reck Miranda c/o Sony France S.A., “Morphological categories for voice synthesis”, Europe: EP 1 160 764 A1, Publication 05/12/2001; Japan: P2002-23775A, Publication 04/06/2001.
2) Inventor: Eduardo Reck Miranda c/o Sony France S.A., “Expressivity of Voice Synthesis”, Europe: EP 1 160 766 A1, Publication: 05/12/2001, USA: US 2002/0026315 A1, Publication 28/02/2002.
3) Inventor: Eduardo Reck Miranda c/o Sony France S.A., “Vocal sounds granular synthesis by means of cellular automaton”, Europe: EP 1 160 765 A1, Publication 05/12/2001; Japan: P2002-6873A, Publication 04/06/2001.
4) Inventor: Eduardo Reck Miranda c/o Sony France S.A., “Synthesis of Ultra-Linguistic Utterances”, USA: US 22002/0029145 A1, Publication 07/03/2002.
5) Inventor: Eduardo Reck Miranda c/o Sony France S.A., “Sound characterisation and/or identification based on prosodic listening”, Europe: EP 1 246 164 A1, Publication 02/10/2002; PCT International: WO 02/070744 A2, Publication 10/10/2002.
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
Successful PhD completions:
2019, University of Plymouth, Nuria B. Filella. PhD Thesis: Data Sonification in Creative Practice.
2017, University of Plymouth, Aurelien Antoine. PhD Thesis: An Investigation into using Artificial Intelligence to Aid Composition of Timbre using Orchestral Instruments.
2016, University of Plymouth, Edward Braund. PhD Thesis: Unconventional Computing and Music: An Investigation into Harnessing Physarum polycephalum.
2016, University of Plymouth, Joel Eaton. PhD Thesis: Brain-Computer Music Interfacing: Designing Practical Systems for Creative Applications.
2014, University of Plymouth, Hans Holger Rutz. PhD Thesis: Tracing the Compositional Process.
2013, University of Plymouth, Nikolas Valsamakis. PhD Thesis: Non-Standard Sound Synthesis with Dynamic Models.
2013, University of Plymouth, Christian Dimpker. PhD Thesis: Extended Notation: The Depiction of the Unconventional.
2012, University of Plymouth, Noris Mohd Norowi. PhD Thesis: AnArtificial Intelligence Approach to Concatenative Sound Synthesis.
2012, University of Plymouth, Daniel Livingstone. PhD Thesis: Design Strategies for Adaptive Social Composition: Collaborative SoundEnvironments.
2012, University of Plymouth, Joao Martins. PhD Thesis: Emergent Rhythmic Structures asCultural Phenomena Driven by Social Pressure in a Society of Artificial Agents.
2011, University of Plymouth, Alexis Kirke. PhD Thesis: Application of Intermediate Multi-Agent Systems to IntegratedAlgorithmic Composition and Expressive Performance of Music.
2010, University of Plymouth, Peter Beyls. PhD Thesis: Music as Emergent Complex Behaviour.
2010, University of Plymouth, Leandro Costalonga. PhD Thesis: Biomechanical Modelling of Musical Performance: A Case Study of theGuitar
2009, University of Plymouth, Marcelo Gimenes. PhD Thesis: An Approach to Machine Development of Musical Ontogeny.
2001, University of Glasgow, Alexander Duncan. PhD Thesis: EEG Pattern Classification for the Brain-Computer Musical Interface.
1999, University of Glasgow, Kenneth McAlpine. PhD Thesis: Application of Dynamical Systems to Music Composition.
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Reports & invited lectures
2021: Invited Speaker: QHack - Quantum Machine Learning, Toronto, Canada.
2020: Invited Speaker: Google Quantum AI, Santa Barbara, USA.
2019: Invited Speaker: Rigetti Computing, Berkeley, CA, USA.
2018: Invited Speaker: Beyond Festival – Future Design, ZKM | Center for Art and Media, Karlsruhe, Germany.
2017: Invited Lecture: Royal Institution of Great Britain, Patron Open Evening: The cognitive neuroscience of music, London, UK.
2017: Invited Speaker: London LASER 19: Interspecies Creativity, University of the Arts, London, UK.
2017: Invited Speaker: Mainly Mozart Festival, Mozart & the Mind, San Diego, USA.
2016: Invited Speaker: NeuroTechX, London, UK.
2016: Invited Speaker: EG Conference, Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA, USA.
2015: Invited Speaker: Mainly Mozart Festival, Mozart & the Mind, San Diego, USA.
2015. Invited Speaker: Technarte – International Festival on Art and Technology, Bizkaia Aretoa UPV-EHU, Bilbao, UK.
2014. Invited Speaker: Medicine Unboxed, Cheltenham, UK.
2012: Invited Speaker: Plymouth International Book Festival, Plymouth, UK.
2012: Invited Speaker: The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), Plymouth University, Plymouth, UK.
2006: Invited Speaker: Sonic Fusion Festival – North Edinburgh Arts Centre, Edinburgh, UK.
2009: Invited Speaker: Man Made, Dana Centre – Science Museum, London, UK.
2005: Invited Speaker: British Computer Society (BCS), Plymouth, UK.
2005: Invited Speaker: Plymouth City Museum & Art Gallery, Lunchtime Lectures, Plymouth, UK.
2003: Invited Speaker: British Embassy, The Hague, The Netherlands.
2003: Invited Speaker: Festival Música Viva, Coimbra, Portugal.
2001: Invited Speaker: Experimenta 2001: Thought as Design, Lisbon, Portugal.
2000: Invited Speaker: Festival Música Viva, Lisbon, Portugal.
Guest Lectures at Universities Worldwide
2019: Laboratorio di Informatica Musicale, Università degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy.
2019: University of Berkeley, Centre for New Music and Audio Technologies, Berkeley, CA, USA.
2019: University of Oxford, Department of Computer Science, Oxford, UK.
2019: University of Milan, Department of Materials Science, Milan, Italy.
2017: Tufts University, Department of Music, Medford, MA, USA.
2017: University of Regensburg, Institute of Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, Regensbug, Germany.
2016: Harvard University, Department of Music, Cambridge, MA, USA.
2016: MIT Media Lab, Cambridge, MA, USA.
2016: University of the Basque Country, Faculty of Fine Arts, Bilbao, Spain.
2016: Juan Crisóstomo de Arriaga Music Conservatoire, Bilbao, Spain.
2016: University of Bordeaux, LaBRI (Laboratoire Bordelais de Recherche en Informatique), Bordeaux, France.
2016: NOTAM (Norwegian Center for Technology in Music and Art), Oslo, Norway.
2015: IRCAM / Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris, France.
2013: Electronics Department, University of York, York, UK.
2012: Music Department, University of Aberdeen, UK.
2012: fourMs Lab & Departmant of Musicology, University of Oslo, Norway.
2009: Cybernetics, School of Systems Engineering, University of Reading, Reading, UK.
2009: Institute for Musical Research, Directions in Music Research Seminars, University of London, School of Advanced Study, London, UK.
2009: Music Department Research Forum, University of Bristol, UK.
2008: Music, Informatics and Cognition Seminars, University of Edinburgh, UK.
2007: Medical Physics & Bioengineering Department, Royal United Hospital, Bath, UK.
2007: Electronic Music Studio, Technical University of Berlin, Germany.
2007: Department of Computer Science, University of Essex, Colchester, UK.
2006: Department of Informatics, University of Western Britany, Brest, France.
2005: Department of Music, National University of Ireland, Maynooth (NUIM), Ireland.
2005: Institute of Informatics, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), Brazil.
2005: Department of Electronic Engineering, Queen Mary University of London, London, UK.
2005: Department of Computer Science, University of Exeter, Exeter, UK.
2004: School of Music, Napier University, Edinburgh, UK.
2004: Department of Innovative Design, Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, Sweden.
2004: Department of Music, Institute of Fine Arts, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), Porto Alegre, Brazil.
2003: Slade College of Arts, UCL, London, UK.
2003: School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK.
2002: Departamento de Computación, Universidad da Coruña, La Coruña, Spain.
2001: Departamento de Informática, UNISINOS, São Leopoldo, Brazil.
2001: Institut des Sciences Cognitives, CNRS – Université Claude Bernard, Lyon, France.
2001: Faculty of Music, University of Edinburgh, UK.
2000: Institute for Communication, University of Calabria, Cosenza, Italy.
2000: School of Music, University of Vienna, Austria.
1999: Kytano Symbiotic Systems Lab, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan.
1999: Department of Computer Systems and Engineering, University of Kobe, Kobe, Japan.
1999: L’Atelier Ina-GRM, Maison de la Radio France, Paris, France.
1998: Laboratoire d'Informatique de Paris 6, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France.
1998: Department of Artificial Intelligence, Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium.
1996: IEE South East Section, Edinburgh, UK.
- 1st International Symposium on Quantum Computing and Musical Creativity. Plymouth and Oxford, UK. (2021)
- 11th International Symposium on Computer Music Multidisciplinary Research: Music Mind and Embodiment. Plymouth, UK. (2015)
- 1st International Workshop on Brain-Computer Music Interfacing. Plymouth, UK. (2015)
- Symposiumon Music and Unconventional Computing, part of AISB Convention, University of Exeter, UK (2013). [co-organiser]
- NeuroArts Conference , Plymouth, UK (2011). [co-organiser]
- Brain-Computer Interfaces for Music , Plymouth, UK (2011).
- Music Technology in Education for the Young at Risk of Social Exclusion , Plymouth, UK (2010).
- PRISMA International Conference on Aesthetic Decisions in Computer-Aided Composition, Plymouth, UK (2010).
- Music, Science and the Brain , Plymouth, UK (2008). [co-organiser]
- Music-AL Workshop , Workshop of Music and Artificial Life part of European Conference on Artificial Life (ECAL), Lisbon, Portugal (2007).
- 6th European Conference onArtificial Life / 1st Workshop on Artificial Life Models for Musical Applications , Prague, Czech Republic (2001). [co-organiser]
- XV Annual Congress of the Brazilian Computer Science Society / II Brazilian Symposium on Computer Music , Canela, Brazil (1995).
- World Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education / Artificial Intelligence in Music Education Workshop , Edinburgh, UK (1993). [co-organiser]
Other academic activities
Performances of Compositions at Music Festivals Worldwide (a selection):
2018: Beyond Festival – Future Design, Karlsruhe, Germany.
2017: Mainly Mozart, Marriott La Jolla, San Diego, California, USA.
2016: Symmetry Festival, Concert Hall of the Collegium Hungaricum Vienna, Vienna. Austria.
2016: Sunset Center, Carmel-by-the-Sea, California, USA.
2016: Peninsula Arts Contemporary Music Festival, The House, Plymouth, UK.
2015: Mainly Mozart, Brendan Nguyen (piano), Atkinson Hall, La Jolla, San Diego, California, USA.
2015: Mainly Mozart, Hausmann Quartet, The Auditorium at TSRI, La jolla, San Diego, USA.
2015: Festsaal of TU Wien, Vienna, Austria.
2015: Peninsula Arts Contemporary Music Festival, The House, Plymouth, UK.
2015: Das Musikinstrumenten-Museum, Curt Sachs-Saal, Berlin, Germany.
2015: Music Tech Festival - London, LSO St Luke's, London, UK.
2014: Peninsula Arts Contemporary Music Festival, Plymouth, UK.
2013: La Friche la Belle de Mai, Orchestre de la Cité de la Musique de Marseille, Marseille, France.
2013: Difusão Sonora de Música Eletroacústica, Porto Alegre, Brazil.
2013: Peninsula Arts Contemporary Music Festival, Plymouth, UK.
2012: New Resonances Festival, Wilton's Music Hall, London, UK.
2012: Sond'Ar-te Electric Ensemble, Cascais Cultural Centre, Cascais, Portugal.
2012: Jornadas de Música Electroacustica, Montevidéo, Uruguay.
2012: Sound to Sea, St Andrew's Minster, Plymouth, UK.
2011: EarZoom Festival, Cankarjev Dom, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
2011: Música Eletroacústica, Sala dos Sons, Porto Alegre, Brazil.
2011: Electronica III, BBC Concert Orchestra, Queen Elizabeth Hall (South Bank Centre), London, UK.
2011: Electric Voice Theatre with Frances Lynch, Kettle's Yard, Cambridge, UK.
2011: Going North, Luciane Cardassi (piano), Peel Hall, University of Salford, UK.
2011: Peninsula Arts Contemporary Music Festival, Plymouth, UK.
2011: Going North, Luciane Cardassi (piano), Rolston recital Hall, Banff, Canada.
2010: Uma viagem musical do Brasil ao Canadá, Luciane Cardassi (piano), T-Son 61, Studio PANaroma. Teatro Maria de Lourdes Sekeff. Instituto de Arts da UNESP, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil.
2009: … onde serene…, Piano and electronics, Luciane Cardassi (piano), Banff Centre Rolston Recital Hall, Banff, Canada.
2009: Baghdad Lullabies, Illios Happening, Frances M Lynch (voice), Harstad, Norway.
2007: Ultraschall Festival, Deutchlandradio Kultur, Sophiensaele, Berlin, Gemany.
2007: Konzert Elektroakustischer Musik, Universtität Bremem Theatersaal, Germany.
2006: Sonic Fusion Festival, Edinburgh, UK.
2006: Jornadas de Música Electroacustica, Montevidéo, Uruguay.
2005: UNYASI Festival, South African Electro-Acoustic Music Festival, Johannesburg, South Africa.
2005: Encuentros / Encounters at DePaul, DePaul University, Chicago, USA.
2004: St Andrew’s Church, Ten Tors Orchestra, Plymouth, UK.
2004: Porto 60, Salão Mourisco, Catarina Domenici (Piano), Porto Alegre, Brazil.
2003: Festival Música Viva, Coimbra, Portugal.
2003: Ipem40!, Instituut voor Psychoacustica en Elektronische Muziek, Gent, Belgium.
2003: X Jornadas de Informatica y Electronica Musical, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, Madrid, Spain.
2003: Ciclo Internacional de Música Electroacustica, Santiago de Chile, Chile.
2003: Jornadas de Música Electroacustica, Montevidéo, Uruguay.
2002: International Computer Music Conference ICMC, Göteborg, Sweden.
2002: Multiplex 2002: Música, Tecnologia e Artes Visuais, Goethe Institut, Porto Alegre, Brazil.
2001: 3a. Galeria Sonora de Compositores Latinoamericanos, Denton TX, USA.
2001: Seoul International Computer Music Festival, Seoul, South Korea.
2001: Synthèse Festival, Bourges, France.
2000: Musique et Art Visuel, Notre Dame de Monts, France.
2000: Festival Música Viva, Lisbon, Portugal.
1999: Temporada de Conciertos 1999 del la Casa de las Americas, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba.
1999: Seoul International Computer Music Festival, Seoul, South Korea.
1999: Synthèse Festival, Bourges, France.
1998: Sala Hal, computer music series, Barcelona, Spain.
1998: Série Concertos do Século XX, Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
1998: Buenos Aires no dorme, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
1998: Festival Forfest Kromeriz, Kromeriz, Czech Republic.
1997: X Bienal de Música Brasileira, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
1996: Festival Elektronischer Frühling, Vienna, Austria.
1996: International Computer Music Conference ICMC, Hong Kong, China.
1995: OSPA (Porto Alegre Symphony Orchestra), Official Concert series, Porto Alegre, Brazil.
1995: XI Bienal de Música Brasileira Contemporânea, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
1995: Ciclo Acusmatico, Bogotá, Colombia.
1995: Synthèse Festival, Bourges, France.
Starring with Research on TV Documentaries, Radio and Podcasts (a selection):
20 Aug 2017, Sky Atlantic. Volvo Cars UK Series Defiant Pioneers. Chapter 5: Music of the Mind.
12 Feb 2016, BBC 1. Programme: Breakfast Show. Presenter: Tim Muffett.
04 May 2018, EBS TV South Korea. Programme: HUMANITY 4.0. Presenter: Dennis Hong.
18 Feb 2016, France 5. Programme: Le magazine de la santé. Presenter: Jean-Marie Leau.
22 Sep 2015, Fox 5 – San Diego, USA. Programme: Fox News. Presenter K. Bade
05 Jun 2015, EITB TV – Bilbao, Spain. Programme: EITB Kultura. Presenter: Jon Astorquiza.
26 Nov 2014, BBC World. Programme: BBC Click. Presenter: L JRich.
08 Feb 2014, BBC World. Programme: BBC Click. Presenter: L J Rich.
11 Dec 2017: BBC Radio 3. Programme: Music Matters. Presenter: Tom Service.
27 Feb 2017: BBC Radio 3. Programme: Music Matters. Presenter: Tom Service.
20 Feb 2016: NPR Washington. Programme: Weekend Edition. Presenter: Linda Wertheimer.
26 Feb 2015: BBC Radio 4. Programme: Inside Science. Presenter: Adam Rutherford.
27 Feb 2015: BBC World Service. Programme: BBC News. Presenter: Roland Pease.
20 Feb 2013: BBC Radio 3. Programme: In Tune. Presented: Sean Rafferty.
20 Dec 2012: BBC Radio. Programme: The World at One. Presenter: Neil Bowdler.
22 Sep 2012: BBC Radio 4. Programme: Today. Presenter: Justin Webb.
22 Jan 2012 BBC World Service. Programme: The Forum. Presenter: BBC diplomatic correspondent, Bridget Kendall.
23 Dec 2010, BBC Radio 3. Programme: A Mozart Mash-Up. Presenter: Patrick Bailey.
07 Dec 2004, BBC Radio 4. Programme: All in The Mind. Presenter: Raj Persaud.
27 Feb 2015: Geek Chic’s Weird Science. Programme: Episode 23 – Biomusic Special.