Mr David Chan
Honorary University Fellow
Peninsula Medical School (Faculty of Health)
David graduated from Cardiff University medical school with honours in 2007. He completed the majority of his basic and higher surgical training in Wales and the West Midlands and was awarded an MD following a period of research in oesophagogastric cancer. Further specialist oesophagogastric surgical training was undertaken in Seoul, Hong Kong and Oxford prior to being appointed as a Consultant in Derriford Hospital, Plymouth in November 2019.
MB BCh (Hons.) MD FRCS
Royal College of Surgeons of England
Association of Upper GI Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
British Obesity and Metabolic Surgical Society
Bariatric and metabolic surgery
1. MacCormick A, Jenkins P, Gafoor N, Chan D. Percutaneous transcystic removal of gallbladder and common bile duct stones: a narrative review. Acta Radiol 2021;Apr12 epub.
2. Sheath C, Abdelrahman M, MacCormick A, Chan D. Paediatric appendicitis during the COVID-19 pandemic. J Paediatr Child Health 2021;Feb 1 epub.
3. Chan DSY, MacCormick A, Rashid B, Ariyarathenam A, Humphreys L, Sanders G, Wheatley T, Berrisford R. Short-term outcomes after Ivor-Lewis oesophagectomy during the COVID-19 pandemic. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2021;103:134-137.
4. Powell AG, Wheat J, Patel N, Chan DSY, Foliaki A, Roberts SA, Lewis WG. Value of individual surgeon performance metrics as quality assurance measures in oesophagogastric cancer surgery. BJS Open 2020;4:91-100.
5. Barlow RC, Chan DSY, Mayor S, Perkins C, Lawton HL, Powell AG, Lewis WG. Fit for cancer treatment: a prospective feasibility study of primary care initiated prehabilitation for patients with suspected cancer. BJGP Open 2018;2(4)
6. Vercoe H, Mulla M, Lewis WG, Foliaki A, Chan DSY. Systematic review and meta-analysis on the treatment of diffuse esophageal spasm. Eur Surg 2019;51:239-245.
7. Patel N, Foley KG, Powell AG, Wheat JR, Chan D, Fielding P, Roberts SA, Lewis WG. Propensity score analysis of 18-FDG PET/CT enhanced staging in patients undergoing surgery for esophageal cancer. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2019;46:801-809.
8. Pandey G, Mulla M, Lewis WG, Foliaki A, Chan DSY. Systematic review and meta-analysis of Radiofrequency Ablation effectiveness in low-grade dysplastic Barrett’s Esophagus. Endoscopy 2018;50:953-960.
9. Brown J, Lewis WG, Foliaki A, Clark GWB, Blackshaw G, Chan DSY. Colonic Interposition after adult oesophagectomy: systematic review and meta-analysis of conduit choice and outcome. J Gastrointest Surg 2018;22:1104-1111.
10. Abdelrahman T, Latif A, Chan DSY, Farag M, Lewis WG, Havard T, Escofet X. Outcomes after laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery related to obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Surg 2018;51:76-82.
11. Anwar S, Somasekar K, Chan DSY, Sreekumar N. Choledocholithiasis after bariatric surgery – more than a stone’s throw to reach? J Gastrointest Surg 2018;22:529-537.
12. Powell A, Parkinson D, Patel N, Chan DSY, Christian A, Lewis WG. Prognostic significance of serum inflammatory markers in gastric cancer. J Gastrointest Surg 2018;22:595-605.
13. Blake PA, Karran AL, Chan DSY, White C, Lewis WG. Prognostic significance of deprivation in upper gastrointestinal cancer. Gastrointest Cancer Res Thera 2017;2:1018.
14. Chan DSY, Foliaki A, Lewis WG, Clark GWB, Blackshaw G. Systematic review and meta-analysis of surgical treatment of non-Zenker’s oesophageal diverticula. J Gastrointest Surg 2017;21:1067-75.
15. Karran A, Wheat J, Chan D, Blake P, Barlow R, Lewis WG. Propensity score analysis of an enhanced recovery programme in upper gastrointestinal cancer surgery. World J Surg 2016;40:1645-1654.
16. Chan DSY, Delicata RJ. Systematic review and meta-analysis of antegrade continence enema in adults with faecal incontinence and constipation. Br J Surg 2016;103:322-327.
17. Chan DSY, Baker AL. Minimally invasive oesophagectomy in Wales. Surgeon 2016;14:196-201.
18. Beamish AJ, Chan DSY, Blake PA, Karran A, Lewis WG. Systematic review and meta-analysis of enhanced recovery programmes in gastric cancer surgery. Int J Surg 2015;19:46-54.
19. Chan DSY, Jain P, Khalifa A, Hughes R, Baker AL. Laparoscopic common bile duct exploration. Br J Surg 2014;101:1448-1452.
20. Foley KG, Fielding P, Lewis WG, Karran A, Chan D, Blake P, Roberts SA. Prognostic significance of novel 18-FDG PET/CT defined tumour variables in patients with oesophageal cancer. Eur J Radiol 2014;83:1069-73.
21. Foley KG, Fielding P, Lewis WG, Karran A, Chan D, Blake P, Roberts SA. N-staging for oesophageal carcinoma: is there still a role for EUS in patients staged N0 on PET/CT? Clin Rad 2014;69:959-64.
22. Karran A, Blake P, Chan D, Reid TD, Davies IL, Kelly M, Roberts SA, Crosby T, Lewis WG. Propensity score analysis of oesophageal cancer treatment with surgery or definitive chemoradiotherapy. Br J Surg 2014;101:502-10.
23. Chan DSY, Okosieme OE. Recent trends in thyroid surgery in Wales. Surgeon 2014;12:195-200.
24. Chan DSY, Reid TD, White C, Willicombe A, Blackshaw G, Clark GW, Havard T, Escofet X, Crosby TD, Roberts SA, Lewis WG. Influence of a regional centralised upper gastrointestinal cancer service model on patient safety, quality of care and survival. Clin Oncol 2013;25:719-25.
25. Chan DSY, Shah PR, Soanes M, Saklani AP. Current trends and controversies in the management of patients with splenic flexure tumours. J Canc Res Therapy 2013;1:8-10.
26. Chan DSY, Reid TD, Howell I, Lewis WG. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the influence of circumferential margin involvement on outcomes in patients with operable oesophageal cancer. Br J Surg 2013;100:456-64.
27. Chan DSY, Fielding P, Roberts SA, Reid TD, Ellis-Owen R, Lewis WG. Prognostic significance of 18-FDG PET/CT and EUS defined tumour characteristics in patients with oesophageal cancer. Clin Rad 2013;68:352-357.
28. Reid TD, Chan DSY, Roberts SA, Crosby TDL, Williams GT, Lewis WG. Prognostic significance of circumferential resection margin involvement following oesophagectomy for cancer and the predictive role of endoluminal ultrasonography. Br J Canc 2012;107:1925-31.
29. Chan DSY, Willicombe A, Reid TD, Beaton C, Arnold D, Ward J, Davies IL, Lewis WG. Relative quality of internet derived gastrointestinal cancer information. J Canc Edu 2012;27:676-9.
30. Chan DSY, Twine CP, Lewis WG. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the influence of HER2 expression and amplification in operable oesophageal cancer. J Gastrointest Surg 2012;16:1821-1829.
31. Chan DSY, Campbell F, Edwards P, Jasani B, Williams GT, Lewis WG. Relative prognostic value of Human Epidermal Growth Factor 2 (HER2) receptor expression in operable oesophagogastric cancer. ISRN Surgery 2012;2012:804891.
32. Davies IL, Mason J, Roberts SA, Chan D, Reid TD, Robinson M, Gwynne S, Crosby TD, Lewis WG. Prognostic significance of total length of disease in esophageal cancer. Surg Endosc 2012;26:2810-2816.
33. Chan DSY, Saklani AP, Shah PR, Lewis M, Haray PN. Rectal irrigation: a useful tool in the armamentarium of functional bowel disorders. Colorectal Dis 2012;14:748-752.
34. Reid TD, Sanyalou L, Chan D, Williams GT, Lewis WG. Relative prognostic value of TNM7 vs. TNM6 in staging oesophageal cancer. Br J Cancer 2011;105:842-846.
35. Naughton J, Morley E, Chan D, Fong Y, Bosanquet D, Lewis M. Carotid body tumours: a review. Br J Hosp Med 2011;72:559-564.
36. Chan DSY, Johnson RC, Shering SG. Management of breast cancer in older women: factors which influence patients’ decision. The Open Breast Cancer Journal 2010;2:42-45.
37. Okosieme OE, Chan D, Price SA, Lazarus JH, Premawardhana LD. The utility of radioiodine uptake and thyroid scintigraphy in the diagnosis and management of hyperthyroidism. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2010;72:122-7.
38. Twine CP, Roberts SA, Lewis WG, Dave BV, Rawlinson CE, Chan D, Robinson M, Crosby TD. Prognostic significance of endoluminal ultrasound-defined disease length and tumor volume (EDTV) for patients with the diagnosis of esophageal cancer. Surg Endosc 2010;24:870-878.
39. Twine CP, Lewis WG, Morgan MA, Chan D, Clark GWB, Havard T, Crosby TD, Roberts SA, Williams GT. The assessment of prognosis of surgically resected oesophageal cancer is dependent on the number of lymph nodes examined pathologically. Histopathology 2009;55:46-52.
40. Morgan MA, Lewis WG, Chan DSY, Burrows S, Stephens MR, Roberts SA, Havard TJ, Clark GW, Crosby TD. Influence of socio-economic deprivation on outcomes for patients diagnosed with oesophageal cancer. Scand J Gastro 2007;42:1230-7.
41. Ather S, Chan DS, Harding KG. Biology of wound healing. Eur J Hosp Pharm 2007;13:53-54.
42. Chan DSY, Saklani A, Shah PR, Haray PN. Laparoscopic drainage of retroperitoneal abscess secondary to pyogenic sacroiliitis. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2010;92:32-34.
43. Ather S, Chan DSY, Leaper DJ, Harding KG. Case report and literature review of Leishmaniasis as a cause of leg ulceration in the United Kingdom. J Wound Care 2006;15:389-391.
44. Ather S, Chan DSY, Leaper DJ, Harding KG. Surgical treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa: case series and review of the literature. Int Wound J 2006;3:159-169.
45. Beamish AJ, Chan DSY. Emergency Laparotomy: time to assess risk, but not according to time. Br J Anaesth 2013;110:140.
46. Chan D. Publish or perish. Ann R Coll Surg Engl (Suppl) 2012;94:358.
47. Chan DSY, Saklani A. Circumferential resection margin as a prognostic factor in rectal cancer (Br J Surg 2009; 96: 1348-1357). Br J Surg 2010;97:299.
48. Chan D. Cutting the real dead wood. BMJ 2009;338(Suppl 7707):8.
49. Chan D. Staff policy undermines care. BMJ 2009;338(Suppl 7705):12.
50. Chai A, Chan DSY, Malik S. Inadequate education. Br Dent J 2007;202:509.
51. Chan DSY, Chan ASZ. Whither the recognition? studentBMJ 2006;14;438.
52. Chan DSY. A grandson’s perspective. studentBMJ 2006;14:263.