Mr David Chan
Honorary University Fellow
Peninsula Medical School (Faculty of Health)
David graduated from Cardiff University medical school with honours in 2007. He completed the majority of his basic and higher surgical training in Wales and the West Midlands and was awarded an MD following a period of research in oesophagogastric cancer. Further specialist oesophagogastric surgical training was undertaken in Seoul, Hong Kong and Oxford prior to being appointed as a Consultant in Derriford Hospital, Plymouth in November 2019.
MB BCh (Hons.) MD FRCS
Royal College of Surgeons of England
Association of Upper GI Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
British Obesity and Metabolic Surgical Society
Bariatric and metabolic surgery
1. MacCormick A, Jenkins P, Gafoor N, Chan D. Percutaneous transcystic removal of gallbladder and common bile duct stones: a narrative review. Acta Radiol 2021;Apr12 epub.
2. Sheath C, Abdelrahman M, MacCormick A, Chan D. Paediatric appendicitis during the COVID-19 pandemic. J Paediatr Child Health 2021;Feb 1 epub.
3. Chan DSY, MacCormick A, Rashid B, Ariyarathenam A, Humphreys L, Sanders G, Wheatley T, Berrisford R. Short-term outcomes after Ivor-Lewis oesophagectomy during the COVID-19 pandemic. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2021;103:134-137.
4. Powell AG, Wheat J, Patel N, Chan DSY, Foliaki A, Roberts SA, Lewis WG. Value of individual surgeon performance metrics as quality assurance measures in oesophagogastric cancer surgery. BJS Open 2020;4:91-100.
5. Barlow RC, Chan DSY, Mayor S, Perkins C, Lawton HL, Powell AG, Lewis WG. Fit for cancer treatment: a prospective feasibility study of primary care initiated prehabilitation for patients with suspected cancer. BJGP Open 2018;2(4)
6. Vercoe H, Mulla M, Lewis WG, Foliaki A, Chan DSY. Systematic review and meta-analysis on the treatment of diffuse esophageal spasm. Eur Surg 2019;51:239-245.
7. Patel N, Foley KG, Powell AG, Wheat JR, Chan D, Fielding P, Roberts SA, Lewis WG. Propensity score analysis of 18-FDG PET/CT enhanced staging in patients undergoing surgery for esophageal cancer. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2019;46:801-809.
8. Pandey G, Mulla M, Lewis WG, Foliaki A, Chan DSY. Systematic review and meta-analysis of Radiofrequency Ablation effectiveness in low-grade dysplastic Barrett’s Esophagus. Endoscopy 2018;50:953-960.
9. Brown J, Lewis WG, Foliaki A, Clark GWB, Blackshaw G, Chan DSY. Colonic Interposition after adult oesophagectomy: systematic review and meta-analysis of conduit choice and outcome. J Gastrointest Surg 2018;22:1104-1111.
10. Abdelrahman T, Latif A, Chan DSY, Farag M, Lewis WG, Havard T, Escofet X. Outcomes after laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery related to obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Surg 2018;51:76-82.
11. Anwar S, Somasekar K, Chan DSY, Sreekumar N. Choledocholithiasis after bariatric surgery – more than a stone’s throw to reach? J Gastrointest Surg 2018;22:529-537.
12. Powell A, Parkinson D, Patel N, Chan DSY, Christian A, Lewis WG. Prognostic significance of serum inflammatory markers in gastric cancer. J Gastrointest Surg 2018;22:595-605.
13. Blake PA, Karran AL, Chan DSY, White C, Lewis WG. Prognostic significance of deprivation in upper gastrointestinal cancer. Gastrointest Cancer Res Thera 2017;2:1018.
14. Chan DSY, Foliaki A, Lewis WG, Clark GWB, Blackshaw G. Systematic review and meta-analysis of surgical treatment of non-Zenker’s oesophageal diverticula. J Gastrointest Surg 2017;21:1067-75.
15. Karran A, Wheat J, Chan D, Blake P, Barlow R, Lewis WG. Propensity score analysis of an enhanced recovery programme in upper gastrointestinal cancer surgery. World J Surg 2016;40:1645-1654.
16. Chan DSY, Delicata RJ. Systematic review and meta-analysis of antegrade continence enema in adults with faecal incontinence and constipation. Br J Surg 2016;103:322-327.
17. Chan DSY, Baker AL. Minimally invasive oesophagectomy in Wales. Surgeon 2016;14:196-201.
18. Beamish AJ, Chan DSY, Blake PA, Karran A, Lewis WG. Systematic review and meta-analysis of enhanced recovery programmes in gastric cancer surgery. Int J Surg 2015;19:46-54.
19. Chan DSY, Jain P, Khalifa A, Hughes R, Baker AL. Laparoscopic common bile duct exploration. Br J Surg 2014;101:1448-1452.
20. Foley KG, Fielding P, Lewis WG, Karran A, Chan D, Blake P, Roberts SA. Prognostic significance of novel 18-FDG PET/CT defined tumour variables in patients with oesophageal cancer. Eur J Radiol 2014;83:1069-73.
21. Karran A, Blake P, Chan D, Reid TD, Davies IL, Kelly M, Roberts SA, Crosby T, Lewis WG. Propensity score analysis of oesophageal cancer treatment with surgery or definitive chemoradiotherapy. Br J Surg 2014;101:502-10.
22. Chan DSY, Okosieme OE. Recent trends in thyroid surgery in Wales. Surgeon 2014;12:195-200.
23. Chan DSY, Reid TD, White C, Willicombe A, Blackshaw G, Clark GW, Havard T, Escofet X, Crosby TD, Roberts SA, Lewis WG. Influence of a regional centralised upper gastrointestinal cancer service model on patient safety, quality of care and survival. Clin Oncol 2013;25:719-25.
24. Chan DSY, Shah PR, Soanes M, Saklani AP. Current trends and controversies in the management of patients with splenic flexure tumours. J Canc Res Therapy 2013;1:8-10.
25. Chan DSY, Reid TD, Howell I, Lewis WG. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the influence of circumferential margin involvement on outcomes in patients with operable oesophageal cancer. Br J Surg 2013;100:456-64.
26. Chan DSY, Fielding P, Roberts SA, Reid TD, Ellis-Owen R, Lewis WG. Prognostic significance of 18-FDG PET/CT and EUS defined tumour characteristics in patients with oesophageal cancer. Clin Rad 2013;68:352-357.
27. Reid TD, Chan DSY, Roberts SA, Crosby TDL, Williams GT, Lewis WG. Prognostic significance of circumferential resection margin involvement following oesophagectomy for cancer and the predictive role of endoluminal ultrasonography. Br J Canc 2012;107:1925-31.
28. Chan DSY, Willicombe A, Reid TD, Beaton C, Arnold D, Ward J, Davies IL, Lewis WG. Relative quality of internet derived gastrointestinal cancer information. J Canc Edu 2012;27:676-9.
29. Chan DSY, Twine CP, Lewis WG. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the influence of HER2 expression and amplification in operable oesophageal cancer. J Gastrointest Surg 2012;16:1821-1829.