- Room 209, 2 Kirkby Place, Drake Circus, Plymouth, PL4 8AA
- +44 1752 586340
Dr B. King
Associate Professor of Theoretical Physics
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
Associate Professor of Theoretical Physics
- Doktor der Naturwissenschaften (Dr. rer. nat.)
- Universität Heidelberg (2010)
- Master in Science: Physics with Theoretical Physics
- Imperial College London (2006)
Roles on external bodies
- Member of the Collaboration board of the LUXE experiment
- Member of the Steering board of the LUXE experiment
- Head of the theory working group of the LUXE experiment
MATH3606 - Classical and Quantum Mechanics (Module Leader) (2014-2023)
This module introduces advanced classical mechanics and the key ideas of quantum mechanics to students with a mathematics background. An overarching theme will be the key role of symmetry, both for classical motion and quantum behaviour.
Vector calculus is extended to higher dimensions and applied to a range of important scientific problems primarily from classical mechanics and cosmology. Differential and integral calculus is applied to the solution of differential equations and the orthogonal functions bases are constructed. The crucial mathematical concepts of integral transforms (Fourier and Laplace) and Fourier series are introduced.
MATH257 - Computer Aided Mathematics (Module Leader) (2014-2018)
Students will be taught advanced mathematical techniques and their application using the MATLAB computer software package to solve engineering mathematics problems. The module will also introduce the students to the theoretical fundamentals of finite element analysis.
Staff serving as external examiners
- 24/11/2022, External Examiner, Jonathan Jacob Beesley, Imperial College London
"Ultra-Relativistic Thermal Production of Electrons and Positrons"
- 10/12/2021, External Examiner, Christian Flohr Nielsen, Aarhus University, Denmark
"Elementary Particles and their Interaction with Strong Electromagnetic Fields"
- 07/05/2020, External Examiner, Ramy Aboushelbaya, University of Oxford
"Orbital Angular Momentum in High-Intensity Laser Interactions"
- 20/04/2019, Examiner, Benjamin Wettervik, Chalmers University of Technology
"Modelling of laser plasma interaction with applications to particle acceleration
and radiation generation"
- 19/09/2016, Zweitgutachter, Patrick Boehl, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
"Vacuum Harmonic Generation in Slowly Varying
- Phenomenology of nonlinear QED in strong fields
- Approximation frameworks for nonlinear QED effects
- Numerical calculation of nonlinear QED spectra
- New physics in intense electromagnetic fields
2016 PI: Royal Society International Exchange Scheme 2015/R £2,000
I am a member of the Centre for Mathematical Sciences
A list of my published research can be found at the following pages:
Google Scholar Citations
Reports & invited lectures
06/11/2020 "High Intensity QED and LUXE", Classical and Quantum Physics in Extreme Light Fields, international seminar dedicated to Nikolay Narozhny’s 80th birthday, Moscow (online)
20/04/2017 "Vacuum birefringence in high-energy laser-electron collisions", LNPC '17, Yokohama, Japan
21/12/2016 "Vacuum birefringence in high-energy laser-electron collisions", UK High Power Laser Christmas Meeting, Abingdon, UK
16/11/2016 "Strong-Field QED in High-Power Lasers", Helmholtz Institute, Jena, Germany
13/07/2016 "Beyond Volkov: Solving the Second-Order Klein-Gordon Equation", LPHYS' 16, Yerevan, Armenia
30/05/2016 "Strong laser particle physics", CARDC (Chinese Aerodynamic Research and Development Center), Mianyang, China
16/12/2015 "Shock wave and high harmonic generationin the vacuum plasma", UK High Power Laser Christmas Meeting, Abingdon, UK
25/11/2015 "Laser-based strong-field QED (under construction)", Plasma Seminar, Imperial College London, UK
14/09/2015 "High intensity lasers & strong-field QED", Oxcheds seminar, AWE, UK
24/08/2015 "Vacuum high-harmonic generation in the shock regime and photon-photon scattering dynamics", LPHYS' 15, Shanghai, China
17/08/2015 "High intensity lasers & strong-field QED", CAEP, Mianyang, China
22/07/2015 "Vacuum high harmonic generation in the shock regime", EXHILP 15, Heidelberg, Germany
08/05/2015 "What's so anomalous about anomalous x-ray pulsars?", Plymouth Astronomical Society, Plymouth
27/04/2015 "Strong-field QED & high intensity lasers", Atomic and Laser Physics Seminar, University of Oxford, UK
22/04/2015 "Vacuum high harmonic generation in the shock regime", Theoretical Physics Seminar, Plymouth University, UK
15/04/2015 "Vacuum high harmonic generation in the shock regime", Chalmers, Gothenburg, Sweden
2020 LUXE Theory Workshop (online)