Dr Alma Rahat
Lecturer in Computer Science
School of Computing, Electronics and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
I have a BEng (Hons.) in Electronic Engineering from the University of Southampton and a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Exeter. I worked as a product development engineer after my bachelor's degree, and held post-doctoral research positions at the University of Exeter. I joined University of Plymouth in September 2018.
I am a member of the following professional organizations.
- Institution of Engineering and Technology (MIET)
- Special Interest Group on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (SIGEVO) in the Association of Computing Machinery (ACM).
My current research focus is in the broad areas of fast hybrid optimisation methods, real-world problems and machine learning. In particular, I am developing efficient methods inspired from surrogate-assisted (Bayesian) optimisation for optimising computationally or financially expensive problems (for example, computational fluid dynamics design problems).
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Other academic activities
I am a reviewer for the following journals.
- Transactions on Wireless Communications.
- Transactions on Evolutionary Computation.
- Transactions on Mobile Computing.
- Wireless Networks.
- Evolutionary Computation Journal.
I was on the program committee the following conferences.
- Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO: 2016, 2017, 2018)
- Intelligent Systems Design and Applications (ISDA, 2016)
- IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence (SSCI, 2017)