Student houses in a  Plymouth street
For private accommodation (not halls of residence), landlords may require international students to provide a guarantor as a condition of the housing contract. The guarantor – a third-party individual or organisation – guarantees to pay the landlord any rent which the student fails to pay and the cost of any damage for which the student is responsible. Landlords generally insist that a guarantor is UK-based.
Landlords for privately-rented shared houses do not usually insist on you naming a guarantor. Landlords of large-scale purpose-built housing developments in the private sector are more likely to ask you to provide a guarantor. If you cannot provide one, they will probably ask you to pay all of the rent up front for the full contract before you move in. 
The University of Plymouth values its community of international students and we recognise the unique pressures of moving to the UK to study with us. An important part of our support to international students is that we help make your transition to Plymouth a smooth one, allowing you to focus on enjoying life in the beautiful South West.
Thanks to feedback and ideas from our students and the University of Plymouth Students’ Union, we’ve decided to partner with Your Guarantor. Your Guarantor acts as a guarantor for students when renting in the private sector, helping international students secure private accommodation and overcome the hurdle having to pay their full rent up-front.
What does the Your Guarantor scheme cover?
The scheme is open to both home and overseas students (EU and non-EU), undergraduates and postgraduates. Your Guarantor is only able to cover rent arrears and is only applicable to assured shorthold tenancies up to 12 months at a time, guaranteeing up to a maximum of £1,500 per person per calendar month. 
How much does it cost?
Your Guarantor will charge a percentage of the value of your tenancy/lease (or your share of the lease if you are in shared accommodation). The fee is from 3.5% for overseas (EU and non-EU) students.
How to apply
You can apply from outside of the UK as well as within the UK. Before you apply, please make sure you understand all your responsibilities as part of signing up to the scheme. Register yourself and enter the details of the proposed rental property. 
How does it work?
  • The scheme is be administered by Your Guarantor.
  • Apply online at
  • A draft of our application will be sent to your accommodation provider.
  • Applications will be subject to approval by Your Guarantor and your accommodation provider.
  • Confirmation of acceptance will be emailed to you.
  • A certificate of the guarantee will be available online once you have paid the fee.
For further information: ask Your Guarantor a question
Other guarantor services:
There are several alternative options available if you would like to explore these:
More information on guarantors can also be found on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website: Looking for housing.