DBS assessments and other requirements

It is important to note all offers of a place to study with us are made subject to receipt of satisfactory screening in terms of your health, welfare and police checks, prior to the start of your course.

If you do not pass these checks satisfactorily you will not be able to complete a course with us.

If your checks are not completed before the first day of the course you may be able to start, however, if you fail to pass either of these checks satisfactorily your place will be withdrawn.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) enhanced disclosure

Enhanced disclosures will be made on all students when they hold the conditional firm status. You will be sent details of how to complete the check online as part of your offer, with details of how to do so at this point. This process must be completed, even if a check has recently been completed for another organisation. All information is treated in the utmost confidence.

Our courses require students to work in positions requiring public trust. In order to ensure public protection and safety, all applicants will be asked to declare any convictions or cautions against them, and to declare any pending prosecutions. This can be done on the UCAS application form.

A disclosure which contains details of an offence does not automatically preclude study on one of our courses. The faculty operates a Professional Issues Committee which will consider each case individually and confidentially. In all instances the committee is assessing whether the disclosure would prevent an applicant from going on placement or obtaining employment on graduation.

Occupational health clearance (Fit2teach)

Applicants are required to undergo a health assessment prior to the start of the course. This is to ensure that you are physically and mentally suited to a career in education. If you have any concerns about your medical suitability, you are advised to discuss this with your GP.

The questionnaire will be sent out by email; this questionnaire forms the basis of the health screening so it is vital that all questions are answered as fully and honestly as possible.

Information for students who have previously resided outside the UK as an adult (i.e. from age 18 or over)

If you have previously resided outside the UK (from age 18 or over) it is your responsibility to obtain a relevant 'certificate of good character' (or similar) from the country concerned. For information about applying for such certificates please consult the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) website.

The University cannot apply for these certificates on your behalf or pay for the costs involved. This process can take some time and you are strongly advised to apply at the earliest opportunity.

Students who have previously resided abroad will be unable to start student placements without this certificate.