The CobBauge project is part of the European Union to reduce carbon emissions of the FCE area by 2020 by 20% (2012/27 / EU). The energy consumed for the building sector currently represents 40% of the total energy produced (UE2010), 60% of which is used by occupants to heat buildings.

The cob houses are commonly found in the Channel Regions of France and Great Britain. So the objective of the CobBauge project is to create new techniques and methods for the preservation of buildings.

The INTERREG VA France (Channel) – co-funded by the ERDF and involves 6 French and British partners.

Duration of the project : 07/2017 – 06/2023

Total budget : € 4,097,365.07

ERDF co-financing : € 2,827,181.91 (69%)

What is Cob and why are we researching it?

Even in today's concrete world, about a third of the global population lives in buildings made from earth. The question for the future is how to make this ancient technique scalable, energy efficient, and easily replicable.

The CobBauge project, which is testing out cob (a mix between earth, fibre and water) as the main building material, is a proof of concept for a much more sustainable construction method.

University of Plymouth staff

Project partners