Formally launched in October 2018 and led by Professor Rohit Shankar, The Cornwall Intellectual Disability Equitable Research (CIDER), is a partnership between the University of Plymouth and Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (CFT) focusing on people with intellectual disabilities.
Evidence of impact
- The SUDEP checklist has been adopted clinically throughout the UK.
- The SUDEP checklist has been adopted internationally including in Australia.
- EpsMon has been downloaded by over 3000 people with epilepsy for self-management of their epilepsy.
- The Ep-ID register has collected data on 800 people with epilepsy throughout the UK.
- There is evidence that the Ep-ID register has changed prescribing in epilepsy in people with ID- anti epileptics are more slowly increased in dosage.
- Professor Shankar is now a member of the NICE Expert Panel on epilepsy and the National Confidential Inquiry.
- NHS Rightcare toolkit (PDF)
- Oversaw the development of the national guidance for basic epilepsy training via ESNA, ILAE British chapter and RCPsych ID faculty.
- Professor Shankar shortlisted for the Royal College of Psychiatrist’s Academic Researcher of the Year Award (2022).
- BMJ awards – Mental health category (2020), Education (2019), innovation (2017 – highly commended), Neurology (2016).
- Dr Shankar was awarded an MBE for services to people with Developmental Disabilities in Cornwall in 2018.
- Epileptic Disorders ILAE Educational Prize for best paper (2018).
- ILEA (International League Against Epilepsy) Research Paper of the Year 2017.
- Health Business Awards (2016), National Innovation Accelerator (NIA) Fellowships (2017), HSJ Patient Safety Awards – Education and Training in Patient Safety (2016) HSJ Patient Safety Awards – Patient Safety in Mental Health (2016), Epilepsy Foundation USA – SUDEP Challenge (2016), NIHR commercial principal investigators Award (2016).
Professor Rohit Shankar MBE FRCPsych
Professor of Neuropsychiatry at University of Plymouth and Consultant Psychiatrist in Neurodevelopment at CFT – Director of CIDER
Dr Richard Laugharne FRCPsych
Consultant Psychiatrist at CFT – Director of Mental Health Research in Cornwall and Deputy Director of CIDER
CIDER Lead and Assistant Research Manager, Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Research & Innovation Team Honorary University Fellow - University of Plymouth, Peninsula Medical School (Faculty of Health)
Dr David Branford PhD
Specialist pharmacist in intellectual disabilities
Paula McGowan OBE
Multi-award-winning activist campaigning for equality of health and social care for people with an intellectual disability and/or autism, early years educator specialising in children who have additional needs, ambassador, speaker and author
Professor Gyles Glover FRCPsych FFPH
Public Health Specialist
Dr Brendan Mclean FRCP
Honorary Associate Professor, Plymouth University Medical School and Honorary Consultant Neurologist, The Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust
Dr Charlotte Annesley MRCP
Intellectual disability physician
Dr Kirsten Lamb MRCGP
Chair RCGP – ID special interest group
Mrs Helen Toker-Lester MBA
Social care and commissioning
Research Manager Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Research & Innovation Team
Dr Jon Allard
Senior Clinical Studies Officer | Academic Lead, Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Research & Innovation Team Honorary University Fellow - University of Plymouth, Peninsula Medical School (Faculty of Health)
Clinical Studies Officer/Occupational Therapist Cornwall Partnership NHS Trust Research & Innovation Team
Research Nurse & Staff Governor, Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Research & Innovation Team
Clinical Studies Officer, Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Research and Innovation Team
Medical Administrative Facilitator, Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Honorary Fellow, University of Plymouth, Peninsula Medical School (Faculty of Health)
University of Plymouth collaborators
External collaborators – academic:
- University of Exeter Medical School: Professor Jonathan Mill and Professor William Henley
- Falmouth University: Mr Brian Clark
- UCL Institute of Neurology: Professor Matthew Walker and Professor Ley Sander
- University of Birmingham – Professor John Terry
- University of Sheffield – Professor Dan Goodley
- University of Cardiff – Professor Ian Jones and Dr Lance Watkins
National Institute of Health Research (NIHR)
- Southwest Peninsula Clinical Research Network (CRN)
- Southwest Peninsula Academic Health Science Network (AHSN)
- Peninsula Applied Research Collaboration (PenARC)
Life Science Industry:
- Eisai Co. Ltd
- UCB Inc.
- Bial Pharmaceutical Co
- Liva Nova
- UN EEG medical
- GW pharma
Charities and clinical networks:
- SUDEP Action
- Epilepsy Action
- Learning Disability Professional Senate
- Faculty of the Psychiatry of Intellectual Disability
- Royal Society of Medicine
- Neuronostics Ltd
- Psychoanalytica Community interest Company (CiC)
Research and innovation – Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Our research team deliver clinical research throughout Cornwall. Research is a vital component of NHS care to determine the best treatments and services for improving the nation's mental and physical wellbeing.
Our Trust is a research-active NHS trust, meaning that research and adding to the evidence base for healthcare form a key element of our services.