Formally launched in October 2018 and led by Professor Rohit Shankar, The Cornwall Intellectual Disability Equitable Research (CIDER), is a partnership between the University of Plymouth and Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (CFT) focusing on people with intellectual disabilities.
Evidence of impact
- The SUDEP checklist has been adopted clinically throughout the UK.
- The SUDEP checklist has been adopted internationally including in Australia.
- EpsMon has been downloaded by over 3000 people with epilepsy for self-management of their epilepsy.
- The Ep-ID register has collected data on 800 people with epilepsy throughout the UK.
- There is evidence that the Ep-ID register has changed prescribing in epilepsy in people with ID- anti epileptics are more slowly increased in dosage.
- Professor Shankar is now a member of the NICE Expert Panel on epilepsy and the National Confidential Inquiry.
- NHS Rightcare toolkit (PDF)
- Oversaw the development of the national guidance for basic epilepsy training via ESNA, ILAE British chapter and RCPsych ID faculty.
- BMJ awards – Mental health category (2020), Education (2019), innovation (2017 – highly commended), Neurology (2016).
- Dr Shankar was awarded an MBE for services to people with Developmental Disabilities in Cornwall in 2018.
- Epileptic Disorders ILAE Educational Prize for best paper (2018).
- ILEA (International League Against Epilepsy) Research Paper of the Year 2017.
- Health Business Awards (2016), National Innovation Accelerator (NIA) Fellowships (2017), HSJ Patient Safety Awards - Education and Training in Patient Safety (2016) HSJ Patient Safety Awards- Patient Safety in Mental Health (2016), Epilepsy Foundation USA - SUDEP Challenge (2016), NIHR commercial principal investigators Award (2016).
Professor Rohit Shankar MBE FRCPsych, Professor of Neuropsychiatry at University of Plymouth and Consultant Psychiatrist in Neurodevelopment at CFT – Director of CIDER
Dr Richard Laugharne FRCPsych, Consultant Psychiatrist at CFT – Director of Mental Health Research in Cornwall and Deputy Director of CIDER
Dr David Branford PhD – Specialist pharmacist in intellectual disabilities
Professor Gyles Glover FRCPsych FFPH, Public Health Specialist
Dr Charlotte Annesley MRCP – Intellectual disability physician
Dr Kirsten Lamb MRCGP – Chair RCGP – ID special interest group
Mrs Helen Toker-Lester MBA – Social care and commissioning
Research Manager, Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Research & Innovation Team
Senior Researcher, Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Research & Innovation Team Honorary University Fellow - University of Plymouth, Peninsula Medical School (Faculty of Health)
Dr Jon Allard
Senior Clinical Studies Officer | Academic Lead, Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Research & Innovation Team Honorary University Fellow - University of Plymouth, Peninsula Medical School (Faculty of Health)
Clinical Studies Officer/Occupational Therapist Cornwall Partnership NHS Trust Research & Innovation Team
Research Nurse & Staff Governor, Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Research & Innovation Team
Clinical Studies Officer, Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Research and Innovation Team
University of Plymouth collaborators
External collaborators - academic:
- University of Exeter Medical School: Professor Jonathan Mill and Professor William Henley
- Falmouth University: Mr Brian Clark
- UCL Institute of Neurology: Professor Matthew Walker and Professor Ley Sander
- University of Birmingham - Professor John Terry
- University of Sheffield - Professor Dan Goodley
- University of Cardiff - Professor Ian Jones and Dr Lance Watkins
National Institute of Health Research (NIHR)
- Southwest Peninsula Clinical Research Network (CRN)
- Southwest Peninsula Academic Health Science Network (AHSN)
- Peninsula Applied Research Collaboration (PenARC)
Life Science Industry:
- Eisai Co. Ltd
- UCB Inc.
- Bial Pharmaceutical Co
- Liva Nova
- UN EEG medical
- GW pharma
Charities and clinical networks:
- SUDEP Action
- Epilepsy Action
- Learning Disability Professional Senate
- Faculty of the Psychiatry of Intellectual Disability
- Royal Society of Medicine
- Neuronostics Ltd
- Psychoanalytica Community interest Company (CiC)
Research and innovation – Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Our research team deliver clinical research throughout Cornwall
Research is a vital component of NHS care to determine the best treatments and services for improving the nation's mental and physical wellbeing. Our Trust is a research-active NHS trust, meaning that research and adding to the evidence base for healthcare form a key element of our services.