Postgraduate application for international students

Applying for postgraduate study

The University aims to make the application procedure as simple and efficient as possible. Our Admissions team is on hand to offer help and can put you in touch with the appropriate faculty if you wish to discuss any programme in detail. The Doctoral College is also available to answer any queries on our postgraduate research degrees –

If you have a disability and would like further information about the support provided by the University, please visit our Disability Services website. Support is also available to overseas candidates applying to the University from our International Admissions Team via

If you would like to speak to one of our course information advisors, please contact us:

Submitting an application

Please use the online form for your application:

Additional guidance information can also be downloaded on how to complete the form.

Applying for a postgraduate taught or postgraduate research programme

Are you an international student ready to apply for your place on a taught or research postgraduate programme at the University of Plymouth? Simply complete the application form online.

  • Postgraduate online application form
  • To find out more about applying for a research degree, please visit the how to apply for a research degree page.

    For entry requirements, including English language requirements, visit the specific information page for the programme you're interested in, or see our country information page.

    Completing your application

    It’s important to include all the necessary information so we can process your application as quickly as possible.

    Don’t forget to send:

    • Your fully completed and signed application form.
    • Original, or certified copies, of your qualifications to date, for example first degree certificate and full transcripts. 
    • Two references; at least one from an academic who has taught you. Both must be on headed paper and in sealed envelopes, signed across the seal by your referees. We also accept references from institutional email, directly to
    • A copy of the information page of your current passport (inform us immediately if you get a new passport at any time before you come to the UK to study).
    • A copy of any previous or current UK visa.
    • Any English language qualification you have to date - for example: IELTS or PTE Academic. See our English language requirements on our country information sheets or email us at for details of other tests accepted.
    • Your curriculum vitae (CV) or resume detailing relevant work experience, if you feel it will contribute to your application.
    • Your personal statement. This is a short essay or letter, written by you and explaining your reasons for applying to the University. Explain why you feel the University should offer you a place on the course, using previous study and/ or work experience, as well as your personal interests, to support this. Make particular and detailed reference to the degree course you are applying for.

    Sending in your application

    Scan and email your documents to Your original documents, or in some cases certified copies, may be required later on as one of the conditions on your offer letter.

    Or post your documents to:

    University of Plymouth Admissions
    Drake Circus
    PL4 8AA
    United Kingdom

    We’d recommend posting by courier or recorded delivery for speed and security.

    Your offer letter

    Conditional offer letters will be sent to you by email, so make sure you put your current email address on your application form and check this email regularly. Unconditional letters will also be sent to you by email after all the conditions of your offer have been met.

    What happens next?

    Once your conditions have been met, we’ll need your £2,000 tuition fee deposit. Then we’ll send you the CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies). You’ll need your unconditional letter, and the CAS if you need to apply for a student visa to study in the UK.

    For more information about student visas, and to find out if you need one, visit International Student Advice (ISA) and select 'I am a new student'.

    Important information: the University of Plymouth is a licensed Student visa (formerly Tier 4) Sponsor under the Points Based System and holds Student visa Sponsor status. To comply with our duties as a sponsor, we’re required to check other aspects of your application in addition to your academic achievements. That means we’ll look at previous studies in the UK and other aspects outlined in UKBA guidance for sponsors.