ATAS requirements (Academic Technology Approval Scheme)
If you require immigration permission to study in the UK, including on a Student (formerly Tier 4) visa, Skilled Worker visa (formerly Tier 2), Spouse and many other visa categories, please note that you may be required to obtain an ATAS certificate prior to enrolment, even if you will only study in the UK for a short period of time. 
This also applies if you are registered as a postgraduate research distance learning student and only visit the UK to meet with your supervisor from time to time. Please note that if you are required to obtain an ATAS certificate in order to spend periods of time in the UK, please ensure you carry the ATAS certificate, and your Visitor visa letter in your hand luggage, to assist UKVI officers at the border.
Our admissions teams will inform you if the CAH code of the programme you will study on requires ATAS clearance.
Please note that if you are required to hold an ATAS certificate we will keep a copy of this in our records and your enrolment may be delayed if you have not obtained an ATAS certificate as part of your visa application. If you hold existing immigration permission you may still be required to obtain an ATAS certificate for study on applicable courses, prior to enrolment.
For more information, please read the Government pages about the ATAS requirement here. 
If you extend your studies you may also be required to obtain a new valid ATAS certificate. Please check this with Student Services by emailing