Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) requirements

Types of applicant who need an ATAS certificate to study in the UK

Applicants who require immigration permission to study in the UK

This includes those who require a Student visa, a Skilled Worker visa, a Dependant visa and many other visa categories. You may be required to obtain an ATAS certificate before you can enrol, even if you will only study in the UK for a short time (e.g., if you are a visiting research student).
If you hold existing immigration permission in the UK, you may still be required to obtain an ATAS certificate before enrolment to study on applicable courses. 
The ATAS requirement also applies if you are registered as a postgraduate research distance learning student and only visit the UK to meet with your supervisor occasionally or attend an assessment, such as your viva voce examination, or any other visits to the UK related to your research degree.
If you are required to obtain an ATAS certificate to study in the UK, please ensure you carry this certificate and any other relevant documentation in your hand luggage to assist UKVI officers at the border.
Our admissions staff will inform you if the programme you will study on requires ATAS clearance, based on the CAH3 code for that programme. Please do not apply for your ATAS certificate until you have received your offer letter from the University, so you can ensure the course title and other details are correct in your ATAS application. If you need an ATAS certificate but have not obtained one, or if any of the details are incorrect, your enrolment may be delayed. 
For more information, please read the Government pages about the ATAS requirement

If you need to extend your visa

If you extend your studies, you may also be required to obtain a new valid ATAS certificate.