We are very proud of the support we offer you and we place an emphasis on developing your oral and written professional communications skills. This greatly enhances your employability. Our optional placement year is a highly recommended way to gain commercial experience and opens doors into well paid jobs.
I gained a role in an actuarial firm for my placement year, which enabled me to have an insight into working life before completing my degree. My placement helped me to develop professional competencies that are transferable to any career, such as leadership and teamwork. Furthermore, my improved ability to manage deadlines and pace my workload, really helped during my final year at university. I also feel my placement year has really helped enhance my CV, and has given me something to talk about in interviews – competency questions are much easier when answering with examples from my placement. As an added bonus, I now also have brilliant professional contacts to provide references, and offer advice on careers in the insurance sector.
Sophie Day, placement with Swiss Re
BSc (Hons) Mathematics with Finance
- Option pricing: analytical and finite difference methods.
- Applications of deterministic and stochastic differential equations.
- Option pricing using analytical and Monte Carlo methods.
- Rationally pricing financial barrier options.
- Pricing basket options.
- The pricing of Asian options with random interest rate and random volatility.